Replace Cliff Tile?

JeveKnight

Reaction score
What I want to do, is replace my sunken ruins "Ruined Wall" Cliff with Ashenvale Grass Cliff, that way I have grass cliffs instead of the Sunken Ruin's walls.
Anyone here know how I can do that?
BTW I have no idea how to replace Cliff Types, I know how to replace/add tiles and add additional ones in New Gen but I have no idea how to alter the cliff types so if anyone could help me out I would give you a +Rep.

JeveKnight

Reaction score
I don't see a way to do it.
Seems you can only swap the two cliff types you already have.

I've seen people do it plenty of times.
Is there a way I can replace the cliff type via a custom path, or something to overwrite the previous path (Change path of sunken ruins Ruined Wall to Ashenvale Grass Cliff)?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
You can change the textures of the cliffs by importing a new .blp and giving it the name of the texture file you want to replace.

Use the Ashenvale tileset and replace the dirt cliff with sunken ruins dirt cliff to get what I think you want.

Edit: You'll find .mpq editing programs and image editing programs in the useful tools thread, stickied on this forum.
Let me know if you need more specific help

JeveKnight

Reaction score
You can change the textures of the cliffs by importing a new .blp and giving it the name of the texture file you want to replace.

Use the Ashenvale tileset and replace the dirt cliff with sunken ruins dirt cliff to get what I think you want.

Edit: You'll find .mpq editing programs and image editing programs in the useful tools thread, stickied on this forum.
Let me know if you need more specific help

Actually I have Sunken Ruins tileset and I want the Ashenvale Grass Cliff to replace the Ruined Walls (In other words, I DONT want sunken ruins ruined walls, rather I DO want ashenvale Grass Cliffs)

Also, do I have to find the path for Sunken Ruins walls in order to replace the walls with the Ashenvale Grass Cliff path?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Well, ok. You'll end up with squared Ashenvale grass cliff, but that might be just what you want. Is it?

Edit: While browsing the .mpqs I found the file TerrainArt\CliffTypes.slk
It seems to be controlling all the cliff types. Open it in Excel and start experimenting. Then import the modified .slk to your map. Restart the editor and watch the changes. I think this can do everything you want.

Later when I get time I'm also going to experiment with the file to see what's possible.

Have fun

JeveKnight

Reaction score
Hmmm I think it should work but I really dont like the idea of the grass cliff being square. If this is an inevitable fact, then I won't really bother with it because it'll throw off my map completely.
But thanks for the information on importing cliff tilesets.
P.S. would it be square?

EDIT: Actually I could go another direction and replace the Sunken Ruins Dirt Cliff with the Ashenvale Grass Cliff, It doesnt have to be the walls to replace as long as I get the Grass Cliff in the map.

I just have a couple questions: Would the imported file need a path decifering whether the Walls or Dirt Cliff get replaced, and would the Improted file have to be a certain file type or is that already taken care of?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I believe I can figure out something that will give you both the sunken dirt cliffs and ashenvale grass cliff. Give me some time and I'll edit this post.

Edit: After trying to modify both the CliffTypes.slk and Terrain.slk I found no changes was made to the game. I don't know why.

I went on to try to change the cliff textures like I suggested first, but was then unable to find the texture for sunken cliffs. In war3.mpq all cliff textures are located in ReplaceableTextures\Cliffs. In war3x.mpq there is no folder named Cliffs there, and no matter where I look for any of the expansion cliff textures, I can't find them. Without knowing where the texture files are located there is no way to replace them. I have tried searching for words like "cliff" "ruins" without any luck.

I'm sorry, but I am unable to help you with this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.