[Report] Will The iPod Kill Blockbuster?

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Burlingame, Calif. - Forget the cavernous big box stores that laid waste to the retail landscape a decade ago. Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs' tiny iPod has turned his company into a category killer for the digital era--first wiping out music stores and now, potentially, the corner video store.

Starting in mid-January, the Cupertino, Calif., computer and gadget maker will take on Blockbuster (nyse: BBI - news - people ) and Netflix (nasdaq: NFLX - news - people ) by renting movies from Fox on its iTunes digital media store, according to a report first published in the Financial Times earlier this week.

While older models of the iPod--and its low-end iPod Shuffle--can't play digital video, the gadgets now have a proven record of disruption, with customers bypassing record stores to tap into illegal distribution networks, along with Apple's (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) iTunes music store, to fill the up their devices

Interested?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, Capitalism.

It's in the air.
How refreshing. :D

I have seen an iPod that can play videos as well.
I do not own one, but I've seen and heard of them.

Check this out.
Fast food restaurants are starting to use video iPods for training their crew.
They make short, informative videos that get distributed to people on iPods. It's actually quite ingenious.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Thats weird, whats next groceries stores get dominated by Amazon? :p

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
Orc_Tamer said:
Thats weird, whats next groceries stores get dominated by Amazon? :p
Safeway does shopping online...

Reaction score
Blockbuster is so fun. Unless Apple will let you download games to your computer, or let you get console games.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
who in the right mind who care to watch a video on a 1 inch screen.....when you can watch it on your 50" LCD TV?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.