Riddles

S

Siyanor

Here's a riddle:

A man is sitting at home reading when, suddenly, his son is struck with a terrible illness, and would surely die within a few days. The man knew of only one way to cure it. The man's father had told him of a garden, only fifteen minutes from the man's house on foot, with hundreds of varieties of plants, cut into hundreds of equally sized sections with only one type of plant in each part. There was one plant that could cure any ailment. However, the man's father told him that no one could leave the section of the garden that contained the plant until a hundred years after picking it. If this is true, how is the man able to return home with the plant to cure his son?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Reach over? Take it from a dead body w/ some? Throw his son in there? Get off the crack & ecstasy?

S

Siyanor

Reach over? Take it from a dead body w/ some? Throw his son in there? Get off the crack & ecstasy?

None of those are correct.
If he reaches over, his arm will be in the region. So that doesn't work.
Any dead bodies would still be in the region.
He isn't American, he has a frontal lobe.. so neither of the last two will work.

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
Siyanor's Riddle
The man's father lied, you can leave at any time
Before saying I'm wrong, I want to know why my answer can't be right(I'm positive you'll classify it as wrong...)

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Sacrafice someone else? It doesn't say that the plant can't get out before 100 years.
@trb92
"If this is true"
Read the whole thing...

S

Siyanor

Sacrafice someone else? It doesn't say that the plant can't get out before 100 years.
@trb92
"If this is true"
Read the whole thing...

How would you get the someone else out?

trb92

Reaction score
>"If this is true"
Damn, missed that part.

How about this answer?

Find someone that has, very conviently, already been in there for the 100 years and you just happened to catch them and steal their plant on the way out?

S

Siyanor

>"If this is true"
Damn, missed that part.

How about this answer?

Find someone that has, very conviently, already been in there for the 100 years and you just happened to catch them and steal their plant on the way out?

No, it's something he definitely can do. BTW, it's like a DBQ in AP History classes.. one piece of vital information is missing.

trb92

Reaction score
Hmm..
The Riddle said:
However, the man's father told him that no one could leave the section of the garden that contained the plant until a hundred years after picking it

After picking, not after entering. Perhaps he just cut part of the plant, and didn't pick the entire thing. That wouldn't count, so he'd be able to leave? Maybe?

S

Siyanor

Hmm..

After picking, not after entering. Perhaps he just cut part of the plant, and didn't pick the entire thing. That wouldn't count, so he'd be able to leave? Maybe?

Hmm, well, I suppose that would work, but that isn't the answer I was looking for. The answer is much simpler than that. And you aren't taking into account any missing information.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Dig the plant out, instead of picking it (roots and all) and then bring that to his son. He didn't pick it, at least not until he got home, so it should work.

S

Siyanor

He does pick the entire plant, and there is no magical means by which he is contained within the area.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Siyanor, how about

Use one of those really long trimmers with huge handles? Cut a piece and sort of drag it along the floor with the trimmers until it's out of the place?

S

Siyanor

Been tried.

What has been tried..? I made the riddle :p I was giving you a hint.

Sevion, he does pick the flower WITH HIS HANDS while his entire body is within the region, and is able to go home (notice I didn't say he is able to leave).

Tharius

Occasionally Around
Reaction score
That's impossible.... it said "fifteen minutes from the man's house on foot" meaning that the garden is outside the man's house, and that he had to "return home", meaning that it's separate from his house. Therefore, the garden is neither an indoor garden in an extremely large house, or a giant garden adjacent to his house.

S

Siyanor

Ok.. hint..

Under what conditions would it be physically impossible to leave a place?

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Ok.. hint..

Under what conditions would it be physically impossible to leave a place?

None. If there is a reason that he can't leave, it should be specified, not just "he can't leave."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.