Sci/Tech Ryerson students invent breakthrough brain-controlled prosthetic arm

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
Two Ryerson University undergraduate biomedical engineering students are changing the world of medical prosthetics with a newly developed prosthetic arm that is controlled by brain signals. The Artificial Muscle-Operated (AMO) Arm not only enables amputees more range of movement as compared to other prosthetic arms but it allows amputees to avoid invasive surgeries and could potentially save hundreds of thousands of dollars. The AMO Arm is controlled by the user's brain signals and is powered by 'artificial muscles' - simple pneumatic pumps and valves - to create movements. In contrast, traditional prosthetic limbs – which typically offer more limited movements – rely on intricate and expensive electrical and mechanical components.

Full Story Here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who would had guessed it would be some Canadians to invent something like this. I bet most people thought Japan or America would be the ones to achieve this.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Canada actually has a very good history when it comes to inventions of medical things.

also, cyborg time soon?

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
I smell superhuman strength and flexibility in this new series of prosthetic arms. I Robot style.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Seriously, who can afford it?

$80,000, depending on the complexity of the prosthesis. Other prosthetic arms with a similar degree of control require patients to undergo a complex muscle re-innervation
surgery – a complicated procedure that costs about $300,000 and is not available in Canada and not covered by the provincial health plan.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Oh darn, I lost my arm, time to upgrade to a better one!

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think this was posted a month or two ago. Not really too impressive how it functions, but better than nothing I guess.

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
I think this was posted a month or two ago. Not really too impressive how it functions, but better than nothing I guess.

I don't think it was, maybe something close to it, but not this. I say that because I posted this the same day I saw it on the news. Seeing as I live in the same city as these two guys that did this I have to assume its more recent news.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I'm sure they announced what they were doing a long time ago. Probably didn't actually have it done though, and needed funding or something.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Yeah I was more impressed with that one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.