save/load

vexoh

Reaction score
Hi, Im in desperate need of help with a trigger, I need to know how to make a simple Save/Load trigger for hero's and items for my RPG, i have looked at EVERY Guide/Tutorial on Every Sight, and their all so complicated and i dont understand...
Dont say "If you dont understand it, its probly not for you" or something like that, Because this is for me and i really want to finish my RPG, all i need is this save/load trigger, when its written, is when i cant understand it, If anyone has a Link to a video guide of how to do it, That should be perfect, If not i would really really appreciate if someone could take me through a step by step tutorial on how to do it, Im really desperate..
Please!

vexoh

Reaction score
When i click the Link it downloads something, and i cant open it, Mabey i dont have the right programme, When i copy n paste it.. It takes me to hive workshop Tutorials Page

vexoh

Reaction score
Ok i found the Map and the tutorial, Both im not understanding.. It doesnt tell me what to do, How can i figure it out for myself, Its just telling me about it??? I need an actuall tutorial
step 1. blahblahblahblah
step2. blahblahblahblah
Like that, Every single tutorial just tells me about random shit and numbers, Why cant any tutorial Tell me HOW to make the trigger...

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Actually, the download does show you examples on how to make it.

vexoh, save/load is pure math... the code is all 100% math, and simple math at that.

you need a catalog and then you need to combine the numbers and then you need to convert to a string and then display and you're done ;o.

There is no set procedure to doing a save/load system, they are map specific. This is the reason why the tutorial you really want doesn't exist. You have to make your own save/load system from scratch if you want good save/load. It's either that or use AceHart's for bleh save/load =P.

Here is a quick example
JASS:

local BigInt i = BigInt.create()
call i.add(50)
call i.multiply(201)
call i.add(150)
set i.base = Base["0123456789ABCDEF"]
call DisplayTimedTextToPlayer(GetLocalPlayer(),0,0,10,i.toString())

As you see, pure math :\.

vexoh

Reaction score
But where do i start where do i finish?? I dont get it :'( Mabey u could guide me through it bit by bit, Because i just have save/load trigger left to do and if i cant do that.. then my RPG.. Isnt an RPG, :(
I dont understand how their cant be a guide, step 1: Make a trigger do blahblah...ect like that :((((

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Because it's map specific.

A good save/load resource is made up of many other resources that are used to make your own save/load stuff. The only thing that isn't map specific is the math and general techniques, which are what the tutorials cover =). What you want to save is your business, and each thing of saved data has its own special techniques that can help compress it and so on.

You really need to do that interactive tutorial and look inside the map at the code. For example, when stuff is saved, you can look at the code to see how that stuff was saved. It also has 8 or 9 lessons on catalog design + how to save using those catalogs. I guarantee that you will be a save/load master if you do the entire tutorial (like 80 lessons?). If you don't want to do the interactive tutorial (the map that you open up and run), then you'll just have to rely on the web tutorials, which are nowhere near as good.

It really sounds like you don't understand what save/load stuff even is. The interactive tutorial takes you from knowing nothing to knowing some of the most advanced stuff you can do in save/load =).

I am not going to walk you through it step by step because the interactive tutorial already does that. If you don't want to work through it, then that's your problem ^_^.

Also, if you read the start of even the web tutorial, you should know what a save/load code is and how to do it. After all, it shows you a code using things like unit type id
JASS:

local integer saveCode = GetUnitTypeId(playerUnit)

call DisplayTimedTextToPlayer(GetLocalPlayer(),0,0,10,"Your Code Is: "+I2S(saveCode))

vexoh

Reaction score
the interactive tutorial is mostly full off JASS triggers but ok ill give it a go and read it all...

OMGOMGOMG

UMBWGMG (Unidentified Human Being.)
Reaction score
Please fix the link, Nestharus. I tried downloading it and here's the error I got from the site

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the
administrator

njb013

Reaction score
Okay, downloaded the file, put it in the scenario folder in WC3, but it doesn't show up as a playable map. Something I'm doing wrong?

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
put it in your downloads folder ;p

edit
72 interactive lessons (including practice problems and demonstrations), 8 lessons in the map, 5 catalog demonstrations in the map, 1 advanced save/load demonstration in the map. Each interactive demo also has easy to read code so you can see how I did them : ).

The map has 86 things total excluding resources to help in save/load so you can play around with the stuff in the map ^_^.

njb013

Reaction score
put it in your downloads folder ;p
Not sure you understand. Downloaded it in Chrome (automatically puts it in the download folder, for one thing), and then copied it into the Maps directory in the Warcraft 3 folder. Shows up when I open the folder in the World Editor, but not when I browse the folder in RoC or in TFT.

Kayoss666

Reaction score
make a folder inside of the maps folder called downloadedmaps and put the map in there and see if you can find it cause i had to do that once.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.