SC2 3D fanart, Pylon WIP

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Decided to post WIP (work in progress) of a SC2 Pylon which I am doing, model itself is ready. Texturing is next thing to do. I was inpatient and wanted to see how it looks really quickly. So I made quick (in my terms XD) texture:
My version:
attachment.php

Now real Starcraft 2 Pylon, isn't it cute?
pylon_1.jpg

I know my crystal is missing transparency, I tried to do it, but failed. Texture is going to be pain in the ass to draw because of these symbols on Pylon ring.
My Pylon seems kinda gray, though I like it overall. Burst of creation took me around 4 hours (mostly modeling, 1h texture -- I am not good at it).

Technical info: it has triangles and 4-gons (squares? Polygons <5) and around 200 vertecies (or was it faces XD).

EDIT: Made with Blender (3D) and the Gimp (Texture).

Attachments

• SC2_Pylon_WIP.jpg
    SC2_Pylon_WIP.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,335

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
Nice, I'd like to see the finished product.

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
nothing wrong with borrowing the crystal doodads skin from wc3; so you can have the crystal have a good look.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback, using Warcraft 3 crystal texture is good idea. Also I try to not use copyrighted material (textures that I use) because I am not sure is such use seen as "fair use". I took current crystal and orange ring texture from cgtextures.com, I had to register first there.

I am tired, after resting I start making new texture -- it can take time. Starting takes time, when I have fired up the Gimp I finish texture from half hour to one hour.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
I announce this Pylon project finished. I have still long road to walk when speaking about texturing. I have difficulties knowing where my painted texture ends on model in the end. I used model painting to draw out main lines.
This model looks so childish, like a 7 year drawn:
Still I am happy I finished this project from start to end:
attachment.php

Bit much light, makes it really colourful, at least you can see what is on picture.

Attachments

• Pylon_Ready.jpg
    Pylon_Ready.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,206

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
I honestly think you need to increase the polygon count. I would like to see the circle more of a doughnut shape.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
You all tell me right things. Improving texturing is in my priority list.
I have a idea how to make ring look like a ring. Weekend is coming, I may find time to model and practice texturing.

Off-topic: Whitesock commented my work, whohoo!

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
I have managed to work on Pylon at weekend, you will not believe how much I have evolved in modeling. This time I started from scratch, it is smoother and more accurate to SC2 Pylon. In my previously posted pictures I have interpreted Pylon shape wrongly (Not that I currently know it all). Model with wire-frame, you can peek to kitchen side of modeling now (Who has read this thread can spot one joke on "start menu" bar):

attachment.php

EDIT: Currently ~260 polygons (quads and triangles), I have set limit for myself to around 300 polygons (default Warcraft 3 small building polygon count).

Attachments

• Pylon-2-WIP.png
    Pylon-2-WIP.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,175

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Your Pylon looks better with my polys.

Poly..pylon. I thought it was funny.

But yea, that newer one looks great, let's see it textured. :D

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
I can show now finished model, I gave it material colours and a transparent crystal. This time image is sized to fit thread and has different view angles.
I have no idea when I create UV Map and start to create texture (Texturing scares me, I am not good at it, I have to learn using the Gimp more):

attachment.php

Polygon count end up ~ 350, I have busted the limit of 300. Though no worries.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Pylon-2-Views-WIP.jpg
    Pylon-2-Views-WIP.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,088

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Oh man it looks pretty good now. I like! :thup:

Yeah, smack some textures on that thing and try to act suprised when blizzard tries to get you for stealing:D

I mean that with the right textures it can look almost like the blizzard one:)

You could add a few polys to those big pointy things on the ring tho, but that can look just as good with the right texture:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.