UK News Schools ban children making best friends

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
TEACHERS are banning schoolkids from having best pals — so they don't get upset by fall-outs.

Instead, the primary pupils are being encouraged to play in large groups.

Educational psychologist Gaynor Sbuttoni said the policy has been used at schools in Kingston, South West London, and Surrey.

She added: "I have noticed that teachers tell children they shouldn't have a best friend and that everyone should play together.

"They are doing it because they want to save the child the pain of splitting up from their best friend. But it is natural for some children to want a best friend. If they break up, they have to feel the pain because they're learning to deal with it."

More about it here.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This is paradox.

You are to play in large groups = making friends. You are not allowed to make best friend = paradox.

Making best friend != making friends?

I'm confused.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
next thing: you are not allowed to have a boyfriend/girlfriend, you must "play" together

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
iDontWantToLiveOnThisPlanetAnymoreLandscape.png
But seriously... pain is a part of life, in fact, you'll probably be putting them in more pain by not letting them have a best buddy.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I was about to say they're trying to create a controlled Utopia (Is that the word?) where there is no pain. Scary.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
The issue is that this so-called "Utopia" is a farse, and will be exposed to rejection and the formation of strong, best-friendship at some point.

Sheltering kids is an awful, awful idea. Exposing them to make their own choices when it comes to friends is the correct thing to do. This school is trying to hinder the social growth of students with their actions imo.

eellem1

Life is made of the little things, live it well
Reaction score
Sheltering children only causes more trouble for their future. Idiots!!!

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
This article makes sense, having best friends is evil, You have something to lose if they get mad at you.

Moral -> So if you have something to lose it my hurt your feelings....

take away everything from everyone -> Everyone will have nothing to lose.
They can never get upset... Makes sense..

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
take away everything from everyone -> Everyone will have nothing to lose.
They can never get upset... Makes sense..
So what happens when they reach adulthood? hmm
Seriously, suggest that a child will suffer socially if they have a best friend is ridiculous!

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
ok in one sense i think its stupid to tell them not to make best friends...but i like the idea of telling them all to play together in large groups instead of clicks. I think then as the kids get older, especially high school, all kids willmix and get along better.might also cause less bullying too

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.