Report Scientists uncover transfer of genetic material - blood-sucking insects and mammals

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Researchers at The University of Texas at Arlington have found the first solid evidence of horizontal DNA transfer, the movement of genetic material among non-mating species, between parasitic invertebrates and some of their vertebrate hosts. The findings are published in the April 28 issue of the journal Nature.

Genome biologist Cédric Feschotte and postdoctoral researchers Clément Gilbert and Sarah Schaack found evidence of horizontal transfer of transposon from a South American blood-sucking bug and a pond snail to their hosts. A transposon is a segment of DNA that can replicate itself and move around to different positions within the genome. Transposons can cause mutations, change the amount of DNA in the cell and dramatically influence the structure and function of the genomes where they reside.

"Since these bugs frequently feed on humans, it is conceivable that bugs and humans may have exchanged DNA through the mechanism we uncovered. Detecting recent transfers to humans would require examining people that have been exposed to the bugs for thousands of years, such as native South American populations," Feschotte said.

Whole article here.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
not really surprising.

I've read articles that suggest that significant percentage of our DNA comes from bacteria, viruses, etc..

I've also read articles that talk about horizontal or non-linear or whatever evolution.

Seprest

Reaction score
Yeah, the mutations they get are more likely to be deadly to the organism.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Yeah, the mutations they get are more likely to be deadly to the organism.

yeah

Transposons can cause mutations, change the amount of DNA in the cell and dramatically influence the structure and function of the genomes where they reside.

I think this kind of changing in the DNA is related to Cancer.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I think this kind of changing in the DNA is related to Cancer.

I agree with this opinion. I told this to my family, and they don't believe it. So, just to get this right, DNA changes, so the effects may be immediate and not only found in the parents' offspring?

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
So is this what happened to mosquito man hehe.....
No wonder man is starting to act more of an animal this few decades, the animal DNA is starting to grow in us noooo.....

Durandal

Reaction score
I agree with this opinion. I told this to my family, and they don't believe it. So, just to get this right, DNA changes, so the effects may be immediate and not only found in the parents' offspring?

Yea it makes sense

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.