UK News Seven-year-old Briton Oscar Selby advises UK government on finances

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
London, Aug 29 (Calcutta Tube) A seven-year-old maths prodigy, who became the youngest Briton to gain the top grade in GCSE maths, now advises the government on the country’s finances, a media report said Sunday.

Oscar Selby, who last week got an A* at less than half the age at which most pupils take the exam, has demonstrated a new talent – advising the Chancellor of the Exchequer on the nation’s finances, Daily Mail reported on its website.

Oscar took a break from building sandcastles on holiday Saturday to urge George Osborne to cut taxpayer funding to the banks and ask for cash they have borrowed to be paid back.

Asked how he would tackle Britain’s biggest maths problem – the 170.8-billion-pound budget deficit – he advocated raising taxes and creating jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Well now, im sure Trigonomotry, Pythagoras Theorem, Circumferences, Simultaneous Equations will come in handy when settling the financial instabilities of the UK.

Maths GCSE's isnt hard at all, it just requires you to remember alot of stuff and to remember how to use it. Yes there is some possibly useful stuff in a situation like this (Averages... which isnt hard. Most likely more stuff.)

Atleast we know who to blame when it gets worse.

Also, after re-reading my post, i've realised that this is a tad bitter and sarcastic. My apologies, and my apologies that I lack faith in the UK's Government.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
By itself, it's nothing special, but at age seven, it is. So it's like training for him. When he's older, he can help more (possibly). Or at least try.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
We know a government sucks when a 7 year old is the one giving financial advice.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
We know a government sucks when a 7 year old is the one giving financial advice.

You could get a 2 year old to advise the Obama Administration on foreign affairs. It doesn't mean they'll listen.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Read the article... I thought he was an actual prodigy... any 7 year old could say that... I take my words back D=<

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
His mother, actuary Natasha Regan, 39, said he had been learning about long-term saving through his favourite computer game, Bloons Tower Defense 4.

Players have to plant bananas and then pick them later, teaching them about the principles of investment.

Lolol.

Seriously, you want a better investment TD? Get him into Elemental TD. :p

His suggestion of investing more overseas cancels out the whole "let's remove our deficit" bit... I guess the article writer thought it was cute? I really hope for people on this forum that are from GB that the government isn't seriously listening to him and can think for themselves.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
First the US leaves their white president streak, then GB does this, it just keeps getting weirder and weirder:rolleyes:

What happens next?
Wow becomes free to play?
Koreans start sucking at Starcraft?
Elephants start to fly?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
His mother, actuary Natasha Regan, 39, said he had been learning about long-term saving through his favourite computer game, Bloons Tower Defense 4.

Players have to plant bananas and then pick them later, teaching them about the principles of investment.

Am I the only one thinking this is... stupid?

I mean, lots of people have played tons of games that teach the principles of investment in a better way than Bloons Tower Defense 4?

Example: I was an auction house goblin in WoW. I invested in lots of stuff, worked hard and gained about 48,000 gold when I stopped playing without grinding materials or daily quests.

This does not mean I find myself capable of solving the UK's financial problems.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Ah, but with tower defense - not only are you learning about investments - but also learning how to place towers for military purposes!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.