Other Sharpshooter Online - |Map of the Week #2|

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Sharpshooter Online - |Converting to Zombies|

Sharpshooter Online [v1.20b]

Sharpshooter Online is a team based first person shooter capable of being played with friends. Arrow keys are treated as if using a joystick rather than a mouse for aiming. Experience sharpshooting from a rifleman's eye in this remote mountain range war zone. Dominate your opponents by blending in with your environment and snipe them down one by one from extreme ranges. May the strongest team win, game ends after one team reaches 25 or 50 kills.

maps_16804_preview.jpg

Download
Sharpshooter Online v1.20b

Created by xXx-Tricky-xXx, additional credit to Uareanoob, Moronicizer, and Azur3wrath for all of their helpful contributions to the creation of this map.​

attachment.php

Updates:

Sharpshooter Online v1.20b Release

• Vast majority of changes and new additions, and will be noted at a later time.

Sharpshooter Online Beta v1.1 Release

• Knife ability has been tweaked and now also appropriately plays secondary sound when stabbed.

• Grenade explosion timing has been shortened by 1 sec.

• Tower steps are now aligned correctly, directly approach them to climb up.

• Game will now end after a team reaches a score of 50 with 6-10 players including computers, and a score of 25 with 1-5 players followed by a short victory and defeat cinematic.

• Health bars have been removed, and no longer appear on your screen.

• A few miscellaneous tweaks and fixes.

Features:

• Fully functional movement system via 'Arrow Keys'.
  • Complete scope view rotation via 'Arrow Keys'.
  • Dynamic shooting of head, chest, and leg body detection.
  • Destructible environment including barrels, trees, and walls.
  • Misc abilities such as knife, grenade, and sprint.

Additional Information:

• Arrow keys will move you around as well as rotate you while aiming.
  • To shoot press (T), but make sure you have remaining ammunition.
  • When you run out of ammunition the reload ability will appear. By pressing (R), you will begin reloading your weapon.
  • Pressing (S) will enable you to move faster until pressed again or when your breath runs out below your health.
  • When someone is too close to shoot, knife them! By pressing (E), you will attempt a fast and painful slash.
  • To throw a grenade, press (G), but remember you only have a few. Grenades are very useful for destroying building walls as well as players.
  • The aim feature is a magnified scope that appears when you press (A). You will not be able to move, but you can simply exit the mode by pressing (A) again.
  • The sensitivity control with the given camera icon will increase or decrease your aiming sensitivity. By first pressing (Q), three abilities slow(Q), medium(W), and fast(E) are given. These may be simultaneously pressed to prevent interruption of tweaking. Combinations are as followed: (Q-Q), (Q-W), (Q-E).
Most of all, have fun... It may be hard at first, but once you get the hang of the controls it gets easier.

Important:

Sharpshooter Online is currently a beta, therefore is not final and subject to change and be updated. For now, all updates, news, comments, and suggestions for this beta should be posted in this thread. Im posting this here due to many people wanting it even though I did not consider it near good enough quality to release and quit working on it for some time, but better now then never. Since it is currently in the very early stage, no more than 3-4 players will be able to play in a stable manor until a later time. Feel free to try more, but you will notice a large frame rate loss. Remember, this map is in no way perfect, it will have many bugs and issues. Anyone who wants the unprotected version due to curiosity or the interest of editing the map may email me at [email protected] or just private message me here on the forums. Unprotected version for everyone once I clean up the triggers to be editable, someone else may have to fix the lag issues.​

• It is also recommended host use List Checker, Dota Client, or any type of third party Lan program for better response time.

Screenshots:

28368406dt8.jpg
79819351nf6.jpg

69142978pr4.jpg
37816407tq5.jpg

54697642tz4.jpg
48297434qt6.jpg

77567798bb5.jpg

kay-p

Reaction score
I have tried it, I am very very impressed. I am going to try it over lan with my buddy today, and hopefully it will be nice. One thing i reacted on was that the turning was a tad unresponsive at times.
Also, will we see any of the nukes you showed in the trailers?

Advena

Just casually observing atm ;)
Reaction score
staskax said:
Looks epic ^^
Indeed it does!
I'll test it later and hopefully I like it then as much as I've decideed to like it atm :p

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
hm well. there are some points you should change about the gameplay.
first of all, please change the selection size of the sharp shooter to a negative value ^^ i saw my HP bar in front of my character.

your char is turning around if you hold down the Left/Right arrow key but not if you just click it once, that should be changed for better control of the sharp shooter.

you have also got some problems with the towers, i've tried to enter it but there was some kind of invisible wall, well finally i got it but it took me 4 tries.

and maybe you could make the weapon a little bit smaller because it takes a big part of your vision.

exept of those rather minor problems i like the game very much! keep working on it.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had been looking foward to that for a long time and I can say that I wasn't disspointed. A really well made game. Good luck for future versions and +rep for this one.

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
VERY good game.
If you need anything like putting a CTF mode or supply depot, PM me. I'd like to help...

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Well, I tested it shortly with one person.

The other guy had trouble with the senstivity.
It currently works like this:
Setting 1: Moves a tiny bit, slowly.
Setting 2: Moves a medium amount, at medium
Setting 3: Moves a large amount really fast

It would be nice if you could set it up by 1's, 5's, and 10's or somthing rather then preset settings. It would also be nice if the speed was adjustable, so you could move by really small amounts really fast, so you could tap the arrow key to move it by a little amount to aim, but turn around too shoot really fast as well. Preset settings are good because its easy to swich to them faster though.

Gernades need alot of work as well. They should be able to be aimed better. They seem to sit on the ground abit too long before exploding, and it would be nice if they bounced. Allthough this hardly matters, they could use a new model too. :p

Allthough I had no trouble, the other guy couldn't find a way into the towers. It doesn't stick out very much.

Why can't I knife barrels?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
lol Daskunk, you always find something "to-be-improved" to be posted. :p

Meh... I wish I had WCIII on this computer...

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
:D No offense to you, lol.

"Finally, I have WC available, I'm trying it now!"

EDIT: Ok, finished trying it out.

For a WCIII map, it was amazing. :) If you're going to continue, can't wait for the nukes and bombs and stuff.

The collision size and stuff was a bit of a problem. It was hard to walk inside buildings/near trees and other blockers, since there's only one way to move, and no Strafe Left/Right. Maybe you could make the collision smaller, because in real life, you would like move your body to fit through things and stuff.

Good job! :thup:

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Another thing:
Shanking doesn't work at close range. You have to be a few inches away from the target.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
I have tried it, I am very very impressed. I am going to try it over lan with my buddy today, and hopefully it will be nice. One thing i reacted on was that the turning was a tad unresponsive at times.
Also, will we see any of the nukes you showed in the trailers?

Glad you like it, personally I think it needs a ton of work though. You should be able to lan it with a friend or two before their computer bogs down. Arrow keys will probably be redone in Jass in the future since it runs faster which will cut off a bit of the delay but I am not doing it any time soon considering I am not very good with Jass and it is currently a very intensive trigger.

I had been looking forward to that for a long time and I can say that I wasn't disappointed. A really well made game. Good luck for future versions and +rep for this one.

Thanks, I still think it could be better if I wrote it in Jass rather than mostly GUI because it runs alot faster, but until I get better at it there will probably only be small individual Jass enhances here and there in the future unless members want to attempt to edit.

first of all, please change the selection size of the sharp shooter to a negative value ^^ i saw my HP bar in front of my character.

you have also got some problems with the towers, I've tried to enter it but there was some kind of invisible wall, well finally i got it but it took me 4 tries.

Hp bars has been fixed as well as the towers misaligned ladders.

your char is turning around if you hold down the Left/Right arrow key but not if you just click it once, that should be changed for better control of the sharp shooter.

This is very true, when you just tap the key nothing happens. I will be working on fixing this soon, the only problem is avoiding any extra periodic values in the already extensive values being ran thousands of cycles per second.

and maybe you could make the weapon a little bit smaller because it takes a big part of your vision.

Ill take this into consideration, resizing isn't a difficult task but a tedious one.

VERY good game.
If you need anything like putting a CTF mode or supply depot, PM me. I'd like to help...

:) I considered a CTF mode at one point, but until the map is reworked to support more than 3-4 players, I cant see it being something anyone would have fun with yet.

How did you remove the command buttons?

If by command buttons you mean the units movement abilities, the player selection is redirected to a corresponding building instead so you have less cluster and unable to right click.

It would be nice if you could set it up by 1's, 5's, and 10's or something rather then preset settings. It would also be nice if the speed was adjustable, so you could move by really small amounts really fast, so you could tap the arrow key to move it by a little amount to aim, but turn around too shoot really fast as well. Preset settings are good because its easy to switch to them faster though.

You bring up a good point that another mentioned. I will work on a solution for while you are aiming you can tap the key at a fast rate to get a small rotation change every time you tap it. I will also work on revising the sensitivity controls, my first intention was to simply have an increase and decrease you could click to change your speeds but there were issues with values going haywire so once I get time I will see if I can get it fixed.

Grenades need a lot of work as well. They should be able to be aimed better. They seem to sit on the ground a bit too long before exploding, and it would be nice if they bounced. Although this hardly matters, they could use a new model too.

Yeah, yeah, the grenades are horrible I am very aware of, lol. They are far from realistic but I wanted them to mainly be usable in some sense. The timing of the explosion will be tweaked to blowing up sooner but I am not sure how I could make it aim better. Bouncing was originally implemented but due to weird anomalies such as grenades bouncing up hills, I decided to take it out. Ill probably add a grenade model soon as well, I suppose I just simply forgot to do that.

The collision size and stuff was a bit of a problem. It was hard to walk inside buildings/near trees and other blockers, since there's only one way to move, and no Strafe Left/Right. Maybe you could make the collision smaller, because in real life, you would like move your body to fit through things and stuff.

This, unfortunately is not a problem with collision itself but with the Warcraft 3 camera and its undeniably large amount of flaws. I will tweak the settings more to accommodate for the distance between an object that you cant move any closer, but you will also have an increased amount of clipping that will result in partially chopped off sections of an object as you approach them.[/I]

Shanking doesn't work at close range. You have to be a few inches away from the target.

I will admit, the knife still isnt exactly working right. Because I have created almost everything in this map, some stuff I got sloppy with when creating. Ill be tweaking it somewhat so you wont be knifing someone beside you and nothing happens and the collision angles will be tweaked as well along with a stab sound when you kill someone with it.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
What exactly is there that has to be remade in JASS? I mean what gameplay systems have the highest prio on reworks?

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
well, the arrow keys will have a bit less delay time once they are done with jass rather than the generic BJ GUI uses. Whether or not its noticable it will still be slightly faster. Anything written in Jass over constructed GUI triggers will generally run faster on some cases to my knowledge.

the camera system however, is in most need of revision and to be honest there is no way within GUI parameters to improve it. My main goal right now is despite the problems, bugs, or whatever it may be, I want to allow more than 3-4 players to be able to play. The individual player currently runs aproximately 25-50,000 lines per second I believe, and with each extra player, it will mulitiply that again. Running approximately 200,000+ lines per second is far too much for your average pc to handle in the wc3 engine. It may even be a larger extent than that. Many features in the map were pulled out because of this such as the extra guns available and larger maps. Finding a solution to this is very difficult for me.

A solution I have pondered is the full usage of local vars so each player will only run their own set of triggers per second rather than each players since Pick every player and do actions, is (I think) considered to run all actions of each player for each player. A problem with this is desyncs, but there should be no global variables or specific variables for another player that would need to be known while running the locals. My Jass skill is very limited, therefore I could be incorrect on this but I beleive i am somewhat nearing the right concept.

Any jass experts, please feel free to comment and inform me about this matter. While the beta map is no where near perfect, again my main goal right now is to ease the cpu usage that is plauging the current map. While I am aware periodics (.01) has its problems, it should be no where near this extent. You will get an approximate 5-10 framerate dip for each player in the game for an average pc, and I believe this is due to the periodic running all the variables for all players, for each player if that is the way normal GUI triggers work. Considering all GUI vars are global(to my knowledge), when the periodic is ran and looped within the pick action, all 10 global variables along with their arrays will be simultatenously altered for each individual player. Again, this may make absoultely no sense at all, but this is to show how extensivly I have been brainstorming a solution and anyone who may have some thought or knowledge about this please feel free to speak up it will be greatly appriciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.