Other Sharpshooter Online - |Map of the Week #2|

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
if you mean by the rifleman not having the movement abilities, then i simply had it select a completely separate entity that had no movement at all therefore giving no commands. The rifleman in some sense is moved by arrow keys, but all the abilities are dummified.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Beta v1.1 is now available, consists of a few fixed that were problems mentioned here that I thought should be fixed now. Rest hopefully fixed in the next version.

Link has been updated on front page as well.

Sharpshooter Online Beta v1.1 Release

• Knife ability has been tweaked and now also appropriately plays secondary sound when stabbed.

• Grenade explosion timing has been shortened by 1 sec.

• Tower steps are now aligned correctly, directly approach them to climb up.

• Game will now end after a team reaches a score of 50 with 6-10 players including computers, and a score of 25 with 1-5 players followed by a short victory and defeat cinematic.

• Health bars have been removed, and no longer appear on your screen.

• A few miscellaneous tweaks and fixes.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
hm ok played your new version, very nice!

i got an idea for your grenades, why dont you make them like the aiming with the rifle? so that you can control the throw power with Left/Right arrow keys and the aim with Up/Down arrow keys?

and maybe you could add 2 skills to the selected structure to walk to the right/left, maybe with shortkeys Q and E.

And yeah i found something very interesting xDDD i was able to shoot down trees with my sniper rifle. Nice.

Maybe you should add more hiding places, like big burned out tanks or debris.

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Did you put pathing blockers on the bridge side? I didn't play the new version.
Also, I noticed that running up to someone and shooting them is much easier than knifing aka shanking.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
i got an idea for your grenades, why dont you make them like the aiming with the rifle? so that you can control the throw power with Left/Right arrow keys and the aim with Up/Down arrow keys?

At one point, I did actually have grenade aiming implemented, however I found myself spending too much time trying to aim it at someone running by rather than just an instant throw. I may re add it later once I get the framerate issue fixed.

and maybe you could add 2 skills to the selected structure to walk to the right/left, maybe with shortkeys Q and E.

If you are talking about a strafe, I will most definately add one, probably in the disguise of a double left or right arrow tap, but it will have to wait until the arrow key functions are redone in Jass whenever that happens.

And yeah i found something very interesting xDDD i was able to shoot down trees with my sniper rifle. Nice. Maybe you should add more hiding places, like big burned out tanks or debris.

yup :) trees can be shot and blown up, as well as the barrels around the map. You can also blow walls down on 4 of the buildings in the map, towers are not yet destructible however. Adding debris and specific areas with better cover is a good idea and ill see what I can do about that considering the enviroment is pretty much randomly generated every time you play differently for now.

Did you put pathing blockers on the bridge side? I didn't play the new version.
Also, I noticed that running up to someone and shooting them is much easier than knifing aka shanking.

Lol, I was hoping no one would notice but yes, the bridge is missing pathing blockers at the moment. I removed them because the way grenade works, it would hit the bridge isntead of going over it. Ill come up with something to fix it soon. Shanking is a bit better with 1.1, while the update is mostly just tweaks, I did improve the knife to be easier to kill with as well as a stab sound.

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
Just tried it. Amazing game. The delay is annoying though. I'm sure it'll be fun in multiplayer.

Stryke

Reaction score
I like it, it's fun. But DL takes way too long and controls are so HARD. lol
Mouselook would be sooo nice, but it's impossible. :(

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
No, it doesn't have WASD movement. That would require Reinventing the Craft which needs a 3rd party program to play online.

EDIT: Question: Why not shake the camera a bit to stimulate hard breathing. Also, maybe some terrain bonuses?

Pzygho

Reaction score
Really great map when I played it. Too bad I have no access to B-Net or LAN.

A couple of pointers: :confused:
-Collision with units is not applied.
-Sprinting burns Mana even when idle.
-Extended zoom should be added.
-Reload without empty clip should be added.

Everything else was good.

TyrealFEAR

Reaction score

W8 a tick how can u not go on bnet play wcIII and be on the forums? ure makin me confused
sprinting is burning mana because its a wcIII codeing thing cause u activated the ability its going to drain mana due to the buffs of the skill[what the skill does that isnt explictly shown or told like -4mps +50 ms] that means every second u have minus to mp so drain mana and plus to speed[the sprinting]
and yeah i agree it shud be like a for reg and z for even more zoom
[edited part]
There should be like hold breath cause i mean the swayin pissed me off if i remeber right it was sway

TyrealFEAR

Reaction score
No, it doesn't have WASD movement. That would require Reinventing the Craft which needs a 3rd party program to play online.

EDIT: Question: Why not shake the camera a bit to stimulate hard breathing. Also, maybe some terrain bonuses?

would not cause the triggs are like up arrow = move x ammount
so change it to w= move x ammount
right?
:banghead:

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Just played the map, I hate how when you move with the scope and take it off the camera stays as the scope was... It kinda aggrivated me a few times.

All in all, it's a good map. Nice work.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
ill post responses to all the new comments when I have time to sit down and go over each one. all comments are taken with thought so I hope more people will find time to download and try it out with a buddy and come here and post any comment or suggestion, good or bad.

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Quote:
How did you remove the command buttons?

If by command buttons you mean the units movement abilities, the player selection is redirected to a corresponding building instead so you have less cluster and unable to right click.

That is FUCKING GENIUS

Nina

Reaction score
Great map! I didn't play it with a friend yet but I played against some computers and killed em, used some abilities, went in buildings and it looks really nice:D

A question out of curiousity:p
I get how you get like the sniperscope but I can't figure out how it kills what's it aiming at units/doodads. Would be really nice if you could point me in the right direction^^

-Nina

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score

Unit collision hasnt been added yet, it just requires a bit of Jass and I havent gotten around to editing the movement functions again. The sprinting will be tweaked to disable sprint once you stop moving or will return mana while not moving Ill try both. In all honesty, I thought the current zoom magnification was more than enough considering the current map size. There really is not much I can do to increase the magnification above what the wc3 engine supports. I simply made the reload only appear once you are out of ammunition to simplify the button interface for people so it appears much less cluttered. If there is enough room, I will change the way the reload works in the future.

There should be like hold breath cause i mean the swayin pissed me off if i remeber right it was sway

I will definately consider this. Easy to create, not too hard to implement. However, if done, the breathing factor would most likely be increased a little as well as horizonal breathing so it will give a circular motion instead of strictly up and down. Holding your breath will momentarily halt the rotation for x amount of seconds. I might try implementing this once the lag issue is solved, but while it may be much more realistic, it may be too difficult to use while online and with arrow keys but cool nevertheless.

Yes. as pureownage replied, this map does not have WASD movement. As much as I would love to have it as well as cursors, I did not want to result in using a third party program such as reinventing the craft, which I think doesnt even work with the new patch anyway. This was a simple hobby I worked on here and there over the year when I wasnt preoccupied by something else.

On a larger note, however, there has been a few people suggesting the use of awsd as a mere modifier. What this means is, while you cant exactly hold down any of the four keys and expect it to act like the arrow keys, it can still rotate your direction each time you press the key. This would give you a more precise aiming while you are magnified to whatever you are shooting at. Ability keys are instantly detected unlike arrow keys. So a larger picture of this would be if you are at maximum range of a moving target and considering the arrow keys are delayed, you may simply just tap the A or D key consequtively considering which way he is running, and it will slightly rotate your view giving you a quick and precise adjustment. There will probably be adjustment speeds as well that will coincide with the slow medium and fast settings already available so that it will function correctly depending on how fast you like the arrow keys to rotate. Merely a thought, but it may be too confusing for most, but helpful for some. Might be worth testing on a next version when I start working on it.

Just played the map, I hate how when you move with the scope and take it off the camera stays as the scope was... It kinda aggrivated me a few times.

Ill work on a fix for this, I cant simply reset the angle when you go out of aiming mode because I am sure a player might be in a tower aiming down and want to get a quick view of their surroundings so they leave aim mode for a quick second or two. If it reset every time you left aiming, it would be very tedious for players aiming down at people or far up to someone in a tower.

So what happened to your other fps with the diff guns or did u drop that and just go with the sniper?

I did have an assault rifle but it was removed due to map size and the amount of triggers it took. I dont know if I will add it in again or not.

I get how you get like the sniperscope but I can't figure out how it kills what's it aiming at units/doodads. Would be really nice if you could point me in the right direction^^

The complete shooting system uses right angles to form hit boxes. Those hit boxes then have formulas that are checked to determine whether or not the theoretical bullet collides with it. Its hard to explain without pasting the whole thing here and saying what each line does but you can add an infinite amount of hit boxes and change the settings to fit any object, but it just takes trial and error to get it to match up. For simplistic purposes, I just have a head box, a torso box, and an legs box. It isnt perfect nor entirely accurate, I basically gave a lot of leeway so that its not impossible to hit someone when playing online.

I have to go now and probably missed a few comments, so just re post it if you want. Still need more downloads and comments from here or hive, so I know its worth continuing to work on.

thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.