Other Sharpshooter Online - |Map of the Week #2|

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
well, i honestly dont think vehicles would fit well in a jungle/forest type map, get stuck in the hundreds of trees. ^_^ but, there could probably be multiple weapons, but i dont know how much sense that would make in a map called SHARPshooter. Although, a recent idea is that I could have a weapon modification system that you can purchase parts for your rifle and change it in many ways. so for example, you may start out at the beggning of the game with a simple rifle, and no attachments, so you are basically just running around with a single shot rifle with no scope just a crosshair and a slightly zoomed in crosshair when aiming. then, you may accumulate some gold from kills or completing a mission or something (i havent decided exactly how the online gameplay will go) and decide to buy a barrel extension, a scope, and some larger ammo and now you have longer range and accuracy, as well as a scope to aim in now and snipe. and because you have 1 a longer barrel, and 2 different ammunition, there would be a bit different sounds when firing the rifle, but essentially it would make more sense to modify a rifle completely than to have a bunch of different rifles that would be mostly the same anyway. another example may be, you buy say something called maybe a Loader, and it increases your ammo capacity for your weapon by XX amount, and maybe something like a Double trigger modification that would increase the rifles fire rate. I mean, there can be a lot of modifications i could come up with that don't exactly have to realistically make sense, but would at least add a lot of flexibility to the weapon you want.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
I guess if you dont want to do any game name modifacations and then re-release the game then that would be a very good idea. I like the idea of being able to modify your own gun to your own liking. For the vehicles you could just make it so when it comes close enough to a tree, it "runs over" it. Destroying it. Other then that it sounds good keep up the good work man :thup:

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Alright, well here is kind of what I have been thinking in terms of how 2.0 could improve over the current so that is actually fun.

For one reason or another, a lot of people have messaged me with similar comments how the map was cool but boring. Whether it was because there was no real objective other than to kill until the score reaches max, or because people simply don't stay more than a few minutes after dying constantly it all comes down to ideas that can fix this issue.

While this will now be a third person shooter instead, it will still probably be difficult for first time players and that can't really be helped but making it more interesting is definitely something that can be done and coming up with these ideas is currently what I am attempting to do. However, I dont really want to waste much more time arguing to myself what kind of game play I want to have when SC2 could possibly be right around the corner. So, here is basically a synopsis of what thus far I have come up with.

Players will fight together in teams of 2, this means there can be up to 5 teams, 10 players. The concept behind this is for a few reasons. One reason is having multiple teams of 2 will allow for a slightly more active and faster paced fighting since you will have a lot more enemies to be looking out for. The second reason directly connects to the first reason in that if it were simply a 5v5, most players would just run around on their own and you basically have 10 players running around wildly just looking for someone to shoot and there is no real purpose. The purpose behind teams of 2 is that it makes you and your team mate work together instead of just always being by yourself which in the long run results in much longer playability. You can, by all means still solo, but it will hurt your teammate since he will also be by himself, but if you plan to just solo then you would find it best to just join a team by yourself before the game starts.

In order to ensure the game stays active, the map will be based off territory control and objectives. It will be pretty simple, though, how it will work. Basically, to keep all the players constantly coming in contact with each other, each team will want to be constantly taking over territories (which will basically be buildings that stand out, or certain destinations with something unique in the village). Each time a team takes control of a territory by some means (possibly just standing at a flag, or some type if indicator) there team score increases periodically with every territory under control and when taking a territory of another enemy.

Now, I have taken in consideration that this would largely lead to nonstop running back and fourth to capture points, but in order to fight this, there will be objectives that will come up every minute or so. These objectives may be anything from a random team getting an objective of taking over an enemy territory and the other team gets the objective of defending it for xx seconds to an assassination objective to kill a certain player or team. The objectives can be endless once enough ideas are thought of. The reason a team would want to complete an objective is because they gain either bonus points for the team or money to buy equipment or weapon modifications.

So basically, the goal of the game is to have the highest team score for you and your partner, but in doing so you will have to try controlling as many areas as you can as well as completing the objectives randomly given to you to gather money for equipment and weapon stuff to help you as well as bonus points to your team score.

So, how does this sound in concept? I am basically looking to construct a way to prevent boring action less game play and I am hoping this will do the job. Objectives and capturing points would keep teams from just wondering around sitting in one area never seeing each other.

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
He uses abilities probaby and then detect when the spell is cast and set a boolean if he presses it again, order the unit to "stop"

Also, what's with that weird 29.6 fps? Thats really low ;)

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
the WASD movement is done by simply changing the aoa and facing variables i have assigned for each player that the camera will set to with every periodic loop. What it currently has is a sensitivity setting that will try to help compensate for turning too far, and not turning far enough. You still have to constantly tap say the A key to turn left, but it is going to rotate faster if you are tapping it faster, and slower for more precision if you just want to look a little bit.

The frame rate in that screen shot is pretty crappy yes. The frame rate all depends on how well the environment is created. I do not dip below 40 frames per second at any time with 2000 objects in the current test map. to help further increase the frame rate by around 10-15 frames you can disable hp bars on your game settings when you go to the F10 menu as they are disabled anyway in the map and it will relieve some ease on your processing since the hp bars are still being processed above your unit, but seeing them is disabled so you might as well disable it and gain a chunk of frame rate.

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
How many doodads did you use? My worse fps case was merely 35 to 45 plus. I use lots of doodads too and anyway, why do you need so many?

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
well, a good amount of doodads are required if you want a nice looking map and not just plain. i mean in that screen shot i definitely had an overkill of trees and grass. i would probably guess it would be safe to sustain 30-60fps with around 1500-2000 doodads on the screen but that many probably wont even be needed if i was to create an actual map design for the terrain which who knows when. i may just do everything else first like how objectives are going to work, i have to come up with some kind of basic process in which they will be given and performed. case in example is team A gets a random objective to capture team B point, so Team B gets an objective to defend that point, but team B already has an objective to say assassinate a player on team C, it kind of just turns into a big ball of confusion and messiness.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.