Other Sharpshooter Online - |Map of the Week #2|

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
So I was bored today and started making a building and over the few hours it developed into something pretty cool. Considering a Zombie Survival map as a possibility, shooting zombies would be alot easier than shooting players.

Just the beginning development of the building. It is basically an abandoned inn. None of the interiors such as tables, etc have been added yet as I dont know how the frames per second would handle it yet ill see sometime this week when I have time to work on it some more.

lbebusiness

Reaction score
No shit. This already looks nice. Even playable to some degree (seems barely big enough...would put more urgency on you because your in the same room with them lol.)

ROFL - the rain going through the roof. That always cracks me up.

Good luck. Would love to play this when finnished! (Me and my buddy)

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
lol, i didnt notice the rain until you mentioned it. ^_^

i may extend the building a little bit in some areas eventually... the building is already massive as it is though lol.

the screenshots dont do it justice though i just realized. on my crt monitor at home the screenshots i took were way too dark so I lightened them up but i guess i shouldnt since there so bright now when using an lcd monitor. there is actually realy good lighting going on in the map using the daynight script that windex found and gave it a try and it worked pretty nicely once i customized some omnilighting. the downside is, i will have to make a custom weapon model and that may be too difficult as it would have to look good as well as have a shoot and reload animation and stuff. i may just worry about that later if the map develops into anything that would actually work. i am basically thinking a double barrel shotgun that looks somewhat like the cod5 model, and maybe some kind of pistol revovler, who knows.

im thinking ill make a simple wooden wall of planks with a death animation of falling boards and the zombies come in through the windows and doors. so there is somewhat a similarity of cod5 and possibly L4d(since i havent played it, friend is sort of teling me how it is) and just basically any zombie like ideas that would be pretty cool. Ghouls would be dog-like size and act as small fast running undead creatures that will occasionally jump in and you have to think fast with ur team about dealing with em. then at the end of each wave, im thinking of something along the lines of large abomination(s) breaking through a door and you have to kill it. It would have alot of life and maybe even a meat hook that can hit you and drag you into the abom bringing instant death. :p basically, im just at the beginning idea stage and just working on seeing how well the building area will work and sofar without interior stuff it works pretty well sofar.

itll probably be just 5-6 players as it will decrease the lag by alot and 10-12 players for a zombie survival is overkill. chances are, if this shows promise I may turn it into an actual project and recruit people interested but I prefer it to be pretty functionable before I start seeking additional help.

lighting better now:

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I think your game is awesome man, only problem I ever get when playing is how if you hold down WASD it doesn't keep turning or whatever for you, you gotta spam it >_<.

The zombie shooter thing looks pimp! :cool:

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
I think your game is awesome man, only problem I ever get when playing is how if you hold down WASD it doesn't keep turning or whatever for you, you gotta spam it >_<.

The zombie shooter thing looks pimp! :cool:
There's no way to detect if you released a ability key.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Some more images.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 353
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 350
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 294

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
More images. (exceeded 8 attachements)

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 283
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 304

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
few more images, i finished the two empty rooms and added a patio to the last room and a barricaded door where zombies will also come from. house is done for now in terms of using, i will begin finalizing the creatures and their models i will be using as it will not be just zombies since this is Warcraft Theme where your town was infected by the plague and you are fighting off waves of undead.

i will consider starting another thread if i for sure decide to keep going with this new idea but will not be doing so until i have a testable and playable version available and that wont be happening for a bit.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 306
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 294

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Just a short video of me running through the building. There are a few issues like running into certain things that get annoying which will be fixed but other issues like walls or objects disappearing is a bit of a problem still.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qAjrCo-NuoI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qAjrCo-NuoI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Awesome inn. Just in one of the pics, there's rain coming from the top of the houses roof.

Craka_J

Reaction score
Interior terrain is good, but I think you should use a different fog that is darker. Dark gray or black would be two nice ones to experiment with. Maybe you can make players vote on the settings in the beginning. Beginners get light gray fog, experts get black. The darker the area is, the tougher it will be and also enhances that eerie/horrific feel.

Were the songs I sent you too large to use? I can get more for you if you need. I've got plenty of extra sounds too from L4D that you can use. For example, using boomer noises for the abomination would be perfect.

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Just a short video of me running through the building. There are a few issues like running into certain things that get annoying which will be fixed but other issues like walls or objects disappearing is a bit of a problem still.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qAjrCo-NuoI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qAjrCo-NuoI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Haven't even played it, just seeing zombies behind the windows is creepy even if they aren't doing anything.

Keep it up man! :thup:

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
For the fog, are you talking about the green fog outside the window, or the Z-fog? I can make the map much darker but for me the map is already near pitch black. (I must be the only surviving CRT user on earth) The songs were just still way too huge in size. ^_^ Ill see about adding them in once I have a majority of all the custom models and sounds etc I will need so the map wont be huge in size.

Not sure why you edited your post, but I managed to catch your comments before you removed them. :p You both mentioned about increasng the fog density, I can do that but I really cant judge how dark something actually is for you LCD users so its hard for me to find the right setting. There is lighting currently in the game but there is no light that will make it brighter for a split second inside. I can try doing it but I dont know how good it would look. Most likely the problem will be that the brightness flash will last too long since Wc3 has a tendancy to ignore the .01 second rule and instead lasts who knows how long and makes it look somewhat tacky but nevertheless is a good idea and I will look into trying it. Would be pretty cool to be looking at a window thinking hey theres nothing here then a flash of lightning and you see a zombie coming right at you for a split second.

Adding modes is definately going to happen, I just havent really gotten any of the wave triggers made or even all of the creatures decided yet which makes it a bit more difficult. Right now, I cant decide how I want the game to play. It wont be a true zombie map, as it is focused on the Undead Plague in general so it will be zombies, but also some of the rest of the undead warcraft lore creatures but making them fit in with the map is difficult. I also havent decided if I want it to be a simple XX minutes til dawn and you have to survive until then or if I want a more linear experience where there will be a boss come every few levels/waves and you have to fight them with somewhat of a strategy and each boss monster is alot harder to kill.

As of right now, I am leaning more toward the linear path but I want some input of what you guys think.

Some ideas I have thought of or others have suggested thus far are:

Zombies will be the most populace of the undead you will kill and will probably have random physical abilities they will use like sprinters and slow moving zombies, or puking on players to attract nearby zombies to them.

Ghouls have to fit in here somewhere, but the only decent way I have thought sofar to introduce them are they will infiltrate the tavern in small packs and are usually fast moving and will act more as if they were a pack of wolves but a good aimed shot with a shotgun would take most of all of them out since they are relatively weak and packed together.

Abomination is still undecided. Right now I have him written in my game document I wrote before started this project further as one of the 3-4 bosses that is pretty big and has the most health of all the bosses and is more of an oh shit factor when chasing you but is very slow and kitable. The catch is, if you get way too close to him your an instant gonner. He also sometimes will stop and produce a wave of plague clouds around him and if you get caught in it, you become disoriented and it gets hard to walk straight for a few seconds or even longer if you walk into even more of the poison cloud. The other thing is, if you are too far away from him, he will meat hook you. Possibly something similar to the Pudge Meathook but obvious differences so it would look cool in a first person view but basically if you get hit by that your a gonner as it will drag you to him and you die.

Hook horrors are something I may add just because there so cool looking. They are basically a type of abomination but they would work great as creatures that would come in all over the place before the abomination boss. These things are alot smaller than the abomination but they have really fast movement because they have spider legs and use hooks as their sole purpose to attack so you would expect to see alot of them running around shooting out hooks and dragging you to them but only a short distance since they are relatively small. (there default attack has actual hooks shooting a good couple feet forward so it works perfectly)

Necromancer will be another boss that will have a different type of fight. He will teleport in a few rounds after the abomination boss fight and this fight will be alot of killing. The necromancer will basically be summoming skeletons constantly while standing stationary in specific areas in the tavern that will be big enough to use summoning. He will also be occasionally casting firewalls that burn you while you stand in it just to add variety. But, heres the real catch. While he will have lower health then all the bosses and not be moving at all, he will have a magical barrier that will protect him from all damage until you take it down and inflict enough damage that he cannot bring it back up. What makes this difficult is, every time you take down his barrier, he will teleport to another location in the tavern and you have to get to him and do all the damage you can before it gets back up all while fighting off any skeletons still running around in your way.

Skeletons which are mentioned above are mainly going to be very weak but if you neglect to kill them they will quickly overwhelm you. They may also appear in the last boss which will be a Lich.

Lich boss will be the very last boss. I havent really decided alot on how I want the fight to go being do I want him to chase players around or be mostly stationary. I still havent thought of any interesting lich-like spells yet as I could use some help but two abilities sofar that I have decided on is one were he will turn all players into a skeleton for xx seconds and another ability he casts right after is some kind of spell that has missles that will chase you and if you get hit by it while being a skeleton you will die instantly and the lich boss will gain a portion of his health back. The missles will chase you but be moderately slow so unless you run the wrong way, you most likely would not be hit. I have yet to think of anything else at the moment but since hes the last boss, it has to be something good.

The frost wyrm will also participate in this but it will not be interactable meaning killable. This simply means, it will only show up at the lich boss fight where he will randomly breath frost through a window and if you get caught in it, you turn into an iceblock for xx seconds. This kind of goes along with when you are being chases by the haunt missle while a skeleton if you get frozen, well your pretty much dead.

Tentacles will also be in this, but I have yet to find a way to implement them in a useful and meaningful manner that would stay true to the warcraft lore theme and make sense so its not like, "wtf, why did a tentacle just pop up out of no where". Also other creatures I have considered adding are Crypt Fiends, Gargoyles, and some kind of vampire like boss such as the dreadlord if I were to edit it and make it look more like a vampire rather than a buff dreadlord.

Possible vampire spells (if vampires would fit the lore appropriately) would be vampire servants that will basically shift in and out from human and bat form and constantly go back and forth between players biting them then quickly shifting bat form to another player. Each time they bite, they gain more health as they are feeding more and more. The only ability I could think of for the boss himself, is some kind of spell that he will make the whole building almost pitch black and then charge at a random player and you have to just run like crazy and hope you run away far enough before the lights come back.

Non creature related things though, is there will also probably just a shotgun to use at first, as the shotgun model has not even been created yet and probably wont for some time but depending on when it does get made and if the model clipping bug I keep getting gets worked around multiple guns could be a possibility. Simply enough, I have chosen the shotgun since it fits well with the zombie-ish feel and also makes it alot easer for players using WASD rotation to hit objects without worrying about being precise. Other guns like some type of pistol, or single shot rifle with a larger ammunition capacity as well as a melee hitting ability could be possible if it fits the warcraft theme and camera bug is worked around. (but this stuff will be put on hold until the map is deemed worth working on extensive gun modeling) Being I have not played many zombie games other than possibly call of duties nazi mode, I dont have alot of zombie ideas that will fit the warcraft feel, but each window will have boards on them that the zombies and such will break to get throught the windows. Each window will be repairable most likely through an ability you will have while standing near it. Possibly healing/repairing/ressing will all be one ability, who knows. There will be things that drop as well when killing and if you run to it it will do things such as invincibility for xx seconds to everyone, burning all creatures, healing players, giving more ammo, insta kills etc are possibilities. Again, while I am going toward a somewhat scary look, I also want to keep this arcade-ish and not serious so it wont be real difficult I want it to be fun and enjoyable.

For those of you who may have actually read this large wall of text, please feel free to comment on anything I have said as well as any suggestions.

Thanks​

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
For the fog, are you talking about the green fog outside the window, or the Z-fog? I can make the map much darker but for me the map is already near pitch black. (I must be the only surviving CRT user on earth) The songs were just still way too huge in size. ^_^ Ill see about adding them in once I have a majority of all the custom models and sounds etc I will need so the map wont be huge in size.

Not sure why you edited your post, but I managed to catch your comments before you removed them. :p You both mentioned about increasng the fog density, I can do that but I really cant judge how dark something actually is for you LCD users so its hard for me to find the right setting. There is lighting currently in the game but there is no light that will make it brighter for a split second inside. I can try doing it but I dont know how good it would look. Most likely the problem will be that the brightness flash will last too long since Wc3 has a tendancy to ignore the .01 second rule and instead lasts who knows how long and makes it look somewhat tacky but nevertheless is a good idea and I will look into trying it. Would be pretty cool to be looking at a window thinking hey theres nothing here then a flash of lightning and you see a zombie coming right at you for a split second.

Adding modes is definately going to happen, I just havent really gotten any of the wave triggers made or even all of the creatures decided yet which makes it a bit more difficult. Right now, I cant decide how I want the game to play. It wont be a true zombie map, as it is focused on the Undead Plague in general so it will be zombies, but also some of the rest of the undead warcraft lore creatures but making them fit in with the map is difficult. I also havent decided if I want it to be a simple XX minutes til dawn and you have to survive until then or if I want a more linear experience where there will be a boss come every few levels/waves and you have to fight them with somewhat of a strategy and each boss monster is alot harder to kill.

As of right now, I am leaning more toward the linear path but I want some input of what you guys think.

Some ideas I have thought of or others have suggested thus far are:

Zombies will be the most populace of the undead you will kill and will probably have random physical abilities they will use like sprinters and slow moving zombies, or puking on players to attract nearby zombies to them.

Ghouls have to fit in here somewhere, but the only decent way I have thought sofar to introduce them are they will infiltrate the tavern in small packs and are usually fast moving and will act more as if they were a pack of wolves but a good aimed shot with a shotgun would take most of all of them out since they are relatively weak and packed together.

Abomination is still undecided. Right now I have him written in my game document I wrote before started this project further as one of the 3-4 bosses that is pretty big and has the most health of all the bosses and is more of an oh shit factor when chasing you but is very slow and kitable. The catch is, if you get way too close to him your an instant gonner. He also sometimes will stop and produce a wave of plague clouds around him and if you get caught in it, you become disoriented and it gets hard to walk straight for a few seconds or even longer if you walk into even more of the poison cloud. The other thing is, if you are too far away from him, he will meat hook you. Possibly something similar to the Pudge Meathook but obvious differences so it would look cool in a first person view but basically if you get hit by that your a gonner as it will drag you to him and you die.

Hook horrors are something I may add just because there so cool looking. They are basically a type of abomination but they would work great as creatures that would come in all over the place before the abomination boss. These things are alot smaller than the abomination but they have really fast movement because they have spider legs and use hooks as their sole purpose to attack so you would expect to see alot of them running around shooting out hooks and dragging you to them but only a short distance since they are relatively small. (there default attack has actual hooks shooting a good couple feet forward so it works perfectly)

Necromancer will be another boss that will have a different type of fight. He will teleport in a few rounds after the abomination boss fight and this fight will be alot of killing. The necromancer will basically be summoming skeletons constantly while standing stationary in specific areas in the tavern that will be big enough to use summoning. He will also be occasionally casting firewalls that burn you while you stand in it just to add variety. But, heres the real catch. While he will have lower health then all the bosses and not be moving at all, he will have a magical barrier that will protect him from all damage until you take it down and inflict enough damage that he cannot bring it back up. What makes this difficult is, every time you take down his barrier, he will teleport to another location in the tavern and you have to get to him and do all the damage you can before it gets back up all while fighting off any skeletons still running around in your way.

Skeletons which are mentioned above are mainly going to be very weak but if you neglect to kill them they will quickly overwhelm you. They may also appear in the last boss which will be a Lich.

Lich boss will be the very last boss. I havent really decided alot on how I want the fight to go being do I want him to chase players around or be mostly stationary. I still havent thought of any interesting lich-like spells yet as I could use some help but two abilities sofar that I have decided on is one were he will turn all players into a skeleton for xx seconds and another ability he casts right after is some kind of spell that has missles that will chase you and if you get hit by it while being a skeleton you will die instantly and the lich boss will gain a portion of his health back. The missles will chase you but be moderately slow so unless you run the wrong way, you most likely would not be hit. I have yet to think of anything else at the moment but since hes the last boss, it has to be something good.

The frost wyrm will also participate in this but it will not be interactable meaning killable. This simply means, it will only show up at the lich boss fight where he will randomly breath frost through a window and if you get caught in it, you turn into an iceblock for xx seconds. This kind of goes along with when you are being chases by the haunt missle while a skeleton if you get frozen, well your pretty much dead.

Tentacles will also be in this, but I have yet to find a way to implement them in a useful and meaningful manner that would stay true to the warcraft lore theme and make sense so its not like, "wtf, why did a tentacle just pop up out of no where". Also other creatures I have considered adding are Crypt Fiends, Gargoyles, and some kind of vampire like boss such as the dreadlord if I were to edit it and make it look more like a vampire rather than a buff dreadlord.

Possible vampire spells (if vampires would fit the lore appropriately) would be vampire servants that will basically shift in and out from human and bat form and constantly go back and forth between players biting them then quickly shifting bat form to another player. Each time they bite, they gain more health as they are feeding more and more. The only ability I could think of for the boss himself, is some kind of spell that he will make the whole building almost pitch black and then charge at a random player and you have to just run like crazy and hope you run away far enough before the lights come back.

Non creature related things though, is there will also probably just a shotgun to use at first, as the shotgun model has not even been created yet and probably wont for some time but depending on when it does get made and if the model clipping bug I keep getting gets worked around multiple guns could be a possibility. Simply enough, I have chosen the shotgun since it fits well with the zombie-ish feel and also makes it alot easer for players using WASD rotation to hit objects without worrying about being precise. Other guns like some type of pistol, or single shot rifle with a larger ammunition capacity as well as a melee hitting ability could be possible if it fits the warcraft theme and camera bug is worked around. (but this stuff will be put on hold until the map is deemed worth working on extensive gun modeling) Being I have not played many zombie games other than possibly call of duties nazi mode, I dont have alot of zombie ideas that will fit the warcraft feel, but each window will have boards on them that the zombies and such will break to get throught the windows. Each window will be repairable most likely through an ability you will have while standing near it. Possibly healing/repairing/ressing will all be one ability, who knows. There will be things that drop as well when killing and if you run to it it will do things such as invincibility for xx seconds to everyone, burning all creatures, healing players, giving more ammo, insta kills etc are possibilities. Again, while I am going toward a somewhat scary look, I also want to keep this arcade-ish and not serious so it wont be real difficult I want it to be fun and enjoyable.

For those of you who may have actually read this large wall of text, please feel free to comment on anything I have said as well as any suggestions.

Thanks​

I edited cause I figured you didn't really need any suggestions, considering how far you've gotten with it.

Alot of verities is a great thing, I'm all for the waves of random undead (mostly zombies of course) maybe for the easy/normal/hard modes make it where they unlock other creatures to spawn, so if its on easy, a tentacle will never appear, but in normal or hard it would.

I just really like progression where things get gradually harder and harder.

A boss that has an instant kill move is ok, but he should have a long animation (like 6 seconds or so) where hes about to throw his hook, and if you're within range it fails. This way you know when and how to avoid it, but you can also die. (or even a text message letting you know the abom boss is about to meat hook you, get close to him quick! or something)

For weapons related to warcraft; Shotgun, Rifle, Mortar(could be the "rocket launcher" of the game), Sniper, any form of melee weapon would work (other then a lightsaber lol) but considering you're in an inn, a plank as a weapon or throwing a chair or something could be an option. I don't know about a pistol fitting in with warcraft lore. Goblin Land mines could be one of the "award" type weapons. Flares could be added instead of the lightning flash, to make the light around your character significantly brighter for X seconds.

For necromancers and any type of casters, they should die in like one hit regardless where you shoot them at with any weapon in my opinion, since they are summoning more units after all. (just a thought)

If it's even possible to go outside the inn, and theres like say a town out in the distance or something, you should let us have vehicals, like a Seige Engine, or even a helicopter to blow things up with. The helicopter is the only way I would see a machine gun working as a weapon in the lore. (even make it where the only way to get a machine gun is to take it off a broken down helicopter somewhere)

An idea to implement the tentacles, is make a basement for the inn, just like the inns are in WoW, and when you go down there, theres a huge flesh eating creature that shoots tentacles out, and once you wake it up, it randomly tries to kill you occasionally by shooting up tentacles in random areas around you in the inn(maybe not a one shot but like alot of damage or something, and make it visual so you know when to avoid it or whatever (like a delay)).

Edit: If you need to reduce the file size of an mp3, download MP3 Resizer, it's free and has like a week before it's trial runs out. The lowest I found when using it was like 500 kb on a song that was around 3000 kb to start with, at least without ruining the quality entirely(it can go even lower).

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the quick reply... surprised someone read it all already. I need to get some rest so I will respond to it tomorrow when I get on.

But before I go I thought I should show what the main problem holding this map back is. Basically, parts of the gun will be clipped out in game. Obviously, the M249 will not be the gun of choice as it is simply a placeholder but even then it still isnt working correctly as you can see in the picture. The problem is something to do with the camera and I am trying to figure out a way to fix it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.