So... SC2 makes me wonder -.-

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
2 meg limitation on scripts....

2038 line limitation on script files

The idiotic filtering on publishing

The fact that people are pushing for reports on published maps to get the "authors banned" -.-...... this one really gets to me

The fact that Galaxy does not have hashtables... back to gamecache (bank) -.-...
----------------------------------------------------------

Given all of this, I'm starting to think that maybe it's a better idea not to get SC2 : ). It used to be that you could choose the content you could play and online content was never rated as it was all open. I really hate the idea of anything being controlled, and if everything is going to be controlled I can assuredly be counted not to buy it : D.

Anyone else share in my feelings? Am I alone? Do people really enjoy being massively controlled like this with insane limitations?

I know some of these limitations come from lazy design, and these lazy designs require complete rewrites to fix, meaning that they are never going to be fixed, but still..... to say the least, SC2 is looking like garbage to me ^>^

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Well... I used to give games a chance if they were rough around the edges, but every game I've given a chance has died within a year. It seems only those games that come out looking good actually are good = ).

Some prime examples are Fury and Hellgate London vs Everquest 2 and Darkfall Online.

I only heard problems about Fury and Hellgate London from the day they came out, and guess what they both died. I've heard no problems about Everquest 2 and Darkfall Online and they are still alive = ).

I have a hard time believing that Starcraft 2 will make it past a year =D. I guess if it does, I will take another look at it and probably get it again. I think that's the smart thing to do ; P. As it stands right now though =(.

I was just seeing if anyone felt the same way I did about this ; ), no need to get upset. The issues I listed are rather tragic after all, lol.

And this is interesting-
You can get the editor for free forever.. Lol.

Why would I use an editor for a game I would never play? : P

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Agreed. Plus the game is great as well, people are so blinded by the editor and forget that they are missing half of the game. Play the game too!

You realize WE are the game, right?
The Campaign and online melee will only be fun for so long. After that, Blizzard will depend on US, the map makers, to create new content, making the game popular.

So when Blizzard limits what the map makers can do, they're essentially killing the game.

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
You realize WE are the game, right?
The Campaign and online melee will only be fun for so long. After that, Blizzard will depend on US, the map makers, to create new content, making the game popular.

So when Blizzard limits what the map makers can do, they're essentially killing the game.

If Starcraft 2 is as successful as Starcraft 1 is, it could last as long as 12 years before its melee becomes stale. Plus, there are two expansions on the way which will both update the original game with new units, Battle.net 2.0 and the Map Editor.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
No, not really. Without UMS maps, which a lot of melee-players had played (sometimes), the game just gets boring.
Really, doing the same thing over and over and over again, get boring, no matter how well the game is made.

The concept of UMS/Custom Maps keeps the game fresh. Makes people want to play it more.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
People expect sc2 gameplay to be much better than sc1 gameplay since sc1 is so old. People didn't have big expectations back in the day, but now, we do. Even if sc2 is just as good as sc1 it won't be nearly as enjoyable. Blizzard can't make games that have gameplay much better then sc1, so they rely on map makers. Just look at wc3.

offtopic: I just realized that Toys for Bob must now be owned by activision blizzard, which means that I'm relying (hoping) on blizzard for one other game, a real StarControl 3.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
No, not really. Without UMS maps, which a lot of melee-players had played (sometimes), the game just gets boring.
Really, doing the same thing over and over and over again, get boring, no matter how well the game is made.

The concept of UMS/Custom Maps keeps the game fresh. Makes people want to play it more.

*Cough* Broodwar *Cough*

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
I only play custom maps. I don't actually play ladder.

For those custom maps, I only play a select few.

The game was looking bad to me because of the limitations on custom maps.

From SC2 to Warcraft 3, I was expecting some major improvements to say the least. Let's just say that to me, SC2 is a major disappointment. Because it's doubtful that they will fix any of the severe issues with the custom maps, these issues so severe that I wouldn't even want to use their editor, it makes me not want to get the game ; ).

Furthermore... I'd rather not get randomly banned for making a map. I don't like the idea of banning the map makers because some random player was offended by something in the map.

Yea, these direct attacks against quality map makers upsets me ^.^.... The family safe online environment upsets me too ; ).

It just seems better at this point to move to a full game engine rather than stick around Blizzard's stuff... as far as modding is concerned, it looks like they took a step backwards from the last patches on JASS in wc3 when they shoulda taken 100 steps forward >.<.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
If Starcraft 2 is as successful as Starcraft 1 is, it could last as long as 12 years before its melee becomes stale.

Don't be so sure about that, that was just how we played games back then and besides, you can't argue that most of the people that jumps over to SC2 comes from WC3 and they bought WC3 mostly for the custom maps:(

*Cough* Broodwar *Cough*
There actually where more expansions for SC1, not as huge as broodwar though, but there where others.

One fact that most of you are forgetting is that when SC1 came out it was new and fresh and it changed the way we played RTS games forever.
That is the most important reason why it has lasted so long and that is what SC2 will have to try and live up to and to me that is a pretty big bag to carry.

kingbdogz

Reaction score
There actually where more expansions for SC1, not as huge as broodwar though, but there where others.

There was only Brood War. No other expansions existed.

you can't argue that most of the people that jumps over to SC2 comes from WC3 and they bought WC3 mostly for the custom maps

Are you kidding me? Do you even realize how large the Starcraft fan base is? Please get your facts right before you throw false assumptions around.

Even if sc2 is just as good as sc1 it won't be nearly as enjoyable.

How so? I find my self enjoying Starcraft 2 much more than I enjoyed Starcraft 1, and I played Starcraft 1 for 6 years straight (at least 5-8 matches after school). You say that Starcraft 1 was successful because it revolutionized RTS, but in reality that's not the reason. If that was true, how come all the new "innovative" RTS's out there still fail to impress me? Starcraft has the best RTS balance I've ever seen and I doubt any other RTS will top it. Starcraft was praised for its incredible balance, fast-paced gameplay, unique races, and most of all for how FUN the multiplayer was.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
" most of the people that jumps over to SC2 comes from WC3 and they bought WC3 mostly for the custom maps "

Rumor has it of people going to a shop to buy "Defense of the Ancients", and were surprised to learn it's actually a custom map of WC3 :p

Anyway, as great as that sounds if you're a mapper, it doesn't hold in general.
Most people buying SC2 will never even start the editor.
(Or, if they do, they'll very quickly close it again)

" There was only Brood War. No other expansions existed. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft_(series)#Spin-off_titles

On a related note, the Galaxy Editor *is* vastly superior to the World Editor.
And SC2 has many years to come and stay. No doubt's there.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Rumor has it of people going to a shop to buy "Defense of the Ancients", and were surprised to learn it's actually a custom map of WC3 :p

Anyway, as great as that sounds if you're a mapper, it doesn't hold in general.
Most people buying SC2 will never even start the editor.
(Or, if they do, they'll very quickly close it again)

That is not a rumor, there is sadly a great amount of people that did not hear about warcraft before "The map that should not be named".

@Kingbdogz:
Starcraft did revolutionize the RTS genre no matter if you like to acknowledge it or not. When starcraft first came out it was an amazing experience to play it, it had amazing graphics compared to the other RTS games that where out at the time and the controls where just to die for.

Edit:
Those are free campaigns and multiplayer maps that you can download, not expansion packs. Even if they were sold at the time, I don't think you could ever consider them an official expansion pack. That's like calling one of the Warcraft III campaigns on The Hive an expansion pack to The Frozen Throne.

They where authorized by blizzard to make those and they actually had unofficial campaigns with them as well.

kingbdogz

Reaction score
Starcraft did revolutionize the RTS genre no matter if you like to acknowledge it or not. When starcraft first came out it was an amazing experience to play it, it had amazing graphics compared to the other RTS games that where out at the time and the controls where just to die for.

I didn't deny that, I said that while yes it did revolutionize the RTS genre, its unique design wasn't what has made it strive and still strive for all these years; other games try to copy Starcraft 1 and yet they still end up failing after a year or two.

They where authorized by blizzard to make those and they actually had unofficial campaigns with them as well.

Yes I know but the lack of content means that they are not expansion packs. They are just campaigns authorized by Blizzard to make them "official" in the Starcraft lore but in reality, they are no different than a normal campaign that a fan would make.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
@Kingbdogz:

Yes and then 2 years passed and 3D RTS games with 'innovative' features were released. 5 years passed, even more 'innovative' RTS games were released. 10 years passed and RTS games with graphics and 'features' that put SC to shame came out. Yet SC is still widely played to this day.

kingbdogz

Reaction score
Yes and then 2 years passed and 3D RTS games with 'innovative' features were released. 5 years passed, even more 'innovative' RTS games were released. 10 years passed and RTS games with graphics and 'features' that put SC to shame came out. Yet SC is still widely played to this day.

Exactly what I'm trying to say ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.