SPELL CONTEST | theme: Hell | 29.06.08 - 13.07.08

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamGriffith

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Triggering a knockback urself, is just making the functions urself.
I guess if it is all in the same trigger, then it would count. Because if not that's basically saying your only allowed one function so no callbacks etc.

P.S. I making a mini system for my spell, so it better be allowed! :p

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
Okey, I made a spell that is weak in AoS (such as dota) but balanced in melee games, you know army vs army. Cause it's an aoe ability. Does it counts as too weak or balanced? Cause you said it has to be balanced for melee games.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Kazuga said:
I think HAIL and such is allowed however a knockback is pretty simple to create, atleast comparing to the HAIL system..

I'm not talking about a knockback (for myself anyway, I can't think of anyway to associate knockback with hell), I'm talking bout something far simpler. Anyway, HAIL is an attachment system, knockbacks aren't soooooo... :p

AdamGriffith said:
Triggering a knockback urself, is just making the functions urself.
I guess if it is all in the same trigger, then it would count. Because if not that's basically saying your only allowed one function so no callbacks etc.

1) I'm not talking about making it within the main function(s). Sure, it could be done, but it'd be a helluva lot simpler if I could avoid dealing with special effects as part of the main code, to avoid bugs (since the special effects aren't associated with the main spell effect, they're just to add a bit of fanciness :))

2) One function only? Do you honestly have any notion as to what you're talking about... you can't do sh*t with a single function (especially for spells, since how are you supposed to register events, conditions and actions without the InitTrig function...). The lack of a callback function would be the least of my worries in that situation...

Anyway, enough about this. I'll just wait for Andrewgosu to reply, no point cluttering the thread with opinions on what should and shouldn't be allowed :p

EDIT: As regards the polished tooltip, does that mean it has to be Blizzard-esque (you know, coloured hotkey, coloured "Level #") and does it just need to be clear as to what you need to no e.g.
Code:
<insert spell name here> (hotkey)
The hero releases a fiery explosion at the target point, causing X damage to all enemies in the area of effect, and stunning them for Y seconds.

Cooldown is Z seconds

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okey, I made a spell that is weak in AoS (such as dota) but balanced in melee games, you know army vs army. Cause it's an aoe ability. Does it counts as too weak or balanced? Cause you said it has to be balanced for melee games.

Well.. The rules said "Balanced for melee games" so why would you even bring DotA into this?

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Systems made for this contest in particular (done by yourself) are allowed.

Though, a whole system for a single spell?... :p

A good tooltip just means its descriptive, not too long or short and specifies the damage, stun (e.g) for each level.

It doesn't have to look like Blizzard's.

Lastly, please, this is not a chat room so if you don't have something wise to say or some screenshots to post, don't post at all.

I don't want this thread to stretch into outer space.

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot. Add me to your list, please :)

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
I need to join this :D.

Question:

Should customisation of the spell be more important than efficiency?

Like calling a function that isn't needed unless someone wanted to customise something that is core to the spell. Or should we not worry about ease of customisation of the spell?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I believe as long as you have customizable variables that determin the spell effects and such, you're good.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Coding – 30 points

The heart of a triggered spell is the code, that's no brainer. Therefore you can earn most points in this category.

- Any unnecessary coding, function calls, fluff stuff (that rhymed) will take points away.
- Leaks are bad, thus, take points away. (this includes lag, as well. More lagg means less points)

It's a bit controversial about using locations vs using X/Y...
Would using locations (removing leaks, of course) and calling the PolarProjectionsBJ function be an "unnecessary function call," or "fluff stuff"? The same goes for the other way around, is using X's and Y's considered "unnecessary coding"? I'm having to stop now, because I'm unsure about this. I don't want any deducted points for coding lazily, or overdoing it. :p

Also, I'll try to finish a spell for this. I've got the base of the ability down, so add me into the contest. :)

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
PolarProjectionBJ and CountUnitsInGroup(something like that) should be allowed.

demotry241

Don't Ever Categorize Yourself.
Reaction score
I decided that i am not using my first presentation as my map entry for this competition because that skill... i dont know how to make that skill MUI or MPI

so I created my selected and final map entry for this competition.
This new ability is MUI.

cheers..
Hope it wins..

Attachments

• Spell Contest - Demotry241 #2.w3x
    14.3 KB · Views: 273

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
If I got a problem with the spell for the competition, can I create a thread about it and ask for help? Or can I post it here?

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty much done.
Might as well as some Eyecandy later on, but in it's current state, I guess it's also OK.
Have fun =)

F

franckish94

Sign me. i already started a project with hell when i was playing with world editor so im already done.

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
My spell: Hellspawn

Edit: Beware - worlds worst terrain

(It's most fun killing the peasants with my spell >8D )

Attachments

• emootootoo Hell Contest.w3x
    48.5 KB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.