Spellbook troubles

Randor244

Reaction score
I've created a spellbook, but it does not work. I have set 4 spells in the Spell List field, but when I try it in-game no spells are shown when clicking on the book.

I should mention that the hero does not have the spellbook ability first, but gets it later through a trigger.

What can be wrong?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Did you set the Maximum Spell field correctly? I can't remember very well, but you can try setting the max to 12 while the min to 11. Play around with the numbers. It should appear.

Randor244

Reaction score
Tried that now, it still won't work...

EDIT:
This is my enable trigger:
Trigger:
  • Portal Lore
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes research
    • Conditions
      • (Researched tech-type) Equal to (==) Portal Lore
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Portal Lore (spell book) to hero1

EDIT 2:
Now I tried giving the hero the spelbook from the beginning (through the OE) - still does not work... :(

EDIT 3: here's the OE:
n62nu1.jpg

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
That's a little odd.

Does the unit have more than two spellbooks? If so change the orderid of one of the spellbooks.
Does the spell share the same orderid? If so change it.
Have you tried making the spellbook permanent?

Randor244

Reaction score
I tried changing the orderid, no difference. Here's the map if you want to take a look:

http://rapidshare.com/files/246265155/HoD0.8.w3x.html

You'll get the spellbook by choosing a hero and then researching the "Portal Lore" upgrade in the Hero Academy (which is already present on the map for betatest reasons).

Also, enter "thecakeisalie" to gain 99999 resources and upgrade all your heroes to level 30 - that may help in troubleshooting...

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
You're using some special editor? Try this please:

Duplicate your error to a new blank map (32x32) and upload that.

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
Heh.

All the spells are based of Channel, Channel has an option field where one of the options is Visible true/false. Change that to true, and you're good to go.

Randor244

Reaction score
Thanks, it works now :)

However, I have ancountered another, related problem. When using one of these abilities, really wierd things happens. I get NO abilities for my hero (they simply dissapear), I cannor move my hero, or do anything with him. Oh, and should I mention that the spell does not work either? Here's the trigger:

Trigger:
  • Builder Portal
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to (==) Builder Portal
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Portal for Neutral Passive at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
      • Wait 5.00 seconds
      • Unit - Kill (Last created unit)
        • Multiple FunctionsIf (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • (Player 1 (Red) Current gold) Greater than or equal to (>=) 150
          • Then - Actions
            • Multiple FunctionsIf (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
              • If - Conditions
                • (Race of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to (==) Human
              • Then - Actions
                • Unit - Create 1 Peasant for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
              • Else - Actions
                  • If - Conditions
                    • (Race of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to (==) Orc
                  • Then - Actions
                    • Unit - Create 1 Peon for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
                  • Else - Actions
                      • If - Conditions
                        • (Race of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to (==) Undead
                      • Then - Actions
                        • Unit - Create 1 Acolyte for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
                      • Else - Actions
                          • If - Conditions
                            • (Race of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to (==) Night Elf
                          • Then - Actions
                            • Unit - Create 1 Wisp for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
                          • Else - Actions
            • Player - Add -150 to Player 1 (Red) Current gold
          • Else - Actions

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
First time using Channel?

Data - Follow through time = 0.00
Data - Disable other abilities = false
Data - Options - Visible = true

Change the event to Event - A unit starts the effects of an ability.

Randor244

Reaction score
Yeah, I've used other spells when making my own before - not channel :D

EDIT: Ok, now that works, but I'm still having troubles ;)

When casting any of the four spells FOUR portals will be created, different units come out of them, and all of them die except for a gryffon rider...

Here's the trigger:

Trigger:
  • Builder Portal
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to (==) Builder Portal
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Portal (small) for Neutral Passive at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
      • Wait 5.00 seconds
      • Unit - Kill (Last created unit)
          • If - Conditions
            • (Player 1 (Red) Current gold) Greater than or equal to (>=) 150
          • Then - Actions
              • If - Conditions
                • (Race of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to (==) Human
              • Then - Actions
                • Unit - Create 1 Peasant for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
              • Else - Actions
                  • If - Conditions
                    • (Race of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to (==) Orc
                  • Then - Actions
                    • Unit - Create 1 Peon for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
                  • Else - Actions
                      • If - Conditions
                        • (Race of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to (==) Undead
                      • Then - Actions
                        • Unit - Create 1 Acolyte for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
                      • Else - Actions
                          • If - Conditions
                            • (Race of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to (==) Night Elf
                          • Then - Actions
                            • Unit - Create 1 Wisp for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of hero1) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
                          • Else - Actions
            • Player - Add -150 to Player 1 (Red) Current gold
          • Else - Actions

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
Maybe you have the same ability 4 times and the unit casts all of then when ordered one?

Randor244

Reaction score
The same? No, they are different abilities though based on the same - I gave them different ids though...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.