Stacking orb effects

Smitty

Reaction score
I've been looking everywhere, but I'm slightly unsure of what all the different non-stacking abilities are. Anyone know of a definitive list? Thanks in advance :)

polo2005

Wana start playing LoL? http://tinyurl.com/369as27
Reaction score
no orb effects stack. thats why they are grouped as "orb" :p
evasion doesn't stack
crit doesn't stack
pulverise doesn't stack
auras doesn't stack (if they are based on the same buff atleast)
basically no unit/hero passive abilityes does stack

Smitty

Reaction score
Wait, if auras are based on the same buff? Not just that they give the same custom buff? :(

Also, what qualifies as an orb effect? For example, Life Steal (Frostmourne) doesn't say 'orb effect' anywhere, but I'm pretty sure it is.

polo2005

Wana start playing LoL? http://tinyurl.com/369as27
Reaction score
life steal corruption any type of posinon such as slow posion that wyvern posion in the orc faction etc etc
orb of frost/fire/lighting mana burn
well thats the orb effects i can rember right now, and about auras, i'm ont sure haven't actually created a map in like... 2 years? :p

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Aura of the same ability and same buff type does not stack. But if you base the aura off same ability but different buffs, they stack.

Life steal is orb. Orb abilities are not definite stackables. Some can stack while some can't. It depends on the strength of its effect (so to speak). There is a list of orb abilities along with their stacking strength... somewhere. But that was for DotA items. And I can't recall where to find it.

Smitty

Reaction score
This came about because I was trying to make a shield item, which would block 10 incoming attack damage. Of course that meant needing to detect attack damage... etc. The idea was to give OoL to every unit, then I realised this might mean other orbs wouldn't be usable and it would limit my spell/item options :/

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> give OoL to every unit
Bad idea.

Use Poison Attack instead. It's a weaker Orb effect ability. Then again, not worth it as well just for the sake of an item. And there's already an item that gives you chance to block incoming physical damage. Can't remember the name though... Make a random search in your OE. Was is Bracer?

keychup

Reaction score
Here's an experiment i carried out on stacking Slow Poison abilities.
Apparatus:
Poison1(Ability) Stacking Type - Damage
Poison2(Ability) Stacking Type - Kill Unit
Poison1(Buff)
Poison2(Buff)
Unit1 (Unit) has Poison1
Unit2 (Unit) has Poison2
Unit3 (Unit) has Poison1 and Poison2

Method:
(Step 1) I attack an enemy with Unit1 and Unit2 and to my surprise both Buff1 and Buff2 appear and both effects are applied
(Step 2) I attack an enemy unit with Unit3 but only one of the buffs appear and only one effect is applied

Observation:
Slow Poison stacks on other Slow Poison but not if both abilities are on one unit.
Slow Poison stacks on other Slow Poison but not if both abilities have the same stacking type.
Slow Poison stacks on other Slow Poison but not if both abilities use the same buff.

Conclusion:
To make two Slow Poison abilities stack you should have 2 units carrying one of each ability.
To make two Slow Poison abilities stack you should have a different stacking type for each ability.
To make two Slow Poison abilities stack you should have a different buff for each ability.

The same principles apply for arrow abilities. Arrows work about the same way orbs do.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I believe Orb abilities are the kind with on-attack effects. Feedback burns mana on-attack, Slow Poison, Frost Attack, arrows and other abilities leave a buff on the target when the attack hits.

If you want to detect attack damage, do what Vypur said. You can easily trigger the effects of your other orbs by detecting attack damage and checking if the attacker has that item.

Smitty

Reaction score
Detecting the attacks and using the triggers wasn't the issue, I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to end up being limited to not using orb effects for abilities or items. So far I seem to be getting away without using this method for all units (hardened skin-thanks volkof). But this was very helpful for some of the issues I'm about to be tackling. Thanks all :)

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
crit doesn't stack

While you are right about the Orbs not stacking, Crit is a kindof funny thing.
In my experience a unit can have more than 1 crit ability and they do work but cannot hit at the same time.
Evasion/Crit/Pulverize and most aura's also arent considered as 'Orb' as they do stack with other types. Orbs cannot stack with any type of Orb, whilest you can have Crit and Evasion for example.

Some poison's stack.
There is a poison that stacks with a frost, but at a depreciated amount.
You need to kinda mess around with the abilities to figure everything out though.

Smitty

Reaction score
As a DotA player, and this is pub games mind you, I think I've spent far too many hours of my life explaining to people who insist they know best how crits stack (usually being told that said people have done hideously explicit things to my mother/sister/cat depending on how inventive they are). Crits do not stack directly. Only one can ProC at any one time. I believe the one with the highest multiplier (though it may be chance, I forget for the moment) will take priority. But buying 6 items with critical strike DOES NOT WORK AS WELL AS YOU WOULD LIKE. Diminishing returns are a bitch. And I'm fairly sure, just in case the common factor is me, that none of the people on this forum have ever been near my mother/sister/cat. And I don't even have a cat. /rant.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
lol, its a form of stacking. Not the chance, and not the damage. But the ability stacks, has another chance if the first 'crit ability' misses.
eh, but it sounds like you know lol.

What does this have to do with cats? lol
And well if they are small crit chances with high damage amplifiers, they can be effective. (eg 4 abilities, all have 5% chance to hit 3x is almost the same thing as having a 20% chance at hitting 3x) However if they are like high chance and low amplifier, then it is ineffective (eg 4 abilities, 80% chance to 1.2x and 75% to 1.5x etc etc) Not useful.
You get the idea lol.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> its a form of stacking
Can be yes or no. But essentially it's still orb effect. Lifesteal is an orb effect. It still can stack with other abilities.

Bash is also orb effect...

Basically, as mentioned, anything that works based off on-attack effect is an orb effect.

Smitty

Reaction score
It has EVERYTHING to do with cats. /thread. I just want that to be the last post. Maybe I'll leave it a few weeks, wait til this thread is well and truly dead, then repost that sentence.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
> its a form of stacking
Can be yes or no. But essentially it's still orb effect. Lifesteal is an orb effect. It still can stack with other abilities.

Bash is also orb effect...

Basically, as mentioned, anything that works based off on-attack effect is an orb effect.

They aren't really orbs. Orbs don't stack with each other, eg Orb of Lightning and Orb of Darkness or Orb of Frost. Those 2 never work together (as far as I know of) - whilest you can have Bash, Evasion, Crit and an Orb still.
Quite a difference.

imo they are just "non-stackable" but not classified as "orbs".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.