Starcraft 2 Editor - Information List

Ice Bane

Reaction score
Found this on http://starcraft2mapping.com, and I wanted to share with you guys :)

You might find this information old, you might not, anyways it's a sum-up which I appreciated. Originally posted by; warnicarus
(Thus he quoted from a wiki-link that doesn't work nowadays.)

Trigger Editor

* Users will have access to a user-friendly Trigger Editor, which will allow beginner and intermediate map designers to make advanced maps without having to learn the particular details of the scripting language.
* The editor for StarCraft II will be very easy to use for new players to create their own custom maps and games.
* Any limits on regions or triggers will be at least in the thousands.
* ALL script functionality from the underlying language should also be exposed in the Trigger Editor UI.
* The editor will support text coloring, unit coloring, and neutral player units.
* It should be possible through customized ability data and/or triggers to stop/alter missiles in-flight.
* Weather effect technology has not yet been finalized. However, even if weather effects do not affect gameplay normally, it would be possible to drive both the desired weather effects and associated gameplay effects through triggers.
* It will be possible to use the full 3D cinematics mechanic from the single player campaign in the map editor

Scripting Language

* StarCraft II's editor uses a proprietary scripting language that is based largely on C with some special parameters specific to the game (note: this language is not the WCIII scripting language JASS).
* This editor will have many more scripting options available to users, and will allow for even more user creativity in their maps than the Warcraft III/StarCraft editors.

Data Editor

* Very broadly speaking, the biggest improvements over Warcraft III will be found in the data editor, where literally every game database file is exposed for modification, and in the trigger editor, which now features the ability to define custom functions and libraries. That said, virtually every aspect of the editor has at least some improvements over WarCraft III/StarCraft.
* In the StarCraft II editor, new abilities with effects that would have to be triggered in the WarCraftIII editor can be set up completely in the data files. You could make the entire ability without having to use any triggers or scripting at all.
* Generally speaking, setting up abilities and effects will be easier through data customization than using triggers.
* Custom races are fully supported, including the ability to choose them from the game lobby while playing melee maps, as long as the mod defining the race is loaded.
* It should be possible, using the highly flexible ability system, to allow units to change weapons in-game.

Tech Tree/Resources

* The tech tree and upgrade system will be fully configurable from the editor.
* Upgrades are arbitrarily extendable, as they were in WarCraft III. In addition, upgrades will now be down-gradeable via triggers as well (by using a negative value).
* There is added support for one additional custom resource type.

Units/Abilities

* All regeneration rates can be easily changed.
* All units defined in the data files will be usable in the editor without the use of 3rd party tools.
* In the editor, users can adjust the footprint of buildings to whatever shape and size they like.
* Map makers will be able to remove the blur effect that is currently on StarCraft II's invisible units.
* There will be units included in the Map Editor that will not be in the standard multi-player skirmish mode.
* These will include various units from the original StarCraft, such as the Protoss Dragoon.
* There are no plans to include male and female versions of each unit.
* The Tauren Marine is going to be included in the StarCraft II map editor.

Terrain Editor

* The maximum map size will be 256x256.
* Terrain texture and tilesets will be mixable. Essentially, you can define your own tileset in the editor (something that wasn't really supported even in Warcraft III).
* Doodad placement value will be on the same order as Warcraft III (i.e. ~10,000 doodads)
* There will be doodads like customizable light or shader doodads.
* Many of the original map tile sets such as Mar Sara, Char, Shakuras, and Space Platform will be back in StarCraft II, as well as a few additional ones including a new Shattered City tile set.
* Any object defined in the data files can be placed on the map, regardless of which tileset it is normally associated with.
* StarCraft II unit placement limits will likely be a healthy boost over the limits of Warcraft III. The exact value hasn't been nailed down yet and will depend on optimizations near the end of the project.

AI Editor

* There will be extensive AI scripting support.

Miscellaneous Information
* The editor will support "locking" maps.
* The map pool for competitive play will only be Blizzard maps or Blizzard-approved maps (no customs).
* The editor should support multi-player campaigns and linked maps.
* The Map Editor will support letters from non-English alphabets
* They will be keeping an eye on the forums and updating the editor as often as possible to incorporate new suggestions.
* There will not be a tool to transfer WC3 models to SC2.
* There will be cheats, but you won't know what they are.

wizaerd

Reaction score
It will be possible to use the full 3D cinematics mechanic from the single player campaign in the map editor

What does this actually mean? What does it enable someone to do?

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
> * There will be cheats, but you won't know what they are.

lol

Well, sounds good. Thanks dude.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
What does this actually mean? What does it enable someone to do?
Try watching the Zerg Reveal trailer. That was made in the map editor (all of it, including the logo (Or thats what people say, anyways)), using some of the Cinematic Functions, It might give you an idea.

But in truth, I always wished they had said a little more there too.

chanta45

Reaction score
Hey IceBane, damn great post.

So as of now theres only support for one more custom resource? :( I was hoping they would add a bit more, rather then creating a whole integer system.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Miscellaneous Information
1 The editor will support "locking" maps.
2 The editor should support multi-player campaigns and linked maps.
3 The Map Editor will support letters from non-English alphabets
4 There will not be a tool to transfer WC3 models to SC2.
5 There will be cheats, but you won't know what they are.

1. Awesome and weird
2. That's so cool
3. kk
4. Orly?
5. If the cheats we're already famous stars, what will happn?

quraji

zap
Reaction score
That was made in the map editor (all of it, including the logo (Or thats what people say, anyways)), using some of the Cinematic Functions, It might give you an idea.

It does look like most of it could be done (based off of wc3's capabilities), but there are some things that don't.
Like, some things go out of focus (get blurry).
The moon shot ("and then...we vanished"), and the sky in general. Unless SC2 has some truly EPIC skyboxes :p
The mutas at the end being silhouetted against a moon, with the light blurring around them.
Then of course the logos.

But, if by the grace of the gods, that was made in the editor, I will cry of happiness :D

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
The maximum map size will be 256x256.

if I'm not mistaken, that's a medium-large sized map in Wc3

not really big....

but luckily we can make multiplayer campaigns so that's not a problem when making RPGs :)

Daskunk

Reaction score
You are mistaking, 256x256 is HUGE, I've never played a wc3 map that uses this scale to the fullest.
I've seen maps with max size, and some that use above max size by modding the map editor. I think it isn't very common because it makes the map take longer to load, or because it makes the filesize bigger.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
I've seen maps with max size, and some that use above max size by modding the map editor. I think it isn't very common because it makes the map take longer to load, or because it makes the filesize bigger.

Yes I'm aware of that and indeed it is very rare :)

punwisp

Reaction score

For custom maps that can be quite small. That size is primarily good for melee type maps. However for a lot of custom games, this could be RPG, some RTS map, are normally bigger, and need the space.

Daskunk

Reaction score
For custom maps that can be quite small. That size is primarily good for melee type maps. However for a lot of custom games, this could be RPG, some RTS map, are normally bigger, and need the space.
I wasn't arguing against you. I think the max map size should be bigger too. Why shouldn't it?

But I think you're wrong when you say 256x256 is small. Even a 12 player melee map is only 192x192. And a lot of custom maps (Footmen Frenzy, Rabbits vs Sheep, DotA) are smaller than 256. Its even called "Epic" map size.

To be sure though, some genres like RPG's use and need that map size or bigger. Its easy to think that its a small map size if these are the types of maps you play. It would be medium at the least, not small, though.

Nice list Ice bane. I still wouldn't plan anything around these though, it might be different when the game comes out!

Ice Bane

Reaction score
Nice list Ice bane. I still wouldn't plan anything around these though, it might be different when the game comes out!

Thank you. Well yeah, but I don't think they will remove any added function will they? ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.