struct array / group

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
I'm in need of a way to group a large amount of structs, so I can handle them like a unit group. Precise solutions are highly appreciated

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Well first of all you can't have more than 8190 active structs so this is the largest amount that can be achieved.
Knowing that you can simply use an array.

Though...what are you trying to do?

Doomhammer

Reaction score
the array limit is fairly sufficient.

what I'm about to create is a little system for custom moves: it's a combination of a jump system + a knockback/slide system paired with the option to add spins / rotations and effects to the movement. The struct itself is already written, but in order to have new units set up as struct and processed, it needs some sort of allocation, as it is supposed to run on one periodic timer. If I could handle the structs like units, it would be fairly easy, and look sth like:

ForGroup(MotionStructs, function DoMotion), and I could easily add and remove units. Doing that with an array seems complicated.

N-a-z-g-u-l

Reaction score
perhaps you can add all sliding units to a unit group?^^
and then attach the structs to the units...

or you use an integer array, which stores the ids of used structs, and when a struct pops free, it moves the last id to the position of the destroyed struct in the array... so always the first elements are used, and you only need a loop and check, if there is a struct saved behind the id...

Doomhammer

Reaction score
or you use an integer array, which stores the ids of used structs, and when a struct pops free, it moves the last id to the position of the destroyed struct in the array... so always the first elements are used, and you only need a loop and check, if there is a struct saved behind the id...

that's pretty much what I want to go for. The only question here is: how to make that as smooth as possible, so to avoid "defragmentation" inside the struct array due to gaps of structs popping free in an uncoordinated manner (e.g. structs 110-200 become free, a few cycles later it's structs 900-990). How check that efficiently?

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
that's pretty much what I want to go for. The only question here is: how to make that as smooth as possible, so to avoid "defragmentation" inside the struct array due to gaps of structs popping free in an uncoordinated manner (e.g. structs 110-200 become free, a few cycles later it's structs 900-990). How check that efficiently?

You either want a linked list or a pool, pick one.

JASS:

struct node
    sometype value
    node next=0

static method create takes sometype s, node nx returns node
      local node r=node.allocate()
         set r.next=nx
         set r.value=s
     return s
    endmethod
endstruct

globals
    node mylinkedlist=0
endglobals

function add takes sometype x returns nothing
    set mylinkedlist = node.create(x,mylinkedlist)
endfunction

function iterationproof takes nothing returns nothing
 local node p=mylinkedlist
 local node q=0
    loop
          exitwhen (p==0)
          if process(p.v) then  //process takes a look to the value and if returns false, removes it from the list...
               set q=p
          else
                if(q!=0) q.next=p.next               
          endif
          set p=p.next
    endloop
endfunction

Actually, if you don't need the things to be in an exact order you can just use an array and move the last element to the place of the removed index, that's what pools do...

Doomhammer

Reaction score
Thanks a lot.
I think I get the idea.
like that the code causes some compile errors; e.g.

undeclared function process

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
Thanks a lot.
I think I get the idea.
like that the code causes some compile errors; e.g.

undeclared function process
you are supposed to implement your own process... the code was a sample not something that works out of the box

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.