Suddenly some pages are all in italics!

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Suddenly some homepages are all in italics!

Hello
For some reason suddenly many pages show up in italics. This site doesn't, but google and wikipedia and yahoo answers does. I tried pressing ctrl+i but it didn't work, it just brought up the earlier history sidebar thingy. I have also looked through all the menus in firefox, but I didn't find anything.

Attachments

• ZZitalics.JPG
    ZZitalics.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 245

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
What addons do you have installed? Did you get any new ones recently?

Marsmallos

Reaction score
I only got WOT, Java and Orbit downloader, and none of them were updated/installed more recently than a month ago. This appeared suddenly without me doing anything, as far as I could tell at least, wierd. I suddenlöy noticed it when I googled something, I think.

EDIT: Wow, so now it suddenly stopped being italics and became bolded instead. This is goddamn strange what is going on here????

Prometheus

Reaction score
I'd run a virus scan, check the browser fonts, and check the fonts from the fonts folder, to see if they're corrupted or not.

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Virus scan: check. I use F-secure, so it is now guaranteed that I do not have any viruses or trojans or anything. The only thing it found was a leftover from when I uninstalled mIRC that it considered a riskware, but I uninstalled mIRC months ago so I don't think it could be the issue, since it never has interfered before until now in that case.
How do I check the browser fonts? (note, it still looks like the usual font, the problem is just that first it suddenly became italics and now it became bolded instead)
How do I see if a font in the fonts folder is corrupted? I tried writing a word document in the font I use in firefox (times new roman) and there were no issues, it looked like it always does

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
First of, F-secure is crap:eek:

Try doing a scan with malwarebytes anti malware:
From this link:
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol

It is trial version:
1. Install it.
2. Update it.
3. Run the scan.

If you got any malware it will be taken care of by this program:thup:

Don't ever think that F-secure is a good program, it is surely not the worst program out there, but it does NOT pick up everything(far from it);)

Marsmallos

Reaction score
First of, F-secure is crap

Oh lol :p I just assumed that it was good, because it is used on all the computers belonging to a very big swedish organization, Karolinska Institutet, and this is a computer borrowed from them to work at home with.

Will try the malware thingy you linked ;)

Use Avast for anti-virus.

I wont if it hogs more resources than F-secure, F-secure is at the absolute upper limit of what my computer should have, I only got 1024 mb ram (F-secure can eat 140 mb of that if it is feeling happy) and Karolinska doesn't allow me to upgrade without consulting them unfortunately.

EDIT, I did a quick scan with that malware program, and all it found was this

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: ("regedit.exe" "%1") Good: (regedit.exe "%1") -> No action taken.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Are you talking about Avast? Avast doesn't need a backup DB, it just kills everything before it does damage.
No, as in no it doesn't use more resources. At most it will use about 20 mb.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
AVIRA FTW!

Anyway, why do people always conclude a virus? Are they too lazy to conclude anything else?

Try googling: Virus causes italics

Prometheus

Reaction score
Sorry, we didn't conclude a virus. It was one of the suggestions.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Okay, how the the F*** are you able to borrow a computer from Karolinska?:confused:

It sounds most likely to be some kind of virus, but it could be this:

Go to Tools>Options>Content>Advanced(in the fonts box) and make sure the "Allow pages to select their own fonts" is selected.

In Swedish just in case:
Verktyg>Inställningar>Innehåll>Avancerat och kryssa i rutan där det står "Låt sidor använda egna teckensnitt istället för ovanstående".

Prometheus

Reaction score
No, Malwarebytes Anti Malware is 300x better than Avast...
The name makes me believe it's an anti-spyware, and not an anti-virus.
Sure, if you call false-detected normal files viruses. :thdown:
The only false detects Avast gives me are things that I know will pop it. No, I will not say.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A. I saw you googling "my browser italics", just ignore the italics and browse the forums. There should be a solution for your problem.

B. Another solution is:

1. Open up Firefox Browser. Is it still in italics?
2. Click: Tools > Options.
3. Find the tab "Content"
4. Click on "Advanced".
5. See if the checkbox for "Allow pages to choose their own fonts instead of my selections" is ticked.

I'm guessing your Firefox settings could be disrupted, so let the webpages of other sites use their own fonts might fix the problem.

C. Report this problem to the Mozilla Firefox Customer Support. Make sure you send them an email with the picture you taken. They should help out within a day or 2.

D. Re-install "Arial" font for your operating system. Reason is shown below:
Firefox and IE then automatically switched to the italics variant of the standard Arial font for displaying text in Arial. The solution is easy: copy a Arial.ttf file back into c:\windows\fonts.

Be aware, if you only 1 computer, and you're having this problem, it's best for you to re-install your operating system instead of looking elsewhere in Google. Believe me, it's a time-consuming task, but if you're patient enough, chances are you'll be able to find it somewhere out there.

Do you have Arial Bold fonts? It could be that your Arial Italics are missing/corrupted/same with Arial font. Try re-installing Arial Italics after you're done with Arial.

Hope this helps you out enough.

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies guys!

Go to Tools>Options>Content>Advanced(in the fonts box) and make sure the "Allow pages to select their own fonts" is selected.

In Swedish just in case:
Verktyg>Inställningar>Innehåll>Avancerat och kryssa i rutan där det står "Låt sidor använda egna teckensnitt istället för ovanstående".

B. Another solution is:

1. Open up Firefox Browser. Is it still in italics?
2. Click: Tools > Options.
3. Find the tab "Content"
4. Click on "Advanced".
5. See if the checkbox for "Allow pages to choose their own fonts instead of my selections" is ticked.

I'm guessing your Firefox settings could be disrupted, so let the webpages of other sites use their own fonts might fix the problem.

It is ticked/checked and has always been. I still have my problem with bold letters (yeah, previously I said italics but it suddenly changed to bold for some reason) though. I tried unchecking it, clicking OK, and checking it again, just in case y'know, but it didn't help.

A. I saw you googling "my browser italics", just ignore the italics and browse the forums. There should be a solution for your problem.

Yeah, I've been looking around quite a lot in google, but no easy fix so far

C. Report this problem to the Mozilla Firefox Customer Support. Make sure you send them an email with the picture you taken. They should help out within a day or 2.

Great suggestion! Will do!

D. Re-install "Arial" font for your operating system. Reason is shown below:

Is Arial the default font that google and many other sites use?

Be aware, if you only 1 computer, and you're having this problem, it's best for you to re-install your operating system instead of looking elsewhere in Google. Believe me, it's a time-consuming task, but if you're patient enough, chances are you'll be able to find it somewhere out there.

Re-installing is not an easy option, since it is a computer from Karolinska Institutet and not my own I do not have direct access to CDs with Windows XP

Once again, I really appreciate that you take your time to help me! This seems to be a really strange problem... Rep has been awarded to all helpers so far :thup:

EDIT: added a screenshot of how it has changed to look now

Attachments

• ZZboldnowwhatthefuck.JPG
    ZZboldnowwhatthefuck.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 259
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.