US News Suicidal Naked Man Dies After Getting Tasered

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Deputies say the 40-year-old, who was found wearing no clothes, struggled with them

A man died shortly after sheriff's deputies used a Taser on him at his Montgomery County home Saturday, authorities said.

Deputies received a call about 7 a.m. of a possible suicide attempt at a residence in the 6500 block of Golden Oaks Drive. Robert Lee Welch, 40, had been pushing people there and would not respond to family members, the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office said.

Deputies approached and tried to talk to Welch, who was not wearing clothing, authorities said. When Welch wouldn't respond, deputies tried to detain the man, who resisted and struggled, authorities said.

Read the news here.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
No wonder he dies. 50kV is a lot of electricity:(
Esepecially to a man which is grounded(in this case by being naked), if he was hit high enought the current surely can have passed thru the heart frying him from the inside:(
And during the right circumstances the 50kV divided by the bodies resistance of about 1kΩ, that would make about 50A, and that is a really high current, since 2A can kill a man instantly:(

See folks, if you are going to get arrested, where shoes, preferrably rubberboots;)

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Don't the cops get any training with tasers when they're given them? This seems to be happening a lot lately, but on another note I'm not understanding how he was suicidal.

The suicidal factor is part of another story. Cops are trained and shot with tasers.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
I dont think people understand how Tazers work. But its easy to look at a number like 50,000 volts and think. "OMG". In reality volts are meaningless. I once laid both my arms (without thinking) on a bull pen fence. 300,000 volts through both of my arms and yes I got stuck on that fence for about 20 seconds. Lightly burnt on my arms and hurting like hell I found myself on the ground. Why didnt 300,000 volts kill me? No amperage. Takes about 2 amps on skin contact to kill a person. Tazers will never create that amount of amperage since they step up voltage from a battery (usually 9 volts or AA, some LI Ion) and in doing so cut possible duration of the shock alot never building up the amperage. They do shock multiple times, but you cant hold them down indefinitely and get the peak voltage, heat and battery drain kick in very fast reducing it quickly.

More people have died of officers trying to restrain them by hand than by tazers. Its easy to crush a windpipe, knock someones head against an object or make them land on something sharp if you have to wrestle with him. I bet they even tried physically subdueing him before the tazer. Almost gauranteed there is a contributing factor in this. Drugs, medical condition (strokes and heart attacks will make some people go bezerk) and more could have been involved all basically putting him at the end of his life at that moment.

Its easy to say alot of negative things. Cops are killers. Cops are thugs. Cops are abusing their power. While I think we have serious issues in this country I dont think law enforcement is seriously that broken. I think it would be more reasonable to just wait for the autopsy results that weren't in the article to come.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.