Terraining - Advanced

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Please do not encourage people to use WEU. If you use it on a map, the map will not be able to be opened in the normal WE again. And WEU may corrupt a map - wasting those months of hard work. Everything you want to do, you can do in WE. You just need to learn how, instead of relying on a 3rd party corrupting tool.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
>"I think that rather basic stuff"

IMO basic stuff is explaining the difference between shallow and deep water, what each button does, etc.

>"The river in the end looks a bit bad though. Instead of hiding the edges with doodads I advice to make the waterfall slightly wider than that the channel and then sinking the waterfall so deep, that the edges will go underground."

I think the waterfalls are lowered in the example (I forgot to mention it).
Anyway, the edges will stay, lowered or not.

>"Also, if you change the pitch angle to -1.20 or so, You will have to use lot fewer doodads for the river. This reduces lag and looks better since the water ramps more naturally."

Yes. Guess I forgot that part, I'll add it to the tutorial.
And it would be a pitch angle between -5 and -6. :p

Thanks for the feedback.

A

Antsu

Please do not encourage people to use WEU. If you use it on a map, the map will not be able to be opened in the normal WE again. And WEU may corrupt a map - wasting those months of hard work. Everything you want to do, you can do in WE. You just need to learn how, instead of relying on a 3rd party corrupting tool.
Maps edited with WEU are usable with normal WE as long as you don't add WEU-only GUI triggers. If you raise/lower terrain over it's normal limits in WEU, it can still be opened in WE.
I've used WEU quite long and I've never heard anyone getting his maps corrupted because of it. There's a minor risk with both WEU and WE, as in everything. It just appears to be very rare, the benefits are much more.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
If to talk offtopic, anything, that can be done in WE or in WEU, can easily been done in JASS.

2-P

Reaction score
Added the part "Additional Warcraft Skies" at the beginning of the second post. :)

S

Seanbot

Dude you have skills!
SKILLS THAT KILLS!!!!!!!
I have so much to learn.
Hey what would be some tips for an 'Arcane Library'
(it's kind of my favourite part of a map)

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
I'm sorry! I shouldn't have posted this here. Deleted.

P

panzival

The smooth edged beach

Question.jpg

I tried using the raise and lower but I could only the to raise to certain point. In the picture I got some of the cliffs using ramp, but I was wondering if there was another way of smoothing and getting rid of the cliffs.

2-P

Reaction score
What do you mean with you could only raise it to a certain point?

Judging from your mini-map, I assume you just started terraining the map. So just cover the whole map with shallow water and use raise instead of cliffs, that should work.

EDIT:
Teh noez, I just noticed my "edit-time" has run out, so much to adding more stuff to the tutorial.

2-P

Reaction score
Hax! 0.0 How many buttons can you push? :D Thank you.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
You have to make a new folder called UI inside your Warcraft folder.

Let's say your Warcraft folder has the path: C:\Program Files\Warcraft III

Then the UI folder should have the path: C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI

At last, you have to copy the MiscData inside the UI folder.

For me it worked directly in the Wc folder :D :p.

LordOglog

Reaction score
Wow this Tutorial is AMAZING lol it really is the cave thing is brilliant im looking forward to using it + Rep from me not that 1s gonna make much differnce but :D .

1337D00D

For those of you who cannot figure out why ctrl+pgup does not work for you, turn NumLock OFF and use Ctrl+9 and Ctrl+3 on NumPad.

2-P

Reaction score
Hm... take a look at the first post.

"Art - Max Roll Angle and Maximum Pitch Angle: These two properties can be very helpful when used right. They allow you to tilt the doodads along the X and Y axis of the terrain. In other words: you can rotate your doodad in 3 dimensions.
If you want to give the doodad a half rotation (180 degrees), you have to set one of the values to -3.14 (the values work with pi here).
The values have to be negative! (To insert negative values you have to allow negative values under File>Preferences and you need to press shift while double-clicking on the value."

2-P

Reaction score
There's no "maximum" rotation. If you set the rotation to -3.14 it will stay that way.
You have to create a new doodad with another rotation for each tilt angle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.