<|---|TERRAINING CONTEST|-|theme: city/village|--->

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Welcome to the Terraining Contest!

2-P and myself are proudly hosting a terraining contest and we hope to see some tough competition :thup:.

Theme: city / village.

The terrain must be related to a city / village.
Please keep in my mind that this theme is broad enough, we're not going to be nitpicky.
We don't mean that you should do a *common* Dalaran city!
We expect creativity and imagination!

Rules:

- No imports are allowed.
Everyone can import some high-poly models and do a stunning terrain.​
- The submissions will be composed of a single screenshot of your terrain.
Because your terrain will be judged from that screenshot, make sure you submit the best one you can get!​
- The screenshots will be sent to [email protected]!
You are not allowed to post them here or to disclose, by any means, which screenshot is yours. Anybody who does that will be disqualified.​
Also, I suggest you to attach them as files to the e-mails. It is the best way to go since that way the image is not shrinked down (image-uploading websites usually do that). I am not to be blamed if your image is small and not so detailed.
- You are not allowed to use any other programs than the Blizzard World Editor and WE enhancers (WEU, WE-no-limits, etc).
Using an image editing program results in disqualification, no matter what the edit was.​
- The deadline is the August, 12th 2008.

The winner will be chosen in two stages:
I. A public poll will be posted and everyone, except the judges, will be able to vote for their favorite submission. Each vote counts as 1 point.
II. The judges will grade each screenshot based on the criteria posted below.

The points from the poll will be added to the judges' grades and the winner will be the submission with the most points.

Judging Criteria:

Originality: ?/20 - Is your terrain something we never saw? Did you choose an interesting subject?
Atmosphere: ?/10 - These points are given for good usage of elements that enhance the atmosphere. Example: proper use of fog.
General Appeal: ?/20 - Points earned by a high grade of detail and variety, a good camera angle, etc...

The maximum grade you can get is 50 points.

Prizes:

- First place: 20 reputation points.
- Second place: 10 reputation points.
- Third place: 5 reputation points.

Contestants list (members on this list have already submitted a screenshot):
Code:
- Accname
- AceHart
- Battlemapsta
- Black Hawk
- Dargoth
- Daskunk
- demotry241
- Draphoelix
- Exide
- FireEffect
- Furberg
- GeertPingen
- iPeez
- manofsteel
- Mizuio-Ken
- Pineapple
- Tyman2007  
- UndeadDragon
- Zurtrogx

POLL

Results:
Chart.jpg

Reaction score
> II. The judges will grade each spell based on the criterias posted below. Then the points gained at the poll for each spell will be added to the judges' grades and the winner will be the terrainer with most points.
Spell? You sure :D?

Oh, and I cannot join, because I uninstalled my wc3 today, and noticed that I haven't got the cds anymore ;). I think it's better like that.. no more Warcraft.. a bit less than 6 years is more than enough.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Sweet.
Sign me up! =)

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
How many Screen Shots should be take?

Can we trim parts of the screan shot so that it becomes smaller, more focused?

Would the city need to be an inhabitted one?

THE_X

Reaction score
does the terrain have to be unit accecable because anyone can make a cool looking terrain but to have a unit use the surroundings like stairs, camera heights does any of that matter?

Reaction score
> does the terrain have to be unit accecable because anyone can make a cool looking terrain but to have a unit use the surroundings like stairs, camera heights does any of that matter?
If the rules don't say anything about it, it doesn't matter. Just follow the rules and you're doing fine.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's just a screeny, So really, you can do anything you want with it... You could make it completely unplayable and lower your FPS to 0.01 if you wanted to :p (As long as you get the screenshot)

Anyway - Can we edit the screenshot using other programs? Only things such as increasing the contrast or things like that.

THE_X

Reaction score
im in

does the terrain have to be unit accecable because anyone can make a cool looking terrain but to have a unit use the surroundings like stairs, camera heights does any of that matter?

also i lied there :D good terrains = fun maps and its hard to make a good one

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
I think editing your screenshot (with programs such as Photoshop or GIMP) shouldn't be allowed.
I'm guessing WEU is allowed? -I'd rather see it wasn't allowed, as well.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think editing your screenshot (with programs such as Photoshop or GIMP) shouldn't be allowed.

Except the terrain heights, which UMSWE has as well, it hasn't got anything special.
The extra models are actual blizzard models, Not imports.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
How many Screen Shots should be take?

Can we trim parts of the screan shot so that it becomes smaller, more focused?

Would the city need to be an inhabitted one?

A single screenshot. No, you have to send in the entire screenshot, you are not allowed to edit it and the city can be an inhabitted or habitted one, I did not specify that so it's up to you.

You do not have to make the terrain playable or even unit accessible. I don't look in your map, but at a screenshot.

It's just a screeny, So really, you can do anything you want with it... You could make it completely unplayable and lower your FPS to 0.01 if you wanted to :p (As long as you get the screenshot)

Anyway - Can we edit the screenshot using other programs? Only things such as increasing the contrast or things like that.

Dang, I knew I forgot something. You are not allowed to edit your screenshot in any external program. You can only use the World Editor and any enhancers for World Editor (WEU, WE-no-limits etc).

WEU is allowed because it does not offer really of an advantage. For a single screenshot I doubt you will use a lot of tilesets or more than 8000 doodads ;).

And thanks Uberplayer for pointing that out.

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
-No imports are allowed. Everyone can import some highl-poly models and do a stunning terrain, because of those. But, how good can your terrain get with what WE originally offers?

Crap, I'm so used to UTM :(. Sign me in!

THE_X

Reaction score
also does the village have to be human based, can i have a troll village, undead village, or whatever i want but still have that feel?

Draphoelix

Reaction score
theme: City. You are to terrain a city. Please keep in my mind that this theme is broad enough. We don't mean that you should do a *common* dalaran city! You can make a tauren city, an elven city and so on! we expect creativity and imagination!

a

Draphoelix

Reaction score
How do you define city/village, if I make an entrance, a tavern or something will that count? Does it have to be a screenshot from a big distance so I could catch in all the houses do define city?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.