WIP The Darkening

Fluffball

Reaction score
Brief Summary -​
The Darkening is a new type of AOS. It has a mix of Hero Line Wars (Spawn Units to gain income, while trying to fight off the other teams spawns) with AoS (Try to kill creeps and heroes, gain money, buy items, destroy the other base). The objective of the game is that you have to get as many units as you can in the opponent's Circle of Power (You're supposed to help the creeps along, and spawn more units to counter the attackers), the total amount of lives is 100.

Story -

One day, Hades, the Dark Lord, was sitting on his unholy Throne in the Underworld, pondering all his power. "I have all the undead souls of people who have died, but having power over the living is another thing entirely, they make a lot better warriors, as they have brains that haven't rotted and wasted away over time and their bones don't break like twigs, and they can create, I can have a whole army of people who can develop further, and make better weapons, so maybe I can control other planets, that are even more populated than Earth. If only I could control Earth as well as the Underworld, but I don't have enough power to overrule Zeus, he just has too many allies." He thought.

Then one day, while Hades was sitting with his wife, Persephone, he had a brain-wave. "What if I can unlock the Titan's from their mighty cells in Tartarus, to start my reign as ruler of the universe?" He asked her "Hmm... maybe I will gather a few heroes strong and evil enough to guide them, just in case anything goes wrong"

Now, Persephone, being a God and daughter of Demeter, the God of agriculture, immediately did not like the idea, but did not dare contradict Hades. So Hades, assuming his wife agreed, went over to the prison of Tartarus to unlock it.

What Hades didn't know though, was that Persephone still had ways of contacting her mother in Mount Olympia, and upon hearing this, she told Zeus immediately. After Zeus had listened, he was devastated, so he, and his fellow gods, set about hand picking a few heroes worthy of another Titanomachy (War of the Titans and Gods).

So begins The Darkening of the Earth.

v1.00 Aims -​

-10 heroes
-4 Creep Tiers
-30 Items
-About 5 systems (Probably more)
-Average Terrain
-Less than 5 "Filler" spells

Progress -​

Terrain - |||||||||| 25%
Trigger's/Systems - |||||||||| 70%
Units - |||||||||| 35%
Heroes - |||||||||| 75%
Items - |||||||||| 20%
Overall - ||||| 55%

Currently Working on: Units/Terrain

Fluffball

Reaction score
TESTING PHASES

PHASE 1: SYSTEM TESTING

This phase is pretty obvious; the map is built on a bunch of systems for creep spawns, fights, leveling, ect and they all need to be tested. In one of our early tests we found low level creeps dropping late game equipment. Before you can do any serious testing for balance and gameplay you’ve got to make sure your base is solid.

Testers: Fluffball, thewrongvine, Jolly_chap* (UG), skyblade333 (G), Exide, captainrads

PHASE 2: ALPHA TESTING

During Alpha testing things will start to get interesting. All systems should be in place and so now it’s just about starting to bring some balance to the map. During this phase we will be addressing issues such as attack modifiers, spell mana costs, spell damage, cooldowns, wave scaling, ect. While we won’t be able to get everything totally balanced during this phase it should give us a pretty level field with which to start the final phase of testing.

Testers: Fluffball, thewrongvine, Jolly_chap* (UG), skyblade333 (G), Exide, captainrads

PHASE 3: BETA TESTING

The final phase of testing will be putting the map through it’s paces, checking group dynamics, seeing how it all fits together. We may identify some major issues here that we need to fix prior to release but I would much rather find them and address them BEFORE release that have to rush around after release and try and fix them. If we learned anything from previous testing it’s to put things through their paces until you don’t think you can go anymore, and then go some more. This has been a HUGE effort with tons of time and resources throw into, it’s worth taking the additional time to get it right!

(Credits to FatherTime for the testing process)

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I thought that the war between titans was called the Titanomachy, titanarchy sounds like a form of government.

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
Cool idea.
Will the heroes be representative of humans or demigods?

Fluffball

Reaction score
>azlier, yeah, you're probably right... it does sound like a type of government, a one with kind leaders

>Chao, They will represent both trying to fight off the titans, and the Dark Heroes will be trying to fight off through the God's heroes and their mercenaries (creeps). I might implement the Titans and Gods coming down a 3rd lane (Middle) in later versions, like bosses that you have to beat, and get some nice items from.

Advena

Just casually observing atm ;)
Reaction score
So you finally post something about the actual map belonging to that loadscreen you've been wanting people to do for you, for a month or so :p hehe
Sounds like a nice enough map idea though, I'd like to try playing it :)

It also seems you actually know some things about ancient mythology, and not only make things up with a few famous names in the middle. That's always a plus :thup:

Fluffball

Reaction score
Ahh, so you wanted to see the map? Seems like i've got the idea covered then :D

Fluffball

Reaction score
No other feedback?

Kk, sorry, when i finish terrain i will post some screenies :p

Advena

Just casually observing atm ;)
Reaction score
well... tbh, there isn't much more in your post to give feedback on, mate :p

Fluffball

Reaction score
Ok, looking for testers for phase 1, 2 and 3. (See second post)
Testing will hopefully commence in 1-2 weeks.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
What's to test? I don't see a link or download.

But if you mean "wants to test when it comes out" then yes, I would like to test. :)

Sounds pretty cool. Good luck! :thup:

Fluffball

Reaction score
Sorry if I wasn't very clear :p.

It's to test it when it comes out, but before the general Battle Net public will be able to play it. Please also state which stages (or all) you want to test.

Fluffball

Reaction score
Need more testers, got 1 hero that won't take very long, then the units, which I can get done fairly quickly.

Jolly chap*

Reaction score
I would like to be a tester. Just don't ask me to test something on B.net coz there's something wrong with my B.net in my Warcraft. This map is full of promising potential and you have good knowledge of mythology, which is great. :D

Jolly chap*

Reaction score
Well ... we I'm guessing this is quite a new map so you would need to test it in Single-Player first before even thinking about trying it out with other people. I would like to test all the stages too ... if you need B.Net I could try and find a solution to my B.Net error as quickly as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.