The New MacBook Pro's

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
So, finally they arrive!

MacBook Pro 13" 1280x800, $1199
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz RAM, 250GB 5400 RPM HDD, NVidia GeForce 320M 256MB, 10 Hour Battery.

MacBook Pro 15" 1680x1050 (with glossy or anti-glare finish), $1899
2.4GHz Core i5, 4GB 1066MHz RAM, 320GB 5400 RPM HDD, Intel HD graphics 256MB + GeForce GT 330M 256MB, 8-9 Hour Battery.

MacBook Pro 17" 1920x1200 (with glossy or (+$50) anti-glare finish), $2499
2.66GHz Core i7, 4GB 1066MHz RAM, 500GB 5400 RPM HDD, Intel HD graphics 256MB + GeForce GT 330M 512MB, 8-9 Hour Battery.

The models with two graphics cards have automatic graphic card switching, and they are all LED-backlit widescreen displays.
So what does everyone think? I don't need a laptop but I think the 17" is pretty good value.

(Note, these aren't all stock settings)

Myzteryz

It only does everything.
Reaction score
This is good value? really? Who needs this apart from the guys that make movies and make graphics and whatnot. Macbooks are the epitome of the apple brand overrated trend. These days they are just as much as an accessory as a stylish watch or classy clothes.

I mean, yeah, they are nice looking and you know what? If I had a five digit budget for buywhateveriwantshit, I'd probably get it (after all the useful stuff I could probably buy).

The only reason I'd see myself buying this would be to play WoW. But I could get something just as nice and most likely way cheaper (albeit not with osx).

I think what Apple has done to achieve this is make things simple. There are only a handful of Apple Macintosh computers models out there solely made by Apple. With the other regular laptops, there are just a lot of specs to deal with, brands, and models.
With apple, you just have to walk into a store, look at a list and the more expensive one is definitely the one with the better specs.

Even right now, I'm heading off to college and looking for a laptop. I have no idea where to even begin. Atm, I'd need to figure out what's a good price for X specs and whatnot. In the end, I'll probably have to bite on some random model on sale for a good price.

Yeah that was a huge rant. Apple definitely has good marketing.

TLDR: $2.5k Fuck me.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Erm okay lol...

Does anyone think they are good value for what you get? (not including the OS)

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
My Laptop is 18.4'' and not portable, trust me when I say NOT PORTABLE it's more like a stay at home laptop, this is not what your looking for if you decide to get the 17'' for portable device.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
My Laptop is 18.4'' and not portable, trust me when I say NOT PORTABLE it's more like a stay at home laptop, this is not what your looking for if you decide to get the 17'' for portable device.

Ditto.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
If I was getting a laptop for portability I'd go the 13", it has the longest battery life. The 17" would be more for mobile work.

Seprest

Reaction score
How hot will they get with those graphics cards while doing computer taxing editing and such?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Does anyone think they are good value for what you get?
Definately not. My brother's looking for a new laptop at the moment and for one with similiar specs to the 15" (minus the graphics cards) it will set him back £350. Nearly £1000 for some graphics cards (which he'll never see the use of)? That's what I'd call a rip-off.

My friend has an older model of Macbook or something or other, it has lower specs than my laptop and set him back 3 times the price (both were released around the same time).

So yeah. I don't think they're good value at all.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
If I was getting a laptop for portability I'd go the 13", it has the longest battery life. The 17" would be more for mobile work.

The macs dont need that extra processing power, but if you want that 17" you can get that thing to dish out some AWESOME graphics, like gaming.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
The macs dont need that extra processing power, but if you want that 17" you can get that thing to dish out some AWESOME graphics, like gaming.
I didn't think the GT 330M was very good? It seems to get half the FPS of a ATI Radeon 4850M.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good quality hardware. :thup: But high prices. :thdown:

I agree. The quality of the hardware that they offer is very good, but the price just makes me think that I would rather not buy one.

Corleone

Reaction score
8-9 Hour Battery.

Hahaha! Since when did battery life triple? Really now...

As for the specs, they are quite nice, but there is no way in hell it's worth $2500,00.

Lambda_drive

Reaction score

But a macbook probably won't be as thick and heavy as your beast of a laptop.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
imagine carrying around half a yard stick when you want to use your laptop, quite tedious.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
If the 13" really gets 10 hours of battery life, I'd definitely buy it if I needed a laptop.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.