Timer with parameters using timeutils

romanandre

Reaction score
How do I make something like:

JASS:
somefunc takes unit u, unit attacker, real dmg returns nothing
    UnitDamageTarget( u, attacker, real , true, true, AT, DT, WT)
endfunction
public otherfunc takes unit u, unit attacker, real dmg returns nothing
    timer t=NewTimer()
    TimerStart(t, TIME, false, function somefunc(u, attacker, real)
endfunction

Its just and exemple, I know I have to use stucts and SetTimerData, but where is a tutorial to show it more detailed, I havent figured it out by just other instances.
Thanks for help.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Just search around the Tutorials/Resources section of The Helper.net and you'll find some tutorials to help you with using structs. I will provide you with an example though, I use TimerUtils as well.

JASS:
struct STRUCT
    unit u
    unit attacker
    real damage
    //A very basic struct
    method onDestroy takes nothing returns nothing
        set .u = null
        set .attacker = null
        set .damage = 0
        // this method is necessary to prevent leaks and null variables, it is called by d.destroy()
    endmethod
endstruct

function somefunc takes nothing returns nothing //this your callback func, this happens everytime the timer expires according to the interval you set
    local timer t = GetExpiredTimer()
    local STRUCT d = GetTimerData(t)

call UnitDamageTarget(d.attacker,d.u,d.damage,//etc etc etc)
    //You'll eventually want to add conditions to terminate the function and the timer, for example when the unit is dead.
    if GetWidgetLife(d.u) <= 0 then
        call PauseTimer(t)
        call d.destroy()
        call ReleaseTimer(t)
        call DestroyTimer(t)
        //this if will destroy the timer when the unit dies.
        //This is the procedure to follow when stopping a timer callback function.
    endif

set t = null
endfunction

function otherfunc takes unit u, unit attacker, real damage returns nothing
    local timer t = NewTimer()
    local STRUCT d = STRUCT.create() //create a struct

set d.u = u
    set d.attacker = attacker
    set d.damage = damage
    // set the struct parameters

call SetTimerData(t,d) // attach the data to the timer
    call TimerStart(t,TIME,true,function somefunc) //somefunc must take nothing in order to work here <--

set t = null
endfunction,

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
da1nOnlyEd:
JASS:
   method onDestroy takes nothing returns nothing
        set .u = null
        set .attacker = null
        set .damage = 0
        // this method is necessary to prevent leaks and null variables, it is called by d.destroy()
    endmethod

1. You don't have to null any struct instance variables especially those of native type (integer, real, string, boolean, code).
You also don't have to null timers you get from NewTimer because they are never going to be destroy.

Edit: also using the onDestroy method I guess should only happen with struct specialization/inheritance else it is complied to a big pile of bloat.
So instead use

JASS:
// naming the destructor destroy is not mandatory but a convention I suppose
//
method destroy takes nothing returns nothing
     // DestroySpecialEffect(fx) for example
    deallocate() // this line is very important else the struct instance won't get recycled
endmethod

Dirac

Reaction score
>"You also don't have to null timers you get from NewTimer because they are never going to be destroy."

I've told you before, this isn't true, you're not nulling the timer, you're nulling the local that saves it's handle as a variable. You do have to null it.

It's like saying you dont have to null [ljass]player p=Player(0)[/ljass] after use because the player never gets destroyed.

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
Dirac:

1. I've told you before, this isn't true, you're not nulling the timer, you're nulling the local that saves it's handle as a variable. You do have to null it.

2. It's like saying you dont have to null player p=Player(0) after use because the player never gets destroyed.

1. Where did you read about nulling timers (variables pointing to timers) you get from NewTimer or equivalent that recycles timers?
Give me an example library that uses TimerUtils (NewTimer) and nulls the local timer after the SetTimerData + TimerStart calls.

2. Well of course you don't have to null variables of type [ljass]player[/ljass].

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Sgqvur, nulling handles in general is beneficial, there have been a lot of reports of lag being eliminated simply by nulling player handles (though I have not been able to replicate this myself so you are welcome to call B.S.)

However you are one to talk about code bloat by encouraging the use of function interfaces.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.