Unit Teleporting Spells / Buffs without wait timers

lionheadxO

Reaction score
I'm making two different teleporting spells, one that teleports you to the target and you gain evasion for x seconds., and a teleporting ability that swaps positions with you and your target. I've got the teleport part down, but I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out how to do add passive abilities to a unit for X seconds. Both skills are based off storm bolt, but they are for two different units.

Shadow Walk
Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Shadow Walk [T]
Actions
Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))

This is my teleport ability, it is simple but I'm not sure how to add the evasion for X seconds. I was thinking of using Add - Ability/Remove - Ability, but I wasn't sure how I could time it with out using a wait timer. I don't want to use the wait timer because I need the skill to be MUI.
Nether Swap
Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Nether Swap [T]
Actions
Set NS_Trigger_unit_loc = (Position of (Triggering unit))
Set NS_Target_unit_loc = (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to NS_Trigger_unit_loc
Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to NS_Target_unit_loc

For this one, it seems to work some what fine, the units get swapped, mana is used, but the cooldown does not trigger for some reason. does anyone know whats wrong?

cowmenace

Reaction score
There's always a workaround for the wait. Without local variables, I discovered that creating a dummy works fine if there is one unit casting the spell for each player.

Your first trigger will create a dummy unit, then give it an expiration timer of the time you want to wait before taking the ability away. Last, store the triggering unit in (unit_variable[player number of(owner of triggering unit)]) then add the evasion ability to the unit

Your second trigger will be event- a unit dies;; condition- unit-type of triggering equal to (dummy unit);; actions- remove evasion from unit_variable[player number of(owner of triggering unit)]

Hope it helps, it always does for me =)

As far as your second one goes, uhm. make sure the ability has a cooldown? other than that, idk what to tell you

lionheadxO

Reaction score
what would happen if there were two copies of the unit that cast the spell at the same time though? would it bug out?

cowmenace

Reaction score
If one player has more than one of these units, yes. If several players all have one of these units, no. I assumed it was a hero, sorry =/ It is possible to do it, but would require a loop of a really higher number, and would be intensely complicated. I have used something like this in my map. Honestly, not worth it =/ unless the spell is absolutely perfect and exactly what you want, then I can show you the concept I used in my map. It will take endless hours to make though...

However, if you limit the training of this unit-type to one per player, then all shall be fine!
=D

DonRoman

Reaction score
Waits should work fine here, since triggering unit isnt lost after a wait.

You can just use:

Code:
Events - Unit starts effect of an ability
Conditions - Ability = XYZ
Actions 
  - Unit add Evasion to triggering unit
  - Wait 10 seconds
  - Unit remove Evasion from triggering unit
should work fine.

Also if you dont want the icon to be seen put the ability in a spellbook and disable it for all players at map initializion, then just add the spellbook.

lionheadxO

Reaction score
how do you store the unit? and wouldnt donromans suggestion bug out? if two units owned by different players cast, wouldnt one unit be stuck with evasion on?

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
The event response Triggering Unit works perfectly fine with waits, so there's really no problem with using one in this case.

lionheadxO

Reaction score
oh yeah i guess it does work. but now for the second question, for some reason when i make abilities that instantly move the unit the cooldown stops procing when you cast the spell. anyone know how to fix that?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.