University Terms

Volkof

Reaction score
Since I will be entering University soon, I came across some terms that wasn't quite sure what they mean. Can anyone enlighten me?

Honours
Master

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
Note that my definitions are Canadian, and may not be consistent in other countries (but likely are for things like this)

Honours - Generally, to get your bachelors degree you either go through a three year general program or a four year honours program. The honours simply makes it a longer program.
Master - After getting a bachelor's degree, you can continue your studies to obtain a Master's degree, and after that a Doctorate with even more study. The Master's degree does not need to be in the same field as your bachelor's degree.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Honours - tougher classes for better students. looks great when you graduate, impresses people that look at your transcript, can be put on a resume, etc.

Masters - a higher degree than bachelors, typically takes 5 years. Or you can just get it after getting your 4 year bachelors. Of course any of them can take longer or shorter depending on how many credits you take per semester and whether or not you take summer/winter classes.

Volkof

Reaction score
Dont quite get it.

So first you start of as Bachalor Degree, then if u r good, u progress to honours. If u want to further studies, u progress to Master. Can I put it this way?

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Dont quite get it.

So first you start of as Bachalor Degree, then if u r good, u progress to honours. If u want to further studies, u progress to Master. Can I put it this way?

Yep that is pretty much the gist of it. With my degree though, it was 4 years and honours was granted depending on your average mark across certain subjects. Other degrees will be an extra year to get the honours. Just really depends on the degree you are going for.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Not wanting to create a new thread about other university terms I don't know about, what are these?

1. In-state students.
2. Out-of-state students.

Thanks in advance.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
1. Undergraduate: 3 - 4 year liberal arts education
2. Graduate: usually 1 - 2 years to master a specific field of art or science, usually ends with written thesis (book)
3. Ph.D.: 7 years and then oral examine and thesis (book), students work with professors of their specific field of study to create an original work to complete their formal education

1. In-state students: students in United States within the state where the school is located (I as a Wisconsin citizen would be an in-state student for Madison University)
2. Out-of-state students: the opposite of above

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Instate means you graduated from a highschool of the same state as the college. This usually means you have cheaper tuition than an out of state student.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Instate means you graduated from a highschool of the same state as the college. This usually means you have cheaper tuition than an out of state student.

I have to *force* myself to believe that, because now I've realized how tough it is to sustain living expenses for my mom in the USA. Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.