Upgrade Type

What type of upgrade would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
Place a vote on which type of upgrade you would prefer, and then (if you like [although I insist you do so (even if you don't want to)]) place a post on this thread explaining why.
If you vote, you get my respect (for assisting my in this time of need)
If you post (with good reason to do so), you get my respect as well (for helping me keep this thread on page 1).
If you vote AND post, you get my respect AND some +rep :eek:

In my map, located here, I am now at a stage where I am constructing upgrades. (Yes, I do realise that that thread has not recently been updated... I will do that when I finish my map)

There are three variations that I can use.
Now, this is where I need YOUR help!

Option 1 - Singular
The upgrades will only affect ONE building of that type.
Example
Let's say you have three buildings; Barracks 1, Barracks 2, and a Workshop. If you upgrade "Heath Increase" from Barrack 1, it will increase the health of the units spawned from Barracks 1 ONLY.
Also, if Barracks 1 is destroyed, then all upgrades that have been researched in Barracks 1 will be lost FOREVER! :eek: arrrgggghhhh!!! nooO!!111! :eek:
Take note that this could induce strategies as a player may concentrate on destroying enemy buildings with the most upgrades first, thus drastically weakening the army.

Option 2 - Multiple
The upgrades affect all buildings of that particular type.
Example
Let's say you have three buildings; Barracks 1, Barracks 2, and a Lumber Mill (that spawns, erm... Wooden Ghouls! Yes... that should do. [I didn't want this example to be too similar to the example in Option 1]).
If you upgrade "Damage Increase" in Barracks 1, it will increase the damage of all the units spawned from Barracks 1 AND Barracks 2, since they are the same type of building.
That means that if some or all of the Barracks are destroyed, the upgrades will NOT be lost.

Option 3 - Global
The upgrades affect all buildings, regardless of type.
Example
Let's say you have three buildings (once again); a Crypt, a Slaughterhouse, and a Boneyard.
Now, with this variation, the upgrades will not be contained in the buildings, but will instead be in the COMMAND CENTRE. To use the COMMAND CENTRE you simply press Esc, and you will select it. The COMMAND CENTRE contains ALL buildings (with unlimited build range) for the race you have chosen (also in the COMMAND CENTRE) and, if you have a special HACK (which you can read about them here), the COMMAND CENTRE will contain the ability that activies that specific HACK.
So, if you upgrade "Armour Bonus" in the COMMAND CENTRE, it will cause the Crypt, Slaughterhouse, and Boneyard to all spawn units with the respective Armour Bonus upgrade.
If some or any of the buildings are destroyed, the upgrades will NOT be lost.

Further Information

When you create a building, the units spawn at certain intervals; similar to Footmen Frenzy (there are upgrades to make them spawn quicker, though)

Each building has a population limit; that is that the building will only spawn a certain amount of units before it stops the spawning process (this limit can be upgraded, of course)

There are three types of unit-producing structures. Each of these structures has a limit to the amount of times it can be built.
Units Produced - Building Limit
Light - 3
Medium - 2
Heavy - 1

Upgrades will be exponentially more expensive.
Example
Level 1 - 50g
Level 2 - 100g
Level 3 - 170g
Level 4 - 320g
Level 5 - 515g
Level 6 - 1240g
Level 20 - 244,250g
These figures are not correct, they are simply there to explain what the exponetial increment looks like

Singular - cheapest price per upgrade, but more upgrades
Multiple - more expensive than singular, less upgrades than singular
Global - most expensive, least upgrades
The total price will probably work out to be the same, though.

Time to Vote (and post)!
Now that you are informed with the appropriate information, please vote (and place a post on this thread)!

Thank you for your assistance.

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
Well, two votes so far. Not too bad considering my other poll had one vote after two days.

Anyway, this one is open for 7-days (6-days left from today).
With the last poll about 95% of the votes came in on day 5, so hopefully, the same thing should happen to this one... which is why I've left it open for 7-days instead of 5-days (like my previous poll).

It would be even better, though, if I get lots of votes EVERY day, and not just on day 5.

Either way, I'm not forcing you, yet I'm not restraining you either.
So, what are 'ya waitin' for? :D
Get out thar' and give us a vote (and post)!

spirits

Reaction score
i have a questions. will this game be like a civ wars type game and or like a custom castle fight etc?

or will it be like melee games?

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
I'd prefer multiple over singular since you would keep it simple, and yet still contain an aspect of having to estimate which towers you would benefit most from upgrading. Also this way you omit people upgrading a single tower repeatively at early game stages to kill everything.

emilemil1

Reaction score
Having Singular would allmost force players to only have one building of each type to create the most effective units. While this could be good and create a versatile army it has its downsides:

1. The most obvious, it gets destroyed and everything is lost.
2. You have the building high upgraded but want more of that unit faster, the new building you create would then spawn (unless very balanced) useless units that would feed the enemy.
3. I don't know if this applies to your map but if you have long upgrade times it would cut off the unit flow while upgrading, something you can avoid when having many of a particular building. And the positive effect of beeing able to tech serveral upgrades at once.
4. A continuation on 1., If you have one of each building and one is destroyed, it would take a very long time to upgrade over and over to make a new building as good again. Though this might be good if you want destroyed buildings to have major effects :)

I think a good solution to 1. and 4. is that if the building is destroyed, the upgrades are stored and accessible if you make a new building, perhaps for a tiny cost.

A fix for 3. would be to have a upgrade center "link" itself to the building it should apply the upgrade for.

Personally i like the multiple one, it is similar to the single one but applies to all of that building type. A nice addition to it would be to make the initial price of the building go up each time you upgrade it. And maybe drop to normal if all buildings are destroyed and the upgrades are lost.

The global one is obviously the standard one. Which don't appeal to me as it is generic and boring.

Thats +1 to multiple from me =D

Kikac_NNGK

Reaction score
I preffer multiple, but that depends on what kind of map u have.
I chosed multiple cos it will be better if the building is destroyed and the upgrade is not (and some other stuffs too, but i dont want to describe so much now sry:)), but, i will say again, that depends on what kind of map u have.

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that has voted, and an extra special thank you to those who have voted and posted.

The main post has been updated with some more information to aid you in your decision.

H34DhUnT3r

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Singular

I was amazed by the low number of votes to singular so I needed to post :p

Like you said:
Take note that this could induce strategies as a player may concentrate on destroying enemy buildings with the most upgrades first, thus drastically weakening the army.

It's very simple actually: if you have someone against you that is def better then you you still have a chance to win.

Also this upgrade type mixes up the strategies of players

And if you have a lot of time on your hands you can always add the option to choose between the upgrade types at the start of the game? :rolleyes:

Greetings,
H34DhUnT3r[NL]

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
H34DhUnT3r said:
And if you have a lot of time on your hands you can always add the option to choose between the upgrade types at the start of the game?
Ooo! :eek: I never thought about that.

However, I won't try and get EVERYTHING done on the first version of the map. This poll, however, will give me an idea of what people would enjoy using until the option to choose between the upgrade types is implemented.

Komaqtion

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'll have to go with multiple, since if you haven't cared to build more than one of thses "barracks" as of you speak, but still have upgraded everything to max,(this is so save money i guess XD) and it get's destroyed,. all your hard work will be lost, and you leave the game lol XD

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I love strategy games, especially those where the player is allowed plenty of descision, the more the better, thus I choose number 1.

To all of you that thinks that it will be a problem and that people will go for the strongest building: Eat my shorts!;)

I think of it this way:
I have played quite a few maps, with many different types of "upgrade-ways".

Option3: Least upgrades, which means that it will have less vercatility.

Option2: This is the middle one and yeah, you know.

Option1: Most vercatile option, this allows the players to really think about how to spend their resources and also to develop new strategies to deal with different enemies.

I have played far to many games where both me and my opponent has upgraded everything and just stands there matching equal until we do the rock, scissor, paper thing to descide a winner, that is why I chose the first option:)

Angel_Island

Much long, many time, wow
Reaction score
I also think as Komaqtion do, because if your building gets destoryed you will certainly leave the game. So I'll go with multiple.

Carl-Fredrik

Reaction score
I think multiple... I've read through the posts and it seems like the best one. I don't have anything to add from the other posts :p

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
Well, just so y'all know, I was initially going to make it Singular, because that was my initial idea was.
Maybe I should vote as well..? :D
Anyway, I value all of your different opinions.

However, some of you seem to have the idea that people will build one building and upgrade it heaps. However, since the upgrade cost is exponential, it will get to a stage (very quickly) where it would be better to simply build another of the same building type - thus more units and more population.

There are also health upgrades for buildings, so if you really buff up one building with heaps of upgrades, you can upgrade the building's health as well, making it harder to be destroyed.
I probably should have mentioned that earlier. Oh well, it doesn't matter.

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
Only a few days left until the poll closes.
Now remember, if you vote and post, you get +rep! :eek:

Danis[h]

Reaction score
I'd want multiple. Seems easier than singular but "rare" enough that you have to think about what you're doing to at least some extent, rather than just upgrading everything with one button.

kevlamin

Reaction score
hi this sounds like its going to be a good map i think you should do option 1 beacause some players will get bored quickly having full upgrades on every building 10 mins :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.