Warcraft Editor Unlimited

Heyaheya321

Reaction score
Warcraft World Ediotr unlimted is awesome in helps in so many ways. I hear alot of bad stories about it going haywire and losing maps. I just want to know what are the down sides of this program.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
A number of 'advanced' triggers make the map unable to be opened by a normal World Editor. Most of the things you can do in WEU you can do in WE if you know how.

This doesn't really matter if you don't intend on sharing your map in any way. However, if you use WEU on a map and post it here it makes it difficult to help answer your questions. I don't know how many other people are the same as me, but I refuse to use WEU. So I can't help with any question related to "How do I do this in WEU??"

To that I say learn to use the proper tools.

Some functions can cause the map to become corrupted. i.e 3 months of hard work down the drain if you haven't got a backup copy somewhere.

Some 'advanced' triggers cause desyncs in multiplayer games. (but that can happen anywhere and any program - mostly because the mapmaker / programmer / designer doesn't know how to do certain things.)

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
And lets not forget that the advanced stuff adds like 300 kb of crap stuff that you can make in the regular editor anyway, and have more control over...

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
I started using WEU on my rpg, when i was finished with terrain and some trigger, i thought, "this sux, lets change back" but the map was lost, now i have to redo EVERY....SINGLE...BIT!

BTW: I didnt even use any triggers then, once saved with weu you can never go back!

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Technically the chance of having your map corrupted with WEU is the same as the chance of corrupting your map with the normal editor (which isn't as small as most people think!).
Most of the time its the users' fault...
"Hey what does this button do"
"I wonder is it true that your map can't be deleted when using WEU"
"U stands for Unlimited so I must be safe"

To sum it all up:
-don't use WEU unless you really have to...seriously
-don't use Advanced Triggers if you are just going to use one of them or so
-don't open a WEU map in normal WE...once WEU=always WEU
-don't come here complaining if your map gets corrupted
-ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP, REGARDLESS OF WHAT EDITOR YOU USE

Reaction score
Technically the chance of having your map corrupted with WEU is the same as the chance of corrupting your map with the normal editor (which isn't as small as most people think!).
Most of the time its the users' fault...
"Hey what does this button do"
"I wonder is it true that your map can't be deleted when using WEU"
"U stands for Unlimited so I must be safe"

To sum it all up:
-don't use WEU unless you really have to...seriously
-don't use Advanced Triggers if you are just going to use one of them or so
-don't open a WEU map in normal WE...once WEU=always WEU
-don't come here complaining if your map gets corrupted
-ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP, REGARDLESS OF WHAT EDITOR YOU USE
that basically sumed everything up...

The Big S

Reaction score
Some 'advanced' triggers cause desyncs in multiplayer games. (but that can happen anywhere and any program - mostly because the mapmaker / programmer / designer doesn't know how to do certain things.)

That confirms it. I always knew it was World Editor causing those server splits (I had gone over all other known desync problems multiple times :p)

M

Mythic Fr0st

hmm

So so negative...
I've used WEU for 4 - 6 Months,

Good Stuff
Advanced triggers, (LIFE MUCH EASIER)
Built in Saveload code that works great (in my ORPG anyway)
16 terrain types
Advanced spells and so on...

MORE variables... (not available in WE, I think)

Bad Stuff:
Map corruption (over 6 months, happened to me once!, and I had 4 backups)
Ocasionally, navigating WEU, and doing stuff in the "Scenario" section of the editor, it can just "shut down", not saving or anything...

And some other minor errors

My opinion, if you keep more than 2 backups, you SHOULD be fine...

I am, I highly recommend this editor, no matter the bad "critiques" it has

And lets not forget that the advanced stuff adds like 300 kb of crap stuff that you can make in the regular editor anyway, and have more control over...

its only 100-200 if you add "advanced triggers" up to about 700 with the rest...

But I enabled 80% of them, and in my ORPG, its only 1k unprotected (4-600 protected)

and my ORPG is huge, 256 * 256, with over 13000/trees doodads, so I think WEU is well worth it

But its up to you, WEU is bad, without backups, always have backups!

the only people who actually, complain about WEU, are people who know how to do all its stuff the hard way, (such as really smart users on TH)

people who didnt make backups, and lost their map...

people who think WEU's bad because of what others say...

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
So so negative...
I've used WEU for 4 - 6 Months,

Good Stuff
Advanced triggers, (LIFE MUCH EASIER)
Built in Saveload code that works great (in my ORPG anyway)
16 terrain types
Advanced spells and so on...

MORE variables... (not available in WE, I think)

Bad Stuff:
Map corruption (over 6 months, happened to me once!, and I had 4 backups)
Ocasionally, navigating WEU, and doing stuff in the "Scenario" section of the editor, it can just "shut down", not saving or anything...

And some other minor errors

My opinion, if you keep more than 2 backups, you SHOULD be fine...

I am, I highly recommend this editor, no matter the bad "critiques" it has

its only 100-200 if you add "advanced triggers" up to about 700 with the rest...

But I enabled 80% of them, and in my ORPG, its only 1k unprotected (4-600 protected)

and my ORPG is huge, 256 * 256, with over 13000/trees doodads, so I think WEU is well worth it

But its up to you, WEU is bad, without backups, always have backups!

the only people who actually, complain about WEU, are people who know how to do all its stuff the hard way, (such as really smart users on TH)

people who didnt make backups, and lost their map...

people who think WEU's bad because of what others say...

the hard way is the best way...you get more experience and more fun in the ending knowing you can do anything else that will be challenging...well that is how I see stuff in life..

M

Mythic Fr0st

hmm

WEU is useful

Such as this action

Do action AND do action

for my "Give function" in my RPG, It would require I have 30 normal actions...

With WEU, only 15...

WEU is certainly worth it... I can do almost anything in map making, (not saveload codes:( )

WEU/WE makes no difference to me, but its just handy...
Noobs, should learn "how" to do it the hard way, but WEU makes life easy

- and very hard sometimes...

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
I use WEU too...just saying I would prefer coding my own spell and stuff...rather than using WEU spell helper...

although It is useful when I am lazy...anyways
to me..something you worked on is satisfying even if it didn't exactly come out the way you wanted it to

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
I only use WEU for the freedom on tilesets, and not much can go wrong there, except using cliff tiles that aren't part of the original tileset (these extra cliff tiles can only be seen ingame using some patched .exe).

...and I agree with the others. The chance of WEU corrupting something is about as likely as the plain World Editor corrupting something. Plus, most people keep a backup (if not several) of their map in another directory.

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
Here's my list of the stuff I would use WEU for if I used it:
* Extra tiles (this uses WE Enhancer). This is probably the single most useful thing of WEU, since it has never caused a single problem for anyone, and the benefits of I think an extra 7 or so tiles is huge.
* Memory Leak Functions in GUI. This is useful for the people too lazy to type out the custom script to remove things such as Points & Unit Groups, or just simply to save time.
* 90 Degree Cliffs using the raise/lower tool. Very important for terrainers.
* Object Editor Organization. A little wierd to get used to at first, but it makes a lot more sense than the regular world-editor organization. For example, the unit names/descriptions are at the top, rather than the bottom, seeing as you change them a lot this makes sense.
* Hidden Objects. Really nice since you don't have to dig them up from various lists or worry about typing in the "hidden" object path.
* Remove doodad/item/unit limits. You can just use WE No Limits patch to get rid of this but it's still a nice feature.
* Shows you how to make your "own" world editor, by having the UI files such as TriggerData, TriggerStrings, etc very easily accessed.
* Larger map size (only usable in extremely epic maps)

Btw, SFilip WEU sometimes does rare other "corruptions" such as a varied pathing map or terrain differences that aren't noticable at first. I had this happen to me when I used to use WEU, when I switched to WE, some pathable areas became unpathable, and some terrain glitches appeared.

You have a very good point though, 99% of the time it is the user's fault.

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
i got my map coruppted in normal WE and when i used WEU its opened it somehow from now on i use WEU and i always backup.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.