Warcraft III Sending Data to External SQL Database

Knights

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Is it possible for WC3 at the end of the game, or when a player leaves or some interval of time, to send some variables to an SQL Database, and when the player joins the game, to retrieve them? If this was possible, save/load codes would no longer be nessicary, as well as there would be a potential for a Warcraft III MMORPG, which would be simply amazing.

I'm not the greatest at C++, but as far as I know, WoW Private Servers (I know, not supported...) use C++, so I think it must be possible to "host" a WC3 "server" and have it constantly sending data to all the connected players about who else is connected and where they are in the world, what monster they are attacking, what direction they are facing, what level they are, etc.

That would be very amazing, and I do beleive it is possible, I just need a C++ expert to give me a bit of advice/help...=)

Also; Phyrex1ans code for the custom ladder, that is basically doing what this needs to do, except it would be better if it did not need to save the game, if it could simply send the data. If it does need a save game, the MMORPG idea is crushed... :(

Well anyways,
Thanks for reading...if anyone has any ideas, share them!

Thanks,
Knights:cool:

Knights

Reaction score
I guess the answer is no.

:(

Do you have any explenation?

Field View ORPG (FVORPG.com), a recent "discovery" of mine, has a system where you run a program (I think C++) and it basically does what I was just suggesting...so I know it must be possible.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
The Hive Workshop said:
A project that aims to add more functionality to Warcraft III, while at the same time keeping it a low size, so it's still useful for mappers. RtC will be available for any type of map, mod or even a Total Conversion.
More about Reinventing the Craft project can be found here.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Also; Phyrex1ans code for the custom ladder, that is basically doing what this needs to do, except it would be better if it did not need to save the game, if it could simply send the data. If it does need a save game, the MMORPG idea is crushed... :(
It's possible to do without the save game but then it wouldn't be my code :p
The reason why I selected the save game method is that is the only method (ok, there's replays too) I know of to export data from wc3 without doing any kind of "hacking". Save games are natively supported by wc3.

Anyway, save games would be very impractical for this so you better look at the "hacking" methods (eg custom native).

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
This idea was thought of several times in the past.
The RtC project I'm working on does have some SQLite natives (still problematic at the time of writing), but I really doubt it will ever become popular considering custom natives require a "patch" to work.

Knights

Reaction score
So theres no way to create a "hack" that will basically be a little program you run, and it will detect WC3 running and then the game running, and then begin to extract data? You would need to actually alter files in the WC3 folder, and have everyones files be the same in order for that sort of thing to work?

I'm really interested then, at how the program for FVORPG works (fvorpg.com), from what I can see with the screenshots (I can't run the program I don't have Warcraft on this computer), it doesn't need any save game to communicate with the running warcraft III game...that would be amazing if it could constantly communicate, because it would therefore be possible to constantly communicate between all running warcraft III games of that certain type and merge them all into one for a big MMORPG. So if anyone is able to figure out just what they are doing with that program...it would be excellent...=)

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
How about the WOW map in hive, I just cant belive people in the hive are like geeks :D
They do extreme things in making maps.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Well, our method is probably as simple as it can get, but that's sadly not enough.
You run RtC.exe instead of running war3.exe and then play the game normally.
This site you linked to offers very little information whatsoever and it didn't work for me (or it's simply working very, very slowly which is a bad thing as well). It seems to be using a similar method as grimoire (the core of RtC), but on a running game which isn't such a good idea and makes it harder to use.

Creating a program that extracts data from a running wc3 game is possible, but very difficult and in the end not worth it as most people would simply ignore your tool or wouldn't figure out how to use it.

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Oh so you mean another .DLL ?
Or is it built in with the executable?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.