Wc3 Editor: Hero Custom Abilities

leonardo pilastri

Reaction score
Hello there! This is my first post on thehelper.net, and it's the reason I signed up.
Anyway, I'm creating a huge map with a lot of heroes and I don't really like to use classic abilities that came from warcraft, I enjoy customize abilities and 'til now I ain't got any problem, maybe 'cause the abilities I created were pretty simple. Now I was about to create a sort of hex, that could jump to many targets like chain lightning though. If I take as base ability hex, how can I simply add the function to jump to other targets after the first?
Should I use triggers? And another question I got is: How can I add to a ability other effects after the first? For instance: I want to make a firebolt that can stun an enemy and also can heal the caster.

Thanks for replies :)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
the only way to do what you are describing is via triggers - the most simple of those will just create a "dummy" unit, and have that dummy unit cast a 2nd spell (such as a heal or firebolt, depending on the target), while you have your hero cast a "dummy spell" that can target both themselves and an enemy (such as Channel)

the chain-hex is a bit more complicated, as it would involve a loop to go from target to target, but the same general idea applies - have the hero cast hex on a target, then have a trigger that runs when the spell is cast, create a dummy, find a nearby enemy, and have the dummy cast hex on the nearby enemy, then call the trigger again when the dummy casts hex, and so on, with some sort of counter that counts the number of hexes, possibly with some special effect that "links" the previous target with the current target

I suggest you look over these tutorials as as start:
Channel
trigger-enhanced spells
MUI spells
memory leaks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.