We need a delete bUTTON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
in case we make a bubu like FLAME and meant to delete and post any way or just accidentally Double post
and i dont think "stfu and get used to it" helps ether
i just wanted to say this cause i see that feature alot just not here :(
---------edit------
i remeber why i said this is cause when i make a thread asking for such an such then i figure it out

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
The ultimate reason we don't allow members to delete their posts by default is that we don't want people getting mad at the site and deleting all of their content, or something similar.

If you want something deleted, just report the post(s) and someone will come along eventually and get rid of it.

Alternately, if you "accidentally" ( :p ) flamed someone, use the edit button.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
oh wow i didnt think about it that way with the deleting all there content but then if they were hell bent at doing that they could edit all there post into null

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
The ultimate reason we don't allow members to delete their posts by default is that we don't want people getting mad at the site and deleting all of their content, or something similar.

If you want something deleted, just report the post(s) and someone will come along eventually and get rid of it.

Alternately, if you "accidentally" ( :p ) flamed someone, use the edit button.

But can't they just edit out all their content? Does the same thing. Out of curiosity, has anyone does that before, on this site?

But I do agree though, there is no need for a delete post. Editing kinda does the same thing, plus you get a free +1 post :thup:

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
In general, sites on the Internet live from content.
Given we're a forum site, our content is posts.
With the posts gone, we might just as well close.

And, yes, every now and then some member goes postal.
He got some -rep for example, and can't handle it... happens all the time.
It will pass. Or he will pass...

Regardless, there was no, there is no and there won't be a generally available delete button.

And, no, it's not "not at this time". This one is final. It won't happen. Ever.

Reaction score
Can't users delete their post in the first few minutes after they've posted it?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why don't you just check if the last post was made by you before you post it?
With quick reply, just scroll up.
With the 'advanced' reply, scroll down.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
I find that the delete post button isn't necessary though...

Just say that it's an accidental double post (or remove any offensive words against a person, or anything bad you've typed), and try not to do it again, just learn from your mistakes.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Why don't you just check if the last post was made by you before you post it?
With quick reply, just scroll up.
With the 'advanced' reply, scroll down.

Double posting occurs when the user mistakenly double-clicks the submit button or refreshes the message page after the posting. Usually, this happens to users with slow Internet connections :p.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Its really not a user going back and deleting all their posts that is the problem since someone could realistically edit out everything they ever posted. It is the fact that if someone starts a thread and they delete that starting post it deletes the whole thread. That is why regular users dont have a delete button.

If I am not mistaken though, after 100 rep you ARE allowed to delete your own threads

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Letting you know, that if the "bubu" happens in the World Editor Help forum, then you can, at least, PM me to clean up the mess.

Though, just be sensible. I won't rush to redo everything.

Plus, there is the report button...

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken though, after 100 rep you ARE allowed to delete your own threads

I think you are allowed to delete your own posts, but not your own threads. I have however just seen a "lock thread after posting button".

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
If you delete post 1, you delete that whole thread. So by being able to delete posts, you can delete threads [you started].

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
Ah, now it makes more sense. I've seen some forums that don't delete the whole thread if the first poster deletes his post, though it usually makes the second poster looks stupid.

CaptDeath

Reaction score
now what about editing the threads title cause like a first poster in the worldeditor forums may have a "retard" title like HELP ME NAO!
and theres no way of changing it so if you call it one thing but think of a better/more appopriate title you cant change it

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If admins/mods see it they sometimes change them if they are bad.

I think changing your own titles would be cool, although you can just request a title change.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I've really never seen why we're against this option. If it's abused, we take it away.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I've really never seen why we're against this option. If it's abused, we take it away.

Not to mention any mod of that section, super mod or Admin could easily change the title in less then a second really and undeleting a post and thread (with soft-deletes) takes no time ether >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.