What files can a DVD Player read?

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
Okay, I burnt an AVI file to a DVD. Haven't tested it yet but according to my cousine it won't work on a standard DVD-Player. What file format should I convert it into instead?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I think you would need an iso of a dvd.. that contains a .IFO and .VOB files.. or you could just use a program to make a dvd out of an AVI file, something like dvdstyler

Draphoelix

Reaction score
Okey, I think I'll convert the AVI file then.

But I got a few options:
MPEG-2 SVCD (NTSC)
MPEG-2 SVCD (PAL)
MPEG-2 DVD (NTSC)
MPEG-2 DVD (PAL)

Which one should I use?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
PAL is generally used in Europe while NTSC is used in the U.S, and SVCD is for CD's (super video CD), while DVD is used for DVD's - DVD's generally store about x5 as much as a CD, and it should say on the disk your burning if it's a CD or a DVD

Draphoelix

Reaction score
Guess it'll be DVD(PAL) then.

By the way, most DVD-Players don't support AVI, but there are? Are those more expensive or what?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't know, it really depends - the xbox 360 and ps3 can play media like an avi file off of a cd/dvd, but it still depends on the avi - avi is just a container for sound track(s) and video track(s) and maybe subtitle track(s) - the encoding on those (like mpeg2) determines what can play it and what can't - i would guess there are some dvd players that can do this as well, but it's not a "marketed feature" that you will find easily

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.