What unit for a Dummy Caster?

Advena

Just casually observing atm ;)
Reaction score
Hi!
I've had some problems lately, with many of my triggered abilities.
It turned out it was only the ones using a dummy caster.

After some more extensive troubleshooting I realised the problem was a combination of me using a model that didn't like casting spells (unit was based on mountain king tho) and that I had scaled it too small to let any effects show. For example; when casting War Stomp with the dummy caster the terrain ripple came, but not the effect-glow, damage or stun or anything. Very weird.. :nuts:

I tried changing it back to a regular mountain king, and it worked perfectly as intended. It looks kinda crappy having a mountain king standing around casting all your spells tho :p
He already have Permanent Invisibility and Locust, but if I need to make him owned by the (owner of (casting unit)), that doesn't help :(

So, what unit do you guys generally use for making your casting dummy (and how do you edit it)?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> even though it's normally based on Footman

My personal preference goes to an Albatross, flying at ground level.
Mostly for pathing reasons. Flying units have less restrictions.

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I modified the default footman, locust, no pathing, negative hp regeneration, flying, hide minimap display, no attacks enabled, doesn't resurrect doesn't decay, .mdl model (or .mdx, don't remember)

If you work with gui, it saves you a click in the trigger editor :p

Advena

Reaction score
So you'd all say it's better to use a unit and not a hero?
I was always under the illusion that abilities worked better if not transformed between hero/not-hero mode, and obviously units can't cast hero abilities. :eek:

I'll try remaking my dummy from scratch, thanks for the help guys :thup:

Edit: "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours. Try again later."
hehe, oops :p
I don't forget to rep those who help me, it'll just have to wait it seems ;)

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with using a hero, they just require more modification, and you have to deal with the
<name> the level 1 <type> has fallen
:p

Only situations where I can see a hero being needed is if you have a triggered Multi-Shot ability for a hero, and want to get as close to the hero's damage as possible

Advena

Reaction score
I'm basing my new dummy on a peasant (with flying and all that), but I'll remember that if I ever try making a multi-shot ability.
Thanks mate :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.