What's your idea on this finding?

Reaction score
I enjoy the nature. I always did.

Now, some time back and then, I've found this interesting piece of flint on the edge of a lanslide I've found something strange about. Took it with me and forgot.

And now, taking into ccount the very small chance that there might be some historicians/archeologists here, I bring this Spear/Arrow head likepiece of flint.

Tell me what you think this might be before I take it to the museum.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 187

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Cool find man that's just black obsidian though. It comes naturally like that due to the cleavage points. It is one of the primary materials that Indians use to make their arrow and spear heads from. It's created from cooled lava flows. It's not worth much, but it's not of no value. No need to take it to the museum, but it is cool to keep for yourself. Many rock collectors would keep it, I would especially if I found it. I've found a few over the years, one piece was red (Ooooh). I've also found me an actual genuine arrow head before. Good find you got there. :)

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I would make myself a small knife. Not for bullying purposes or anything, just to make it look cool. Probably make it out of wood around there :D

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
looks worked on, try taking it to museam see what they say

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
looks worked on, try taking it to museam see what they say

Don't wast your time man, I know exactly what that is, please see my above post in this thread. I know what I am talking about, I myself am an avid rock hound. It looks worked on because of obsidian's natural cleavage lines.

esb

Reaction score
Yes, obsidian rocks looke like that, but it's natural :D Unless they were attached to something else, THEN it would be worked on :D

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
Yes, obsidian rocks looke like that, but it's natural :D Unless they were attached to something else, THEN it would be worked on :D

Actually, then it would still just be a piece of un-worked obsidian attached to a stick.

esb

Reaction score
lol, True, but if someone (at least if I was) making something like an arrow or knife, I would try to make it sharper and smoother.

Reaction score
To be honest, it's really sharp, I tried cutting somethign with it. Well, althrough somewhat deformed, I managed to get a slice of cake using this thing.

As for the Cleavage, well, it doesn't seem too natural for me, as only one edge is formed nicely, the other one seems crumbled, also, the "reddish spots" on the sharper edge of this rock seems interesting.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
well... from what i can see...

there's something unusual about the edges... something unatural.

naturally, i think that there would be NO color differential if the cut was due to cleavage.

but in the pics, theres somewhat a lighter shade on the edges.

Rad

Reaction score
I've seen black obsidian before, its quite awesome. You can break pieces off which can be incredibly sharp without sharpening it. At least, if its the same type of rock as I'm thinking of. The picture doesn't really look like it but its not very clear either. Found a big block of it when I was younger and tried making spears/arrows and such. Good times :p

Speaking of rocks, what are those round rocks that form purple crystals inside called? I found one of those in the creek behind my house when I was 8 or 9. Almost perfectly round, broke it open and had a good portion of this white to dark purple crystal inside.

Don't remember what those were called, but those are awesome!

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I've seen black obsidian before, its quite awesome. You can break pieces off which can be incredibly sharp without sharpening it. At least, if its the same type of rock as I'm thinking of. The picture doesn't really look like it but its not very clear either. Found a big block of it when I was younger and tried making spears/arrows and such. Good times :p

Speaking of rocks, what are those round rocks that form purple crystals inside called? I found one of those in the creek behind my house when I was 8 or 9. Almost perfectly round, broke it open and had a good portion of this white to dark purple crystal inside.

Don't remember what those were called, but those are awesome!

Well If there’s just agate inside those are called Thunder Eggs, but when crystals form like what you are referring to in a cavity they are referred to as geodes. If crystals form all the way through then they call them nodules. That one that you describe is most likely an amethyst geode with either some impurity or else with a smoky quarts mix in it. Good find to you, post a pic if you can, and I can tell you what it is exactly and how much it might be worth, though it should be worth more to you because you found it. Relatively speaking only truly impressive specimens are worth anything so it’s better to just keep them for your own enjoyment and nostalgia.

To be honest, it's really sharp, I tried cutting somethign with it. Well, althrough somewhat deformed, I managed to get a slice of cake using this thing. .

That’s awesome, how barbaric, erm sept for the cake part, but you could just beat your chest to try and make up for that...or go kill something with it...ARG!!! :D:D:D

As for the Cleavage, well, it doesn't seem too natural for me, as only one edge is formed nicely, the other one seems crumbled, also, the "reddish spots" on the sharper edge of this rock seems interesting.

That is naturally how that rock cleaves and it doesn’t always have a consistence cleavage as some parts may have cooled with more or less oxygen or other elements when forming. Also the red is normal to. If you are concerned take a better picture, in good lighting and up close, from at least 5 different angles and post that because it will still be less trouble then taking it somewhere and I can already tell you I am 99.9% sure of what you got there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.