Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
279795834.png

Now I'd be interested in who ran that speedtest. :rolleyes:

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
279876671.png

I have an oddly high upload speed.. and a lot of you just got beat by a mac.

AceHart, do you mind telling us what you run?

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Just a bit of trivia:

Did you guys know that the upload speed isn't actually slower for technical reasons but because the providers fear that otherwise everybody would be uploading masses of data. They limit it because they want to and not because thats the technical limit. There are some providers which give you the same upload/download speed.

The one from my slow internet computer:

I've posted this on the forum already, no idea why the internet in this room is about a twentieth of the normal speed, the wireless actually shoudn't limit it( The other oc is hooked uo via cable)

enouwee

Reaction score
Just a bit of trivia:

Did you guys know that the upload speed isn't actually slower for technical reasons but because the providers fear that otherwise everybody would be uploading masses of data. They limit it because they want to and not because thats the technical limit. There are some providers which give you the same upload/download speed.

That isn't exactly true. It is both a technical compromise as well as a choice based on common usage.

Since the 56K modems, upload and download speeds have been asymetric, biased to what the customer needs most: downstream.

The better the signal strength, the higher the obtainable speeds. Your modem/router uses a weaker signal than i.e. the DSLAM, which is why the upstream is both located in the lower frequencies (requires less power) and only occupies a narrow spectrum, compared to the downstream (requires more power).

With higher speeds, the reflections (overspeak) increase and one customer interfers with another one's line when the copper cables are located close to each other. Thus, the infrastructure either requires cables with better shielding or is replaced by an optical connection.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Now I'd be interested in who ran that speedtest. :rolleyes:

me of course just at my dad's com, he live in a appartment where they have this amazing offer for only 16$/20£ because alot of people bought it.

the only bad thing about it is that i can't open a port :banghead:

enouwee

Reaction score
By looking at the values again, they aren't that impressive anymore (Kbit, not KByte)... I almost thought someone threw a Gbit connection (OC24?) at SpeedTest.com

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Somehow, people never seems to laugh at mine, having the worst upload speed ever nearest in my vicinity. :(

Oh well, what do people buy these days? Optic fibers?

Reaction score
Optic Cables you mean?

My family pays $50 for my internet speed which is like 5mb download speed and 512k upload, maybe We are getting ripped off?

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score

Best ping! :p

And Cologne soon will get fiber glass connections with up to 100 Mbit/s. ;)

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
... my connection is crappy...

Use Singapore Server to test your speed... Philippines is crappy..
I know this site even before it was posted here.

My speed using Singapore Server

My speed using Philippines Server

I'm testing out other servers to see if it improves

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
> How much are you guys paying for your internet connection?

About the GNP of your average under-developed country...
Which is somewhat $2 every month? Mom said she paid the least price she can find, $2, and can still match up a connection speed of 1 gigabit per second in Indianapolis.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
prepare for the most awesome-est internet connection speed ever.

gprs speed, no 3G signal.

283913431.png

i cant even imagine my 'net speed when i'll be using my wap connection on my phone as a modem... maybe 30 kbps...

this really really sucks. it will be the connection i'll be using w/o 3G or WiFi.

w/ a 3G signal, i recall having 50kbps dL speed w/o a download accelerator.
but sometimes, wierdly, my phone catches a 3g signal while at the boarding house...
then the signal disappears mysteriously after some hours.

but i think i can live with this... as long as i have 'net access.
-
original speed using our LAN at our house
278703589.png

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.