When in an entirely empty C++ project, what should I start off with?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
By entirely empty C++ project, I meant nothing exists in this project. Like a recently made new folder.

So, if I were to put:

#include <stdio.h> (or #include "stdio.h")

and then a simple Hello World program, it won't complie.

---------------------------------------------

I'm pretty new to C++, so I don't know where to start. Searching in MSDN for stdio.h is kinda hard to find (I admit I'm not good at this...totally). Searched in Wikipedia, but it gives me what stdio.h contains, but can't tell those that were common in usage.

Even if I were to copy/paste everything from a pre-existing stdio.h, it still complies incorrectly, because the header itself contains other headers, which I can't understand quite correctly.

In short, it's made into a loop of non-existing headers...

So, where should I start off with?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
May I have the Simple English definition for it?

And just by putting an #include at the top, does it mean that the compiler just does the rest without adding/needing a file?

Reaction score
The standard library headers, including both cstdio and stdio.h, should come with your compiler. If you can't include either file, it is possible that they have been deleted or are (for some reason) not in your include path. What compiler are you using?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
The compiler I was using 6 hours ago is currently not on this laptop. It's on a desktop computer in a classroom at college.

LocalDude

Reaction score
Hi if you have problems with your compiler you can try dev c++ it works great for me:).
when you make a program you will need to include "#include<iostream>" and if this is your first ones I suggest you use the "using namespace std;" this one tells the program to use the standard library so that you don´t have to tell it every time your going to use a function.
Then you will need the main function "int main(void){" after that you are fre to write your program but don´t forget to put "}" at the end of the program.
hope it helps.
LocalDude

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I see. Is there other alternatives? I find that there are many ways you can start off with in a program.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Not to be rude or anything but isn't what you start out with based on what you want to do? (No sarcasm intended)

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to be rude or anything but isn't what you start out with based on what you want to do? (No sarcasm intended)
I thought in C++, if you start off with a different header, it means that the .cpp file isn't very important.

Since I have gotten used to reading beginner C#, I always thought C++ have some reference files...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.