Which should I buy?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Did you think that he's already waited 3 months? He said he wants to buy now so showing him things he cant afford isnt really helping anything. In 3 months, better technology will be right around the corner yet again, would you suggest for him to continue waiting to no end?

As for the built in GPU, it wont be consuming power if its not used, but im assuming he'd be able to disable his dedicated card and run off the onboard at times when he doesnt need it and conserve battery.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
There is absolutely NO reason to by SSD computers for home use. NOTHING that you will be doing with a home computer, and yes that means gaming as well, will require the speed an SSD will give over and SATA. Sata is plenty fast for gaming, email, internet, text documents, ect. SDD setups are for people doing lots of work, such as companies.

Please don't suggest things that are completely unnecessary to home-use, and face it, SDD is useless for home setups at the current point in time.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Obviously he wants a dedicated video card seen in his first post, and this technology obviously costs more while it isn't used. Good to know, I give you that.
Yes, these posts are simply here to provide additional interesting information that might be helpful overall. That, and to correct mistakes or fill in missing information.

Also a processor can be titled any way people want, hyperthreaded, tripple ownage mega memory connection, but in the end it's all about the benchmarks.
In the end, though, it doesn't matter what the technologies and features of the CPU are called; such features exist and are relevant, and have tangible benefits for certain workloads, which will be reflected in the benchmarks (if the benchmarks themselves are relevant and comprehensive).

Finally, I'm not here to compete with you, so please don't take offense at what I say. It is not meant that way at all. I'm just here to help. :) Much apologies if the previous posts came across the wrong way.

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
Did you think that he's already waited 3 months?
That's not what I said.

He said he wants to buy now so showing him things he cant afford isnt really helping anything. In 3 months, better technology will be right around the corner yet again, would you suggest for him to continue waiting to no end?
I cannot disagree with that, better technology will come and go. But you don't understand that this is a new ara for laptops, LED screens, SSD drives all things that consume lesser energy than all the older parts which helps to increase the battery time of a laptop. Not only that, LED screens have a better update rate than the traditional LCD screens and where SSD are 30 / 40 times faster than the traditional 5400 rpm drives.

As for the built in GPU, it wont be consuming power if its not used, but im assuming he'd be able to disable his dedicated card and run off the onboard at times when he doesnt need it and conserve battery.
That's not what I said. Even though you won't use it you still pay for that extra feature. But hopefully companies are smart enough to not add that processor to a laptop with a dedicated video card.

There is absolutely NO reason to by SSD computers for home use. NOTHING that you will be doing with a home computer, and yes that means gaming as well, will require the speed an SSD will give over and SATA. Sata is plenty fast for gaming, email, internet, text documents, ect. SDD setups are for people doing lots of work, such as companies.

Please don't suggest things that are completely unnecessary to home-use, and face it, SDD is useless for home setups at the current point in time.
You seriously have no clue what you are talking about, everything you say is in fact in reverse.

• Companies have better things to finance than small expensive hard drives which really is of no use to them. They'd rather have capacity than speed because the maximum transfer rate over a common network of 100mbps is about 12.5 mb per second ( counting the loss ) depending on the length of the cat-5 ( generally used in companies ) UTP cable. This speed a common hard drive can easily handle. Even Google's choice is to continue to use the magmatic drive until the time is right again.
  • Do you even know how slow the access time of a rpm hd is in comparison to SSD's? In fact the SSD's are perfect for home use, from loading up Windows and running applications. Do you even know how much programs use file system objects in order to operate? With rpm hd's it is usually the processor waiting for data to arrive from the hard disk.
  • SATA is just a controller and only SSD's make use of their maximum speed. Even with USB 3.0 coming out, I can't think of any device from the top of my head that would even use the speed the controller provides. Having a SATA II controller doesn't influence the actually speed of the attached device.

Knowing all this, can you see why laptops are generally slower than desktop PC's? Yes, the laptops CPU disables a few cores so now and than to conserve power, but it was always the HD making the laptop really slow. In the past having a 7200 rpm hard disk ate the battery in no time, manufactures where pushed to cut the power requirements on the hard disk in order to increase battery time. Why do you think RAID striped even exists? It's another way to increase the access time of rpm hd's.

And what now, SSD's, fast access time and low power consumption? Why on earth do people think these drives are so expensive? EVERYBODY wants them, except for "DDRtists" that is, living in the classy world. :p

Finally, I'm not here to compete with you, so please don't take offense at what I say. It is not meant that way at all. I'm just here to help. :) Much apologies if the previous posts came across the wrong way.
Certainly not, you come with facts and good information. You even corrected me, how can that even be offending?

And for the rest, I'm done with this topic. I'm trying to help someone out and most of you guys contradict everything I say, or even come with bullshit to come with reason for your blind statements. Surely I was wrong about the AMD processor in the first few posts, but I have better things to do than continuously track the development of technology. All I'm saying is that the SSD's are worth the few extra bucks in order to make the most of your laptop for the time being. I gave reason and that's the best I can do, It's up to you guys what you do with this information.

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
I ended up getting the ASUS G72GX. It was a bit over my budget. But that doesnt matter too much now. Thank you everyone.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you mean this one for $1000? I thought that was within your budget, or maybe I saw the wrong laptop (I don't see a link in this thread..)

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
This one. And so far I can play anything I throw at it. Even with maxed everything in the settings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.