Why are Jass better then WE

DKigorDK

Reaction score
Hey in this forum i can truly call myself a newbie, but my question is why are Jass that much better then GUI.

cos you are bound by the same rules, with the (Event, Condition, Action)

plz help me out, cos in the near featur I will be starting on making an RPG, i have over 2 years experience with WE, but none with Jass.

so my problem is, GUI or Jass for the Triggers?

:)

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
WE is the program, JASS and GUI is the scripts, GUI is the normal one .. JASS is that custom language/script .. I think. JASS is always better (I heard). But well I prefer GUI, easiest to learn and simplier. But if I got time I would like to learn JASS. Nothing is wrong with GUI.

Read tutorials to know what JASS is and why it's "better".

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
JASS is better.
By WE, you mean GUI.

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
jass is the script language of warcraft, gui is just an interface for jass to make it usable for newbies. Jass is not always better but there are many points why to prefer jass..... i wont list them all here but heres a short overview:

you can use local variables
since GUI uses some functions which only call different functions which do the same your coding in Jass can be much more efficent than in GUI - if you are a good coder...

for more points, i think there is a tutorial (or many) on this site which tells you the good and bad sides of jass...

Knight7770

Reaction score
for more points, i think there is a tutorial (or many) on this site which tells you the good and bad sides of jass...
I wouldn't bother with all of those; either learn JASS, or don't. If you already know a programming language, JASS will be even easier.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
so my problem is, GUI or Jass for the Triggers?

Well, do you want to spend some time learning how to code in JASS, or do you just wanna get straight to work (assuming you already know GUI to some extent). If you have little/no experience with either, you should just go straight to JASS.

1) JASS is faster than GUI (unless you go out of your way and code everything badly)

2) It allows you to utilise systems more easily (and there are many more systems to use) i.e. with a JASS system, you can just do
JASS:
call MyFunction (something, somethingelse)
//For example

With GUI you would probably have to change a crapload of things to get it to work the way you want it to (and even then it would be limited)

3) Leak removal is easier in JASS since GUI doesn't have actions specifically for removing leaks, you have to add them via individual custom scripts (which is annoying since you have to go through the GUI action list everytime :p)

4) Much easier to make stuff MUI using local variables and (if you have NewGen WE) structs and struct attachment systems.

@Knight: You wouldn't bother with all of those... what? The tutorials?

DKigorDK

Reaction score
Yeah i read some of the tutorial of Jass is better then GUI.

but in witch way, is it more easy to combined you systems in to each other (item drop, boss trigger, skill trigger, save-load system and evt.)

or is it easyer to make the unit do what you want ( im talking about, when you are trying to locate a unit you need to set and value on af it has been summon by on boss, after that it splits and then you will locate the same unit in the trigger)

hope you understand the last part of what i was trying to say :p

Reaction score
cos you are bound by the same rules, with the (Event, Condition, Action)

This is false.

Anyway, Jass is better in every way. A GUI user is simply someone who is yet to learn Jass. That's about as far as the discussion needs to go.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
but in witch way, is it more easy to combined you systems in to each other (item drop, boss trigger, skill trigger, save-load system and evt.)

In pretty much every way, since with JASS you can create your own systems for those things (or use a system that another person has made publicly available), and make it very easy to customize to your needs.

You could probably do some of those things in GUI but it would be much harder to customise to your specific needs

hope you understand the last part of what i was trying to say
No, I don't really understand what you're trying to say :p

Knight7770

Reaction score
@Knight: You wouldn't bother with all of those... what? The tutorials?
The so-called tutorials that are supposed to tell you the good and bad sides of JASS, but they really just turn into a large argument. We all know that JASS is almost always better than GUI if you take the time to learn it.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
The so-called tutorials that are supposed to tell you the good and bad sides of JASS, but they really just turn into a large argument. We all know that JASS is almost always better than GUI if you take the time to learn it.

But, in comparison to GUI, there aren't any down-sides to JASS that spring to mind.

-ALMOST- always better? Care to explain how GUI can be better than JASS (apart from the fact that you can't really get syntax errors in GUI code :p)

And why do you have to take the time to learn JASS to acknowledge how much better it is? All you have to do is look at the forum to figure that much out (and TheDamien's post :p)

NewGen WE? you mean World editor?

NewGen WE is a modified World Editor which has -ALOT- more functionality than the original (alot of additions which make JASS much easier to use, along with other things like merging object/trigger editor data with another map, and alot of features relating to terrain/tilesets). Take a look at the NewGen thread in this sub-forum :)

DKigorDK

Reaction score
so let me get this clean, the best way, with the most opportunities is to get NewGen WE to do the terrain and all the other things
, and make my triggers from jass.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.