Willing to Answer Questions About the Beta!

Gwypaas

hook DoNothing MakeGUIUsersCrash
Reaction score
You'll have to wait for the full retailed version that will be sold very late of this year in order to find out.

The beta doesn't include the Galaxy editor.

But you can still browse the maps in a MPQ editor and edit them, but Blizzard left out most of custom.galaxy so you can't really do alot.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
i have a question about your system specs, DX11 on an nvidia 9800 GT?

also, does SC2 cap your screen resolution (wc3 caps it at 1600 x 1200)

P.S. - it's not just macs, you can't upgrade the graphics in pretty much all laptops

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
P.S. - it's not just macs, you can't upgrade the graphics in pretty much all laptops

I'm aware of that, but the desktop in my family's house is about 6 years old (my dad is a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix/replace it.")

I just want to now if the game looks really bad on Medium teture settings, because that would be disappointing. I'm getting the game regardless, and I'll just get a new desktop PC in about a year, when I'm out of college and making some real money.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
I just want to now if the game looks really bad on Medium teture settings, because that would be disappointing. I'm getting the game regardless, and I'll just get a new desktop PC in about a year, when I'm out of college and making some real money.

I'm quite sure it will still look great. Even some basic shading and texture would look nice as they upgraded their models from previous games like wc3.

RedOrb

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
How the game runs..

I don't have beta, but I did set it up to run replays. I have an 8-core i7 processor with 4gb ram, and NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250. The game cannot run well while running wow at the same time, but alone, it runs fairly well. It doesn't run flawlessly though! At times, you can notice some very tiny slows or drops in FPS (Running with Ultra settings). I may have something configured wrongly.. Or maybe it's because I'm running 32-bit win7. Not all sure..

RedOrb

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
My experience is that if it is not running at highest settings, you are missing something big... :'( I hate to say that..

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
My experience is that if it is not running at highest settings, you are missing something big... :'( I hate to say that..

From the gameplay videos I have seen of SC2 beta I'm not impressed by the graphics. It probably looks better when playing, though. Or maybe it's just me.
Anyway. I am hoping that; since it's still just a beta version, the graphics (and performance) will improve greatly for the full version.

You should've edited your old post, instead of posting a new one, btw.

OnTopic:
I heard ATI made a deal with Blizzard. -Does SC2 beta support DX11? (Will SC2 support DX11?)

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
A question I have on my mind for quite some time already:

When you're just at the loading screen and some dude sends you a message, will you still get it (and be able to reply to it during loading)?
In WC3 that was quite a bother.. but with the new chat windows in SC2 I hope that's finally out of the world.

Thanks for answering all the questions! :D

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Do you have AI ?
You can play against AI but only set to "very easy" - so basically they just build a couple of units and 1 of each building. Not a real threat.

With all the balance changes made during beta it's probably hard for them to make a serious AI without redesigning it every time. Plus, they want people to be playing multiplayer.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
New questions:
-Does the game feel balanced so far?

-Can you use all the buildings and units in the beta, or are some restricted?

-Any sight of that special breed of protoss/zerg mixture that was mentioned in Zeratul's special mission in Brood Wars? :p

-Have you seen any heroes yet?

No. They are issuing a lot of changes every couple of days. There was a popular strategy (still popular by some) called M&M, Marines and Marauders that was quite powerful. I still think Muta's are very overpowered. Being able to mass them, no other race has a proper way of disposing of a huge amount of them (30+). I can try getting archons with Protoss, but a good player will just kite around the Archon. The air units to counter with are awful as protoss. A good player will send all his mutas to attack a carrier directly, killing it very fast. The Phoenix is next to useless and the ray is just as bad unless you have an equal number. There is no splash damage between any of them. There are a bunch of protoss strategies that are very cheap but I use them so I won't talk about them! It's not like one team has a HUGE landslide advantage over another but they still have a lot of tweaking to do.

Yes

No

No

Hmmm... what is your FPS if you can check wwhen you play the game? Do you get a drop even in a battle with lots and lots of effects?
You can't check directly, that I know of. FRAPs shows that I'm getting around 180 though. I have a beastly computer though.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I like that they put this in there for people like me who really suck at strategy games but still love to play them. :p
screenshotlv.jpg
How do you take screen shots? Prnt scrn shows a black image for me.
Btw, everything is COMPLETELY maxed, even the EXTREME settings which are possible and it runs flawlessly for me, so anyone with a similar set up, don't worry!

Cure 2 Duo 3.00 E8400
4 GB RAM
4890 RADEON HD
Windows 7 64bit

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Btw, everything is COMPLETELY maxed, even the EXTREME settings which are possible and it runs flawlessly for me, so anyone with a similar set up, don't worry!

Cure 2 Duo 3.00 E8400
4 GB RAM
4890 RADEON HD
Windows 7 64bit

Yay, I reckon I should be able to run maxed settings :)

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Lol.

Core 2 Duo 2.50ghZ E5200
Geforce 7100 128 Integrated MB
1.87 GB RAM
Windows 7 32 Bit

GG.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series 4.00GB RAM
Windows 7 32Bit

Ultra lags, enough for me to not run on ultra, high is just fine.
I have nearly the same setting as you sqrage, why can't it run ultra?

Exide

Reaction score
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series 4.00GB RAM
Windows 7 32Bit

Ultra lags, enough for me to not run on ultra, high is just fine.
I have nearly the same setting as you sqrage, why can't it run ultra?

You're not even near sqrage's setting.
The biggest difference is the video card. His is great, yours is not. Sorry.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What exide said and Core 2 Duo runs much better than Pentiums without even taking into consideration the higher frequency.

Btw, as I've been playing I do get an occasional stutter at times, like when a Mothership spawns or when it casts Vortex. I'm not sure if that's something that will be adjusted through the beta before the final release or it's something on my end but I'm hoping for the former.

Exide

Reaction score
Btw, as I've been playing I do get an occasional stutter at times, like when a Mothership spawns or when it casts Vortex. I'm not sure if that's something that will be adjusted through the beta before the final release or it's something on my end but I'm hoping for the former.

Might be abilities that aren't preloaded properly? :p

Exide

Reaction score
Is there a way to fix it? Like, overclocking or something?

Updating your graphic drivers might give you a slight performance boost.

Overclocking does help somewhat.
However, by the looks of it you're using a laptop.
Laptops are known to have problem with heat, since they are so compact and don't have any airflow. Adding the extra heat from overclocking on top of that is not a very good idea.
Conclusion: the few extra hertz you would get out of overclocking (without risking overheating) wouldn't make a big difference and wouldn't be worth it.

You're gonna need better hardware, or lower graphics settings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.