Would this be fun?

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Hmmm, I was thinking about making a zombie survival map.
In the map, you wouldnt see your survivor from above, but from the back.

You would team up with a couple of other villagers and try to survive in the fresh ruins of a wrecked village, filled with zombies.
You would be able to grab hold of anything you find, shovels, pitchforks, and fight those zombies for as long as you can.

You would eventually learn the large terrain and be able to use it to your advantage (what is harder when you see it from behind, than when you see it from above), find secret miniquests and complete them, or find drivable catapults you could use to make a getaway and run over the zombies.

Would it be fun?

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Generally I hate first person cameras in Warcraft, it makes things so confusing. But that's just my opinion.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I think it sounds awesome and amazing.
I'd play it.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I too, hate first person cameras in warcraft. Why? Because of the movement. It's very hard to click-to-move the unit, especially when there's cliffs, etc. Turning around, pain too, as the ground that seems close is actually far away. Also, sometimes the movement AI acts weird and decides to make the unit take a longer route, or not a straight line.
Arrow key movements would be better, but are often a bit laggy (laggy enough to be noticed, and in a zombie survival map, probably even get you killed)

What you could do, is somehow set the camera bounds so that the unit is the only thing you see. Example:
Code:
|                |
|____X__Z__|
X = Your unit/marine/zombie killa
Z = Zombie/Enemy/Monster

So, in the screen, you have the regular 3rd person view, but with camera bounds you can set it so you can't see behind your unit.
But, come to think of it, it would be hard looking at other directions (NE, SW, West, etc.)

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Its suposed to be quite hard to look, to make zombies pop up at unexpected moments from places you cannot see well.
But if I made the camera from behind, not to close, and a little bit up so its easyer to click, would it work?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I would invest in to a well-done keymovement system.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
If it was done very, very, very well it could be lots of fun, other wise it would be more work than its worth.

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Keyboard system would be awesome (not really noobfriendly, but awesome).
I have no idea how to do it though. Any guides around?

The very well done part is no problem :D
Since the controll system is kinda what the succes of this game depends on, lots of time will be put into it.
Plus, if i even manage to complete the map, I can let people on the forum take a look at it, judge it, and maybe fix it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.