WoW ... no, not simply the 'next one'

the Immortal

I know, I know...
Reaction score
Introduction

I suppose your first reaction when you see the topic will be something like "WADAFAAAAK, no, not the next one !!!" ... well, lemme explain you my idea and my PoV

I've played at least 3 open RPGs with the name 'WoW' ... and the thing that is obvious for me is that even a map with 256x256 size just isn't enough. And even if you separate it to 2 different maps ... well, 12 people playing in one continent sounds strange. After realizing all that, it seemed almost impossible to make WoW 'copy' in Warcraft III.

But then the following idea came to my mind. When 12 people aren't enough to populate one real-sized world (and I want a real-sized world) ... then the only chance left for me is to make instances + battlegrounds. And here's my idea in details:

Features

- There will be different maps for the different instances and battlegrounds (the battlegrounds may be at one map ... we'll see)

- When playing for a first time you choose your hero and begin playing directly at 70 level. If you have a previous hero, you load it using a save code.

- There will be 3rd person camera and arrow-buttons movement... almost as in WoW (it's impossible to use WASD and mouse for moving in WC3 afaik)

How? Easy, I think there are many maps using these buttons for movement.

- You will have your class' ~10 most important abilities, usable by pressing the numbers' buttons (just as in WoW)
How? In the start of the game you are taken to ~10 dummy units representing your skills / spells. By selecting em and pressing Shift + [n] you choose the hotkey for the ability. When one of these units is selected, your target is reselected instantly and your character begins casting the spell. Simple

- You will have access to Full-Screen inventory with ~10-15 equipped items and 20 in backpack.
How? Using FSGUI as a base I am working on a similar inventory system that suits my needs.

- The basic abilities / stats system will be changed. Every unit will have chance to crit, dodge, parry, block (only with shield). Stats will affect these skills directly, just as in WoW.
How? By creating abilities with ~100 levels each ... 1st level is 0.5%, 2nd is 1% and so on ... and then adjusting their levels as needed

- There will be all 70 lvl items with stats equal to these in WoW, becoming soulbond as needed and so on.
How? Simple x) Using Atlas (an Addon for WoW) you can see the possible loot from all instances.

- There will be tactics for the bosses, similar to these in WoW and the mobs / bosses will have aggro, too.
How? Triggering spell casts and phases, and keeping each person's aggro with HandleVars attached to each monster.

- There will be a reputation and honor system ... basically when doing dungeons your reputation with specific faction will raise and will unlock access to EPIXX. When you play battlegrounds, you will get honor points and you can exchange em for EPIXXXXXXXX ... or rare items x)
How? By saving 5-6 more integers in the save-code and increasing them when a hero / mob is killed.

- There will be talents for every class. Probably 3 trees with 12 talents for each one ... again the 12 most important talents from each tree.

How? Using spellbooks + dummy abilites

- I will make the systems (as I call em) in a blank map. After that I will make the different dungeons and will post both the finished them and the blank map ... so people can make their maps and mods and eventually learn something from the maps.
How? Should be easy compared to the other things ^^

Looks hawt, don't ye think so? :) I feel I've missed something but I will add it when (if) I remember what was it.

Other

Now, you see this is a HUGE project. But it's aiming on maximal similarity with the original game .. that's why the chances I will ever finish it aren't big ... and I'm just beginning work on it. So I'm 'recruiting' skilled JASS-ers (since most of the map should be in JASS) to work with me. This won't be 'Ixtreon's project with the help of XX, YY and ZZ' but an 'Ixtreon's, XXs, YYs and ZZs project'

What have I done till now? Almost nothing except movement system ... but I have this idea from months and I feel that if I don't post it here, I will never finish it.

Possible problems that come to my mind:
- Saving 30 items, 36 talent choises and many more data will make the save strings ... HUGE

Now I'm working on: Full Screen Inventory

LFM
- Someone to begin working on Aggro, ability / skill cast and targeting systems (and for further scripting of bosses) with me.
(should be a skilled JASS-er)
- Someone to begin working on items, talents, skills and heroes (exporting them from WoW)
(will be good if has original WoW and perfect understanding of Object Editor)
- Probably someone for something else, we'll see x)

Well, that was it. Comment, make suggestions, offer help (lawl) and whatever You want. Thanks for reading! (or for scrolling down till here xD )

AoW_Hun7312

I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Reaction score
I hope your not gonna be using WoW custom models with all those things your already adding, Huge Map Size < Wc3 Models

AoW_Hun7312

I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Reaction score
Here's what he says...

Now, you see this is a HUGE project. But it's aiming on maximal similarity with the original game .. that's why the chances I will ever finish it aren't big ... and I'm just beginning work on it. So I'm 'recruiting' skilled JASS-ers (since most of the map should be in JASS) to work with me. This won't be 'Ixtreon's project with the help of XX, YY and ZZ' but an 'Ixtreon's, XXs, YYs and ZZs project'

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
I'm sad to say that this won't work out. You can't switch maps on multiplayer mode. :(

That's what I remember.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
Yeah, and theres no way I believe to bypass 256X256 even with WEU.
Only chance is to make everything small and being extremly space conservative.

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> Yeah, and theres no way I believe to bypass 256X256 even with WEU.

World Editor Unlimited can make your map's size around 450x450 if I remember correctly.

Knights

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
>World Editor can make your map's size around 450x450 if I remember correctly.

256x256 is the biggest size you can possibly make.

Looks like a good map if you ever get it finished.

He isn't saying the map is going to be bigger than 256x256, nor that it will be several maps over one game. Hes saing it's kind of like Ragos ORPG, except your instant level 70, and you just do instances and battlegrounds, all in separate maps, with separate hosts and players

Good luck,
Knights:cool:

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
>World Editor can make your map's size around 450x450 if I remember correctly.

Looks like a good map if you ever get it finished.

He isn't saying the map is going to be bigger than 256x256, nor that it will be several maps over one game. Hes saing it's kind of like Ragos ORPG, except your instant level 70, and you just do instances and battlegrounds, all in separate maps, with separate hosts and players

Good luck,
Knights:cool:

Oh, ok. Nvm then. :p

the Immortal

I know, I know...
Reaction score
>>> I hope your not gonna be using WoW custom models with all those things your already adding, Huge Map Size < Wc3 Models

No, but I want to make different races and classes (for ex. there should be human rogue, NE rogue, dwarf rogue, gnome rogue, etc.) so I may need -some- custom models

>>> Sounds like a big undertaking, how much have you accomplished?

As I said I am just beginning work on it.

>>> Yeah, and theres no way I believe to bypass 256X256 even with WEU.

I am not going to bypass that restriction. If you read my post, you can see that every battlgeround / dungeon will be on separate map. And 256x256 is even too big for one :)
The first time you create your 'blank' hero and after you leave / finish the map, you write down your save code. Then you host another map (another dungeon), write the code like in every ORPG and your character is there :)

PS. LF2M World Editor map creation, full run

juty

Zoom out problems look smaller
Reaction score
>>> I hope your not gonna be using WoW custom models with all those things your already adding, Huge Map Size < Wc3 Models

No, but I want to make different races and classes (for ex. there should be human rogue, NE rogue, dwarf rogue, gnome rogue, etc.) so I may need -some- custom models

>>> Sounds like a big undertaking, how much have you accomplished?

As I said I am just beginning work on it.

>>> Yeah, and theres no way I believe to bypass 256X256 even with WEU.

I am not going to bypass that restriction. If you read my post, you can see that every battlgeround / dungeon will be on separate map. And 256x256 is even too big for one :)
The first time you create your 'blank' hero and after you leave / finish the map, you write down your save code. Then you host another map (another dungeon), write the code like in every ORPG and your character is there :)

PS. LF2M World Editor map creation, full run

Sounds a bit weird no offence but this sound massive u are going to need a massive team and support to pull this off at this point u are looking 6-9 months plus

rodead

Reaction score
i think this won't work because i also tried to make a wow rpg but i failed because it was to much work and i never get it done so i tip for you just don't do it or as juty say you need a good team of people who want to do it and thats the hardest part to fid such team. i did it with people and it is never done ... so GL and HF.

cr4xzZz

Also known as azwraith_ftL.
Reaction score
If you couldn't do it that doesn't mean that he can't do it too. If he doesn't give up some day he will finish this project. :p And if it's perfect... well it will pass DotA's popularity for sure.

For the map size you can make a map 450x450 with WEU, but I think when you save it you get an error... So technically you can't bypass 256x256 :D

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
WADAFAAAAK, no, not anudda one !!!;)
GL on your big mission.

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> Knights

Type, I meant World Editor Unlimited. Sorry for that.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score

480 x 480 is the biggest size if I remember correctly, you cant create it with the world editor and editing some parts of the map with the help of the world editor is impossible. I think that grimore made some steps towards allowing this but I'm not sure.
If you are interested have a look at one of the first threads I made in this forum.

Edit: Turns out that I didn't include how I did it, only how to fix a few of the side effects...
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26851

Anyway, somewhere in the main mpq of warcraft 3 there is a file that specifies the default configuration of the world editor. One of the options is what size the default should be when you do "new map", if you change that field to 480x480 and restart the editor then you can create a map with that size.

the Immortal

I know, I know...
Reaction score
LFM
- Someone to begin working on Aggro, ability / skill cast and targeting systems (and for further scripting of bosses) with me.
(should be a skilled JASS-er)
- Someone to begin working on items, talents, skills and heroes (exporting them from WoW)
(will be good if has original WoW and perfect understanding of Object Editor)

Still looking for helpers! + BUMP (inventory system is half-complete; it's harder than I thought it would be, but no probs for now x) )

And about map size -- I think 256x256 is even big for one dungeon (instance) map.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.