<<<[ Icon Contest Thread ]>>>

Battlemapsta

I am the Conduit of Change
Reaction score
I just noticed I seriously need a way better avatar animated is more like it :shades: but because I don't have the skill or the tools, or the editor, or the game what's the point :(

I was looking for a sword avatar but the only good one were way too big. Oh well spam day is over. Onward with the contest.

iqchicken

Reaction score
Actually you can download GIMP which is almost as good and easy as Photoshop or Corel Draw...(I even made a skinning tutorial in GIMP, you can applie the same effects to an icon as on a skin.)

(Alltough smith said only original icons, you could brush the original icon to a new one, which doesnt look like the original, in my opinion.)

why did you quote me? this has NOTHING to do with my post... lol

are you saying that editing with GIMP would take less than 10 minutes? :rolleyes:

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Sorry, meant to quote noxmortus.(gunno fix that)

I can colour an icon in 10 seconds, but very lousily, but I wanted to say that one can edit icons for free, without 200£ programs. The time isnt issue right now, we got plenty of it.

EDIT: I found a great trigger in WE:

Code:
Icon_editing
Events
A unit starts to edit an image
Conditions
Editing time equal to 3600
Actions
Spawn a great icon in region 000 <gen>

Luth

Lex Luthor!
Reaction score
Now, explain something for me...

How does one spell have 5 BTN icons, discluding DISBTN, PASBTN, etc? That doesnt make sense, so you cant mean that.

So then, is this a "Design 5 icons for 5 different spells" contest? Then why does the "Rewards" talk about "the icon", if there are to be 5 selected as a "winning icon set." That doesnt make sense, so you cant mean that either.

How does an "innate" icon differ from a "ultimate" icon, or "learned ability" icon, anyway? It sounds more like you want a Hero Creation Contest, with the ability specifics removed, and the ability icons included. Is that what you mean to propose?

So, please, do clear this up for me. :confused:

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
smith_s9 said:
Hmmm, does anyone got moneys from posting an icon on Wc3sear.ch? Does anyone got moneys from making a hero, an spell or something like that for contests like this? Let's take the Hero Contest as an example. The prize is not really big (no offense meant, emjl3), but, still the people posted great Heroes.

And, btw, I could make a good icon-pack in about 4 h. And is not really hard work.

well i don't think the prize here is a really big either.. especially the 2nd place prize. I mean common "you will use the icon as your avatar?"

What kind of a strange prize is that?

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I said that just the BTN is required. The others are optional.

Well, I'm gonna fix that, where due. :D

Well, this idea belongs to Andrewgosu ( :D ), so, Andrewgosu, could you clear up that thing?

@Rabarber, read carefully the 16th post.

Well, Gimp is a good and free program, but I have Photoshop, and I can say that I paid nothing *cough* :D

Well, this is some kind of advertisment.

L

lascha

Does anyone have tips about how to create icons?
(e.g How to start, borders, "shadows", n stuff ^.^)

Tried making one.. drew it with black brush.. and started putting the colors everywhere.. :/ but what i'm doing can be done in paint too.. (with exception of the colors :p)

So.. Any tips? ^^

Jo.O

Bored...
Reaction score
Open an icon and remove everything but the border, or "shadows" for passive icons.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I just wanted to do that:D

Anyway, here's a Gif one.

icon.gif

64x64, just draw your icon inside.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I'd suggest to make the icon in a bigger size (I'm using 192 x 192), then make it 64 x 64 and apply a sharpen filter.

L

lascha

thanks for info ^_^

anyway.. after nearly one hour of work... i finished the 1st icon o_O hehehe 4 hrs to go

L

lascha

thank you ^_^

Got one question though. Since this is an icon contest, will the icon also be judged on the spell and its description? (Or just the drawing (icon)?)

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Mainly, the drawing. But we must also understand the concept of the icon, that's why we asked for a description. Cuz, if anyone would make abstract things and submit them, it would be a totally mess-up.

L

lascha

aha, and.. the rules say that the icon must represent a spell.. may it also be a passive ability or something else.. as long as it's a hero ability?

edit: cmon.. more ppl should sign up.. i've never tried to make stuff with photoshop until now.. and yet my 1st icon is pretty nice.. :D cmon ppl.. sign up..^_^
there are 2 contestants now.. so.. that means if no one else joins --> i get the first or second prize.. and you don't want that to happen now, do you? :p

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Sign me up for the contest! And by the way, the GIMP is a little worse than photoshop, but 100% free. I made this avatar (avatar from June 25, 2006) using the GIMP, so sign up!

EDIT:

lascha said:
there are 2 contestants now.. so.. that means if no one else joins --> i get the first or second prize.. and you don't want that to happen now, do you? :p

I must make you get third!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.