<<<[ Icon Contest Thread ]>>>

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Compare your exploding planet with the result of that tutorial. They look almost the same!!! Yes, you made your planet, but you followed exactly the instruction from there. That's not originality anymore.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
This is how I judge the icons:

The original the icon is the more points it gets.
The better the quality of the icon is the more points it gets
The better the descripition is, the more points it gets.

Ill give you free hands how you design your images and you can use tutorials, but if you copy 1 : 1 from them, your originality points dont benefit from that.(Your allows to use tutorial effects and such, photoshop filter ect, but be creative);)

Better do as smith says;) But giving a warning because of copying from tutorials is a bit harsh:p (the originality points suffer, rememeber...)

Jo.O

Bored...
Reaction score
Andrewgosu said:
copying from tutorials

I didn't even copy, I followed the tutorial as accurate as possible, and the result comes out pretty much the same.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Thatswhy you should use tutorials! They help you to learn things and create stuff. In this case icons.:p

I meant copying from tutorials like copy-paste the images from them lol!:D
(pretty stupid eh?)

Lets give a rest from this talk and act like this never happened? So everybody who wants, can make/change/edit their icons. Dont know what was this fuss all about.

Agree smith? everyone?

(But using other peoples icons I just wont tolerate;))

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Oww, that, I dont consider using filters and effects nonoriginal as long they dont make it 1 : 1.

Who said that filters and effects have something to do with originality? :p. This is in the quality and it'll be one of my judging criteria.

I didn't copy, I followed the tutorial as accurate as possible, and the result comes out pretty much the same.

You're right, it's not copying, it's nonoriginality :p

EDIT: Well, Andrew, many of the things I saw and I didn't liked will count in the scores (I'm talking about the icons now). But this was a bit against the rules, that's why I acted. But, from now on, this kind of things will count in the score, too (as you said).

Jo.O

Bored...
Reaction score
>Thatswhy you should use tutorials! They help you to learn things and create stuff. In this case icons.:p

Agreed.

>Lets give a rest from this talk and act like this never happened?

Sure, but don't know if I'll take time making new icons, but I'll see later ;)

>(But using other peoples icons I just wont tolerate;))

Ofcourse, I would never do that.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Andrewgosu said:
A tip, you can hide filters and effects into your icons so that it wont show up as much.:D

(Use freehand, layers, airbrushing;)

Well, I'm using filters and effects a lot, but I make them to look very free-hand-ish. This is one of the criteria, too. It measures your draw skills.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
It's good to use filters and drawing to get the best effect though.

Example...

RPGIMP.gif

...see? :p

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Just so you know, I used Photoshop elements for all of my icons. All of them I started from a blank document, absolutely no imported pictures, except for the brain blast one, which I started out with a picture of a brain for.

Jo.O

Bored...
Reaction score
smith_s9 said:
You cannot delete your posts unless you are an admin or a mod. BTW... Photoshop CS rules

I can delete mine ;) Special Membership.

And I'm working on a whole new icon pack, Lightning this time.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't knew that SMs can delete their posts. I was intrigued how your contest entry simply disappeared. Anyway, goodluck on the new pack and don't forget: make them original ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.