Texture and Team Color Prob

TFlan

I could change this in my User CP.
Reaction score
While Rinpun is holding my RPG, ive come up with a new map idea, Air Combat: Dog Fighting. I've looking in and found only a helecopter, acually pretty good to. So i asked in an earlier thread where i could get a desent modeling program, but no one answered and i got impatient so i looked up on google and found Milkshape. I finished my airplane, maybe a little to big for a fighter, and im now trying to put texture and find how i can put a team color area on the model. I have a link to a picture of it, you can tell me what u think of it -- its my first model so dont be to harsh. If you could tell me how to add texture and where to get a good airplane texture i would be very gratefull. Also, i would like to know how to add the team color area.

Thanks in advance, Thanks for reading :D

Player 11

::Edit::
sorry heres the link (click here like always)

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Look on a Warcraft III skin, and see how they did it. Team colors has to do with Alphaing part of the skin, but Ryoko would know more than I do about it.

TFlan

Reaction score
What Warcraft file would help the most? Alphaing? What the heck is that? (sorry im noob at models)

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Get Warcraft Image Extractor II from www.Wc3Sear.ch and save the Paladin Skin (Under Replaceable Textures) as a Targa, then open it in a Photo Editing program. After that, go to Masks->and click Alpha Channels. Click the one and only alpha channel, should be Alpha Channel 1 and it'll show where the team color is.

P.S. That fighter looks friggin' awesome.

TFlan

Reaction score
XXconanXXX said:
P.S. That fighter looks friggin' awesome.

Thank-you :D

Umm i couldn't find the file.... i looked there but to find no paly skin. Could you post here?

TFlan

Reaction score
SD_Ryoko said:
I have no clue how Milkshape works.

But to go into warcraft, you need it in .MDL format.

So you'll need to find an exporting tool, script, plugin or something, that does MDL.

Once you have an MDL, I can tell you how to edit materials to team color.

K i'll search google.

TFlan

Reaction score
Ok i got it in .MDL format (Milkshape has so many formats you can save it in :D)

Now what?

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
That might be MDL for Quake, and not MDL for warcraft, but we can try it.

Did you do UVW Unwrap on your skin, and skin the model?

Follow the skinning tutorial, and save anything that should be team colors as NOT selected. So all solid areas WILL be selected, and team colors will not.

Save the model as MDL.

Open it with notepad and edit the materials. More in this topic after you have everything else done.

TFlan

Reaction score
UVW Unwrap??? Whats that?

Your World Edit Tutorial skinning tutorial? or some1 elses? Im guessing yours so i will try that.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Open the MDL file with a text editor. You'll see an area like this.
Code:
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "",  [color=red]Your base image.[/color]
		ReplaceableId 1, [color=red]Replaceable tag.[/color]
	}
}
Materials 1 {
	Material {  [color=red]Declare a material.[/color]
		Layer { [color=red]First layer of that material.[/color]
			FilterMode None,  [color=red]Can be None, Blend, or Transparent.[/color]
			static TextureID 0, [color=red]The texture it uses.[/color]
		}
	}
Now we have to create our own textures and materials. For team colors, the texture file will have alpha channels (or selected areas), which are the LAYERS. So the first layer we will make team color, and the second layer, normal.

ReplaceableId 1: Means team color.
ReplaceableId 2: Means hero glow.
ReplaceableId 11: Means default cliff tile.

So we'll have something like this.
Code:
Textures 2 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "",  [color=red]None, texture 0[/color]
		ReplaceableId 1, [color=red]Team color.[/color]
	}
	Bitmap {
		Image "Airplane.blp",  [color=red]Your base image, texture 1[/color]
	}
}
Materials 1 {
	Material {  [color=red]Declare a material.[/color]
		Layer { [color=red]Team color layer.[/color]
			FilterMode Transparent, [color=red]Layer is invisible.[/color]
			Unshaded,  [color=red]Doesn't render lighting, optional[/color]
			TwoSided, [color=red]Texture both sides of the polygon.[/color]
			static TextureID 0,  [color=red]'0' is our first texture.[/color]
		}
		Layer { [color=red]Normal Layer.[/color]
			FilterMode Blend,  [color=red]Blends edges with team color.[/color]
			static TextureID 1,  [color=red]'1' is our second texture.[/color]
		}
	}

Now, we have to assign that material to the geoset bodies that use it. Find the geoset, and the line that says 'MaterialId:'.

Change this to 'MaterialId: 0,'. Since textures and materials start with number 0, it will be your first material.

TFlan

Reaction score
Err the problem is i still dont have a texture yet. So how am i to do that when im missing vital parts. The title of this thread is 'Texture and Team Color Prob' im still looking for the texture part.

TFlan

Reaction score
Im thinking just to have the whole plane tan with the team color pattern here and there and with an army tan look like with 3 different shades of tan or light brown.

TFlan

Reaction score
whats UVW Unwrap?

Ok i think the texture will take me about 10 min so hang on.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Textures are the hardest part.

UVW unrap? it assigns where EVERY polygon of the model goes in the skin file.

Like shown in that MoMM tutorial link.

I'm a failure at modeling, because I suck at making skins. Sad, isn't it?

LOL.

what I do, is take screen shots of the model, so i can see the polygons, and inside the photo editor, I skin over the polygons so its correctly shaped.

TFlan

Reaction score
Sooo could you help me with applying the skin to my aircraft? I checked on Milkshape and it says i have: 1090 vertices , 1936 Triangles , 6 groups , and 0 materials.

OOOOOHHHH i can just add the color i want to the plane with out a sperate program!!! I love milkshape! You can get it here. Just click on download on the side bar.

Ok let me apply the material and i will get a link to show the new skin w/o the team color thingy tho.

::Edit::
You cant be that bad at it. I mean you know almost everything about it.

TFlan

Reaction score
Ok the animations i have for this thing is going to be special effects from the game :D (lazy) I made it face the way its facing, i realy dont know.

Screw materials way to confusing im just gonna add a skin.

===========================================

If your wondering the animations are going to be:

When moving forward: Flames come out the back -> jet engine

When firing bullets: I made a unit that will be a fragment shell thing in very small scale coming from the noise of the plane, cause i want you to be able to miss :D.

When firing missles: The missles on the side are just there to make it look cool and to fit in with the game. Im going to have the fragment shell in larger scale with the skin a little tweaked (i learned how to skin and model in only 2 days :D) coming out either side of the plane, will have a trigger determining that with some integers.

When stopped: Remove the flames from the back.

Im very sneaky... 10 bucks only the people who read this will know that there are no animations.

Death: Trigger removeing the unit after exploding it to make it look realistic. :D

SD_Ryoko said:
....Basically, making a 256x256 tga skin file, just like the sorceress tutorial....

Pixels? Inches? Cm?

Oh nevermind. I cant create skins only edit them..... man now i think im sucking at models.....

Can anyone find or create a camoed skin for an airplane?

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Just a little thought, Player 11:

You can EDIT these posts, instead of making 4 different ones...It's better for the forum, since this is considered bumping (excessively) and is against the rules...

Just a little warning :)

Have a nice day! :D

Alexander

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.