1.7hz to 3.6hz

BrokenX

Reaction score
Hey since we are talking about this stuff... heres my question

Question: Im on a 1.7 hz, im going to upgrade soon to a 3.6... now heres the question will I notice a big difference? Or just a slight difference in performance.

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
I'll guess you're going to go from a Socket 423 P4 to a Socket 775 P4. You'll likely have a new video card, dual channel memory and SATA2 as options for the upgrade. Depending on how many of those you do, you may see up to a 2x performance increase, but that all depends on how you use the computer. If you're an occassional gamer and you use the computer the rest of the time for creating Office documents, listening to music and watching videos, you're not placing enough demand on the computer to see any real difference other than something loading a second or two faster.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Intel P4 1.6 ghz
Geforce 440 64mb
512mb RDRAM

I promised over a year ago I would not upgrade my PC until games lag. And they don't yet!

But I do a lot of web work. So i'll have several folder open, FTP program, Photo Impact, several internet explorers open, and a couple editors.

For the most part, runs phenominally.

But there are some large size images I've been working on (5 megapixel) and with nothing open but PhotoImpact, I can't even work on it.

I create a selection area and it takes two minutes to update the display, one little area at a time. Then finally, I click properties, and the window never comes up.

This is NOT good.

Whats the bottleneck on my system? What primary resource does editing images use? Processor? The ram?

......do I have to spend some cash and upgrade ALL of it?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
ummmmm darq both those links are just an image and both the same image

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
SD, pitch in another GB of RAM and it should be all good. A faster proc may help depending on what kind of processing you are doing to the images.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
sqrage said:
ummmmm darq both those links are just an image and both the same image

wrong: they are not the same image

wrong: they are not "just images", they are the most comprehensive listing and comparison table of CPUs you will ever find anywhere.

Perhaps you are too young to appreciate the information there, I don't know.....

Whats the bottleneck on my system? What primary resource does editing images use? Processor? The ram?

......do I have to spend some cash and upgrade ALL of it?

when such a slowdown happens again, do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the task manager. Click on the processes tab and see how much CPU your application is using.

Go to View menu -> Select columns..... -> add the columns Memory usage delta, Virtual Memory Size, Thread Count, GDI objects. They will give you a better grasp of what is happening in your application.

have I talked about my new comp yet? hehe :)

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
woh if you bought that a year ago it must've cost a fortune!

mine's just a plain old 3.2Ghz P4E (single E not double E).

My system is only mid-range not high-end, I'm not really that interested in getting an extra 10-20fps @ 1600x1200 playing half life 2.

BrokenX

Reaction score
Woah, lots of posts on my thread :D. I personally think my 1.7 is fine but I do alot of gaming and sometimes have over 7-9 programs opened at a time when making a map... it uses alot of cpg usage when running, sometimes even causes lags I just want to know if a 3.6 would reduce any lag in gaming or working... I don't want to upgrade to it if its going to only reduce some lag on my game I want some pretty nice results, depending on cost.

BrokenX

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
Check the General Forum for a post your specs thread since this one is drifting toward that. :)

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
I mean since some of the replies to this thread are getting off topic, I'm going to create a thread in the General Forum for people to post their system specs since it looks like some people are wanting to brag.

As far as going from a 1.7Ghz to a 3.6Ghz, I doubt it'd be worth the money to do just yet.

BrokenX

Reaction score
What about upgrading my ram to 1.5 gb ? im on 512 now lol... would there be a big change in system performance?

BrokenX

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
hehe i would think u would at least get a noticable differnce im on 256 RAM :D

S

Senkin

adding 1 gig will make a huge diff, adding 512 alone is a nice bump.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.