300 Spartans

J

josephiron

I don't like that there are only 300 troops including Leonidas (right spelling?) In the movie there were 300 hundred of his finest not including him. He also meets up with 300+ troops alone the way. As the ally's leader said I guessed as much that the Spartans would not match our commitment. To my guessing there were at least 700 soldiers then. Also the Spartans were not blocked in like that they had an opening in the back that the Persians could squirm through which lead to the Spartan’s defeat.

In history the Spartans defeated 20 thousand Persians which I don’t think you can produce in the game. You should have for like every one unit you make 100 are produced. That would make the game more realistic and add a big wow effect.

Also the Persians couldn't get their navy to the back of the Spartans like that they were barricaded in by a giant cliff. Custom spells and more though out hero items would make it drastically better as well.

If your trying to do the final hours of the Spartans you should decrease the number of Spartans to like fifty or lower.

Hmmm... In the movie there are 300 spartan soldiers and 700 thespians. But in the real war historians says even more soldiers fought at the spartan side.

I dont want to include thespians. What could it give me ? It will only increase populasion which i dont want either.

Your idea about using one soldier, for every 100 soldier in the game is a good solution. I admit. But it still gets far away with the map idea. The map is 300 Spartans. Thats the starting point. Not a common wc3 map, something like Helms Deep. So i prefer using my 300 number in the game.

About giant cliff you mentioned, i fixed it with the version 1.1, you will see. Now persians can infiltrate behind the Spartan lines. Also archers with very long range, could climb on the cliff, like as in the movie.

About custom spells and abilities. I am still open minded. If you give me any idea i will do that and share your name in the credits. :D

J

josephiron

I'm pretty sure this isn't exactly supposed to be a historical reenactment. It's a Warcraft map, based on a movie, based on a comic book, based on an actual Historical Event. For that purpose, I think it is a good start. I basically agree with what is said though, you need some custom spells, No spartan ever had a "divine shield". In the same vein, you should make entire custom heros for the leaders. Theonidous didn't have a hammer.

One more thing, make a timed spawn trigger for the Persians, that way you can increase the scope of the map.

Very nice opening animation though! Really captured the mood.

most of the flaws in this map, really aren't your fault. After seeing the movie, I considered making a "300" map too, but I have no modeling skills, and that is really what this map requires, is custom models. Also, what would be cool, is if you turned this into an AOS-esque map, where the spartan warriors would be computer controlled, with shared control for all of the spartans, and the players would only control their respective heros, which would have to kick major butt. Also I think that all of Persia could be controlled by One player.

whew. It's a really good start, but it is going to require some hard work on your part to really make it shine. Good Luck!

Thank you ! :rolleyes:

I will make it better with you guys i hope. :D

I wrote it before i dont have custom models and dont have a friend who can create for me custom models. If somebody can help me, we will make it happen.

Anyways i will search the net for custom models.

I dont wanted make a spawn trigger for Persians because, in the movie all the troops were under the command of xerses, he decides them when to atack where to atack. So in the map, players has to do that.

About controlling persia with one palyer, is a major risk, what if he lefts the game, early ? Or if he is a big noob ?

I will make the shared unit control in the next version. Dont worry. :p

Again, the same wish, custom spells. :eek: Tell me exactly what you want for which hero. Lets have a talk on that spell, and discuss. Believe me if we decided and agreed on a spell which we must include in the map, i will add that spell. But give me ideas ??

I am so happy that you loved the animation, in the next verison i increased its volume (thanks to my friend Zagg :cool: ), and made some minor changes, which i think gives the map more similarity with the movie.

Finally thank you for your worthy opinions. I will do my best. :)

On the other hand, here are some news; I think, i can publish version 1.1 before this weekend. ;)

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
Ok, how about having Persia be joint controlled by 2 people? And with Spawn Points, I know what you were trying to do, but it just limits the ammount of units you can have on the map. I think something like this would work miracles in being able to increase the amount of carnage. Try something like this

Set up an integer variable called Persian_reserves and set it to whatever (I figure 10k would make for an awesome battle)

PHP:
Event
     Unit - A Unit Dies
Conditions
     or (any condition is met)
          Unit - Owner of (Dying unit) = (whichever players are playing as Xerxes)
          {{same as above for any amount of players that are playing Xerxes}}
     Persian_Reserves is Greater than 0
Actions
     Unit - Create one (unit type of (dying unit)) for (owner of (dying unit)) at Persia Spawn <gen>
     set Persian_reserves = ((Persian_reserves) - 1)

that way you can really weaken the Persian troops, especially if you set the spartan's life regen to 0, or very little

of course, if you go this route, you will probably need a mass-attack function that is manipulative. My map required a similar function, so I created an invisible flying unit that looked like the store hero selection arrow, and had an ability called "Attack Here Now" If you would like help creating this, I would gladly assist.

Abilities
as far as abilities go, I don't even care if the heroes have the same abilities they do now, if you name it something different and give it a new icon, but here are some ideas​

General

All Spartan Heroes can have the same basic abilities with one unique ultimate that has to do with their role in the movie. the basic abilities would be

Spear Toss
I know you have the whole spear item thing, but I think an ability would be more effective since you could level it up, it could be based on impale, and attack enemies in a line​

Combat Mastery
This could be based on the Drunken Brawler skill, basically is critical strike and evasion combined​

Aura of Inspiration
this could be any number of auras already available, but it would make the heroes have to act even more like firefighters, and the players could really feel like their presence was turning the tide of battle *this aura could also be hero-specific*​

Hero Specific Ultimates
These could be personal fighting skills (avatar) Generalship Skills (roar/howl) AOE damage attacks (you can do rain of arrows) or a Super, Passive, Combat buff (based on pulverize, or cleaving attack, or some kind of multi-shot)​

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
I'm using generic descriptions of people because I don't know what models your using and don't remember everyone's name. :eek:

For a hero with a shield you could have a knockback stomp type thing that would send all the units around him to fly upwards and away, dealing x amount of damage.

Leonidas can have a spell which shouts a call (use like FOR SPARTA! or something of that sort) then all the units around him increase slightly in size and increase attack speed, hit points and damage for set amount of seconds.

You can have an ability for a hero with a sword that he moves instantly to x amount of units doing x amount of damage and add some really cool effects for the movement of him. (pretty common type of spell but fits this map pretty well in my opinion.)

An ability that smashes one unit sending him flying back hitting everyone that is behind him (Like a line) dealing damage to them decrease the amount of damage after each unit and only goes so far.

Also the Spartans are really strong you might want to decrease their strength if you haven't already or increase the Persians numbers or their strength. Something to balance it a little more.

Hope this helps you some.

J

josephiron

Ok, how about having Persia be joint controlled by 2 people? And with Spawn Points, I know what you were trying to do, but it just limits the ammount of units you can have on the map. I think something like this would work miracles in being able to increase the amount of carnage. Try something like this

Set up an integer variable called Persian_reserves and set it to whatever (I figure 10k would make for an awesome battle)

PHP:
Event
     Unit - A Unit Dies
Conditions
     or (any condition is met)
          Unit - Owner of (Dying unit) = (whichever players are playing as Xerxes)
          {{same as above for any amount of players that are playing Xerxes}}
     Persian_Reserves is Greater than 0
Actions
     Unit - Create one (unit type of (dying unit)) for (owner of (dying unit)) at Persia Spawn <gen>
     set Persian_reserves = ((Persian_reserves) - 1)

that way you can really weaken the Persian troops, especially if you set the spartan's life regen to 0, or very little

of course, if you go this route, you will probably need a mass-attack function that is manipulative. My map required a similar function, so I created an invisible flying unit that looked like the store hero selection arrow, and had an ability called "Attack Here Now" If you would like help creating this, I would gladly assist.

I will realy think about this. With some improvement this could work. I will think. But i didnt come to a decision yet.

Abilities
as far as abilities go, I don't even care if the heroes have the same abilities they do now, if you name it something different and give it a new icon, but here are some ideas​

General

All Spartan Heroes can have the same basic abilities with one unique ultimate that has to do with their role in the movie. the basic abilities would be

Spear Toss
I know you have the whole spear item thing, but I think an ability would be more effective since you could level it up, it could be based on impale, and attack enemies in a line​

Combat Mastery
This could be based on the Drunken Brawler skill, basically is critical strike and evasion combined​

Aura of Inspiration
this could be any number of auras already available, but it would make the heroes have to act even more like firefighters, and the players could really feel like their presence was turning the tide of battle *this aura could also be hero-specific*​

Hero Specific Ultimates
These could be personal fighting skills (avatar) Generalship Skills (roar/howl) AOE damage attacks (you can do rain of arrows) or a Super, Passive, Combat buff (based on pulverize, or cleaving attack, or some kind of multi-shot)​

Man you are awesome. Thanks for these great ability ideas. I will certainly start to work them on the version 1.2. And I will give you the credit in the map.

After the release of version 1.1 we can talk about these abilities more detailed. You will be here right ? ;)

Espacially i loved the Spear Toss idea... Maybe we can think about shield toss too. It was in the movie either.

I am growing impatiant to work on version 1.2 :p

J

josephiron

I'm using generic descriptions of people because I don't know what models your using and don't remember everyone's name. :eek:

For a hero with a shield you could have a knockback stomp type thing that would send all the units around him to fly upwards and away, dealing x amount of damage.

Leonidas can have a spell which shouts a call (use like FOR SPARTA! or something of that sort) then all the units around him increase slightly in size and increase attack speed, hit points and damage for set amount of seconds.

You can have an ability for a hero with a sword that he moves instantly to x amount of units doing x amount of damage and add some really cool effects for the movement of him. (pretty common type of spell but fits this map pretty well in my opinion.)

An ability that smashes one unit sending him flying back hitting everyone that is behind him (Like a line) dealing damage to them decrease the amount of damage after each unit and only goes so far.

Also the Spartans are really strong you might want to decrease their strength if you haven't already or increase the Persians numbers or their strength. Something to balance it a little more.

Hope this helps you some.

After a lot of words saying, "give me some custom ability ideas", i see, you couldnt resist more. :D

It starts to come beautiful custom spell ideas from you. I will work on them in version 1.2. But still i need more definitions. :D

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
I will realy think about this. With some improvement this could work. I will think. But i didnt come to a decision yet.

Man you are awesome. Thanks for these great ability ideas. I will certainly start to work them on the version 1.3. And I will give you the credit in the map.

After the release of version 1.2 we can talk about these abilities more detailed. You will be here right ? ;)

Espacially i loved the Spear Toss idea... Maybe we can think about shield toss too. It was in the movie either.

I am growing impatiant to work on version 1.3 :p

Thank you, and I will most definitely be here. Shield toss sounds like a great idea, especially if you make it a ridiculously powerful AOE that spawns a shield item, and the hero casting it will suffer a damage loss until they can retrieve it

I would just like to persuade you a bit towards the mass-attack unit. It REALLY helps large-scale army assaults

Also, something came to my attention when browsing the forum, it is the idea of "combo points" give the heroes 0 mana regen, but give them mana for each kill they get. I dunno if that is something you want to put in, but I just thought I'd throw out the idea

Z

Zagg

some ability ideas:

all spartan heroes
- Must have spear tossing ability by that way you can free yourself to get items from south
- can have a spear(single unit massive dmg) and a sword(splash dmg) and can switch them...

Leonidas
- can have some kind of "Victory Walk" ability he moves forward fastly splash dmg around (maybe some unit tossing) but it may have a backdraw he gets himself middle of enemy so must use carefully
- can summon Thebes warriors??

Captain
- This one must have aura abilities... and maybe have some healing aura that way you can send exhausted warrior back to him to get some rest

And for xerxes side
- some name changes can be made. like AoE "death and decay" to "rain of arrows"
- xerxes attacks must seen like wave attacks so gameplay must force players to do this... so some triggers can be made. lik, by pressing a button from barrack a group of immortals attack to pass or some archers rain down arrows to fields vs vs
- for xerxes heroes a Abomination looks perfect and counter of captain a general with some debuff auras

Finally some map changes
- I dont know if that can be possible but putting some bone wall near narrow pass and make it get higher and higher while persian kill raise...
- still dont have time to play v1.1 but when I got a chance I may tell smt...

well these are my 2 cents for now...

J

josephiron

And for xerxes side
- some name changes can be made. like AoE "death and decay" to "rain of arrows"

This is hell of a good idea. Genius. I admire.

If you want Xerxes to shoot a wave of arrows, wouldn't something like "Starfall" be better? (You'd change the name of course, and the animation to arrows instead of little balls of light.)

I dont agree with you, starfall targets the enemy one by one, but rain of arrows targets an area, very cool idea.

J

josephiron

Great news, everyone, version 1.1 is available !!!

Please go to first post and DO NOT forget to look in the credits to see your name ;)

S

sniperz

josehpiron. there are 3 creators of 300 spartans map.. i hope u dun misunderstand ... u , me and another guy in epicwar. has it.

type 300 spartans then u'll know ... currently 3 creators are making their very own version.

i will still help u upload ur latest map if u post ur map here.

yup i had played the maps.. so i know its all different.

J

josephiron

josehpiron. there are 3 creators of 300 spartans map.. i hope u dun misunderstand ... u , me and another guy in epicwar. has it.

type 300 spartans then u'll know ... currently 3 creators are making their very own version.

i will still help u upload ur latest map if u post ur map here.

yup i had played the maps.. so i know its all different.

tell me then, which one is better ? :cool:

S

sniperz

lmao all have their very own taste. i'll say 3 of us did our own effort =P
bleh :p u can say ur's the best though haha XD!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.