Acronyms (Tutorial)

Rad

Reaction score
Below is a list of many common acronyms, created by me but asked for by ld_pugh. If any arent listed list them below (As I am sure I forgot some)

[highlight]Map Themes[/highlight]:

DotA - Defense of the Ancients
.....I really hate this game, its very stupid and drains the Warcraft economy... yet its popular?

AoS - Aeon of Strife
.....The first version of "DotA-Type" maps, it consist of 2 bases and several lanes connecting, each base produces soldiers that fight each other and every player gets a hero to assist in battle.

TD
- Tower Defense
.....Several variations of this time of map exist, from wars to solo and many mauls. Mauls are all vs enemy. You build towers to kill creeps who run by.

RPG - Role Playing Game
.....This ones obviously, mainly you get a hero and do quests and kill stuff

[highlight]Game Acronyms[/highlight]:

GG - Good Game
.....Used at the end of a game, or to intimidate at a possible turning point

RM/RE - Remake
.....Ask the host to remake the game to play again, or the host can say RM to let the others know he/she is remaking

Noob/Newb/Nub - Begginer
.....Noob is offensive, Newb is neutral, Nub is mild. There is also n00b which is an 8 year old talking.

GL/HF/DD - Good Luck, Have Fun, Dont Die
.....These are usually used during that last few seconds of countdown, pretty obvious what thier meaning are

[highlight]Forum Acronyms[/highlight]:

AFAIK - As far as I know

FWIW - For what its worth

[highlight]Basic Acronyms[/highlight]:

JK - Joking
.....Simply a short way of saying Joking

Lol - Laugh out loud
.....Not to be used as an acronym, more as a response)

Rofl - Rolling on floor laughing
.....Enhanced version of the 'Lol', a "funny" response

Lmao - Laugh my ass off
.....More sophisticated version of the 'Rofl'

Omg - Oh my god
.....This means exactly what its said for, its one of the fear 'true' acronyms

LOlolOl1LOOL!OL!OL1o1olo!~!1one!!1 - Immature version of the 'Lol'
.....Believe it or not this can be used to introduce new levels of moral, without people even realizing it!

[highlight]More Acronyms (User-Submitted)[/highlight]:

mixmax2 said:
RL -Real Life

GF -Goodfight(not girlfriend because it is rarely a subject of an online game convo )

newbie,nubbie,n00b, jewb - different variations to Rads noob description

pwn - a term that stands for pawn, a way of saying i totally dominate you.

brb - be right back

afk - away from keyboard(our way of saying not here)

rf - Refresh, in a wc3 game refreshing the slots by opening and closing them surprisingly gets people to join.

bbl - be back later

ffs - lotta ppl question this in my games, it stands for " for f**ks sake "

lmfao and omfg - diffrent variations to lmao and omg, only they include an f word.

bbfn - bye bye for now

wtf - what the f**k ( surprised no1 mentioned this lol)

wth - what the hell

ssdd - same sh*t different day(way of saying my life is boring)

WastedSavior said:
OMFG - Oh My Fu**ing God
SOB - Son of A Bitch
BSOD - Blue Screen of Doom (Or death)
Stfu - shut the f**k up

hobo218 said:
FUBAR - F***ed up beyond all reason (lol) (Or Recognition)

call me Mike said:
pown3d - you got the &%$# kicked out of you in a game

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
RL-Real Life

GF-Goodfight(not girlfriend because it is rarely a subject of an online game convo :eek: )

newbie,nubbie,n00b, jewb- different variations to Rads noob description :D

pwn- a term that stands for pawn, a way of saying i totally dominate you.

brb- be right back

afk- away from keyboard(our way of saying not here)

rf- Refresh, in a wc3 game refreshing the slots by opening and closing them surprisingly gets people to join.

bbl- be back later

ffs- lotta ppl question this in my games, it stands for " for f**ks sake "

lmfao and omfg- diffrent variations to lmao and omg, only they include an f word.

add those onto ur tut :D

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
lol seriously? You should post that "description of a noob" thing here

Rad

Reaction score
Ah mixmax2, your attention span reaches far higher than I have never used RL, nor seen it before.

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
really? i encounter the term rl all the time, wether it be wow or a game of dota0_0 EX- wow get a rl or atleast i have a rl. (of course the 2nd sentence is never true if the person typing it is playing the same game as u :D)

edit- wow i cannot that of all the things for it to be, my 400th post ended up in a thread talking bout lol , rl, and pwn :D

WastedSavior

Reaction score
OMFG - Oh My Fu**ing God
SOB - Son of A Bitch
BSOD - Blue Screen of Doom
Stfu - shut the f**k up

Rad

Reaction score
Already had hf, with gl and dd :p

Your swearing has reminded me of another too

FFS - For F***s Sake (See, censors are cool)

EDIT~ Nevemrind that was in mixmax's, just when I got excited I remembered something too :( lol jk I just didnt read it all

omg... JK - Joking :nuts:

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
unless u guys dint notice , i already mentioned omfg and ffs(edit- noticed rad cleared that up :D) in my first post :D aaanway

bbfn- bye bye for now

wtf- what the f**k ( surprised no1 mentioned this lol)

wth- what the hell

ssdd- same sh*t different day(way of saying my life is boring)

edit#2- we can turn this into a online term encyclopedia, well be rich!

WastedSavior

Reaction score
mixmax2 said:
unless u guys dint notice , i already mentioned omfg and ffs(edit- noticed rad cleared that up :D) in my first post :D aaanway

bbfn- bye bye for now

wtf- what the f**k ( surprised no1 mentioned this lol)

wth- what the hell

ssdd- same sh*t different day(way of saying my life is boring)

edit#2- we can turn this into a online term encyclopedia, well be rich!

lies! lol you edited those back in, jk

Rad

Reaction score
Bah so many, Ill add those and I just added what you guys posted (And added JK)

C

call me Mike

pown3d - you got the &%$# kicked out of you in a game

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
'pwn' doesnt necisarily stand for pawn. acualy, i thought pawn was a word introduced after pwn. pwn always basically means 'own' to more emphasis though. some people think pwn=power own. different people have different views on this word, but nobody can say what one was used first, cuz origin of word is rather shadowy.

Rad

Reaction score
Everyone has thier own theory, I think the oldest was it stood for "Perfectly Owned". Different people pronounce it differently Im sure. My friend who plays wc3 on USEAST (Even though he lives down the street, here in OREGON) pronounces it "Pawn" and I say more of a cross between "Poon" and "Pawn"... its hard to type it though, kinda like trying to type the sound of a creaking door.

L

ld_pugh

hey this is awesome everybody, thanks again Rad!!!

i am not so interested in the social acronyms though, looking more for the game types / game themes

CTF - Capture the Flag

can folks post more of those?

ttfn :p

S

Slaughter

Mauls are all vs enemy.
This may be true of currently active mauls, but the original Wintermaul TD (and the first few clones: Summermaul etc.) were all PVC, not PVP.

Glad to hear what ffs means...had thought it was like a request for the speaker's team to forfeit. Speaking of which:

FF - forfeit, in TDA games of DotA more than in anything else (because in most games the acronym for 'forfeit' is 'F10 E Q')

ftw - 1. for the win. 2. (not so much on b.net) f*** the world.

ftl - for the loss.

omw - 1. on my way, used when changing lanes in response to a teammate's request in an AoS. 2. oh my word, used by Christian players unwilling to take their lord's name in vain even in acronym form.

I originally pronounced 'pwn' as 'own.' Now I have switched to 'pown,' which rhymes with 'own.'

Analysis of variant spellings of 'noob' and their different connotations was _too cool._ Would give rep like twice if it let me.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
The DoTA description was very biased and not helpful at all, and the others were slightly vauge.

DotA - Defense of the Ancients
.....The most played game of B.net, it's quality is highly disputed. Sometimes also falsely refers to an AoS type map.

AoS - Aeon of Strife
.....The first version of "hero lane battle" maps, it has turned into a term for the game-type. Consists of a number of bases and several lanes connecting them. Each base produces soldiers that fight each other and every player gets a hero to assist in battle.

TD - Tower Defense
.....Popular game type in which you build towers to kill enemies that try top get past. Maul is a game based off the Wintermaul or similar map.

RPG - Role Playing Game
.....A game in which you get a single hero, and try to level up and get gold. usually single player.

I know hese aren't acronyms, but I may as well add them.

Arena
.....A game in which every player gets a single hero and fights the enemy heros.

Tag
.....A game in which one team (usually a larger one) has to avoid a second team (usually smaller) for a certain amount of time. Many let the "runners" build structures to help impede the "taggers"

Melee
.....Refers to a ladder-style map that uses the basic wc3 battle system.

Altered Melee
.....Refers to a map that is similar to a Melee map, but has extras that set it apart. Many have extra races.

PS: JK stands for Just Kidding.

PSS: Pwn most likely came from owned, which commonly was typo'ed as powned. (P is next to O on keyboards) After the term powned started to mean something other than just a typo, it was shortened to pwned.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.