Acronyms (Tutorial)

N

Neopolis3

I heard there was a typo in a game which saying "pwned" insteand of "owned" and then people started using it...

But hey, that's just what I heard.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Neopolis3 said:
I heard there was a typo in a game which saying "pwned" insteand of "owned" and then people started using it...

But hey, that's just what I heard.
probably pwned and powned were used, as they are both easily made from the same typo.

Typo - Spelling Error
.....Slang used to point out a spelling error.

Guess its not exactly an acronym though.

S

Slaughter

rofl 'typo' is short for 'typographical error.'

I like the p-typo explanation for pwn. I always thought it was a lame sort of l33t, just putting another character with a circle in place of the usual one.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I thought pwn/ pwned mean "Player Owned"... or that's what i was told it meant...

Rad said:
[highlight]Game Acronyms[/highlight]:

RM/RE - Remake
.....Ask the host to remake the game to play again, or the host can say RM to let the others know he/she is remaking

[highlight]Basic Acronyms[/highlight]:

JK - Joking
.....Simply a short way of saying Joking

I saw rm as rematch.

I thought jk was just kidding... but it goes both ways.

Mayb - Maybe (not really an acronym)

don't forget all the numbers that stand for letters...
13 - B
4 - A
1 - I/L
5 - S
6 - G
7 - T
8 - B
9 - g
1337 - leet... has many meanings, but usually means using numbers/symbols to represent letters while talking...

|) - D (or cyclops)

And all the random smileys...

... - can mean "ok that was dumb" or etc., or "but maybe not" I just had to put it in there. :p

Sargon

Reaction score
This really doesn't belong in this forum. Moved to Warcraft Talk.

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
nvm - Nevermind
fps- either first person shooter or frames per second.
lan- Local area network
isp- Internet service provider
FHS- Foothill high school (OH YEAH!)
yaafm- You Are A F**king Moron

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
mixmax2 said:
pwn- a term that stands for pawn, a way of saying i totally dominate you.

It actually started as a mistype of own, which means that I totally kick(ed) (your) ass.

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
nah, pwn comes from the romanian powne which means to dominate in every way possible, but we got rid of the oe and boom, pwn.

Edited. Please do not spam periods like that.
EDIT- bleh dint want them to look at top and then quickly to bottom :D

im just kidding, maybe had you fooled for a sec tho :D

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
lag - latiency (sp?) 1.a slow connection 2.a slow dler (lagger) 3.delay between clicking and the response

laggzor - a wayzor to sayzor lagger with -zor on the endzor

sfx - special effect

haxxor - 1.someone who is a hacker 2.apperently any infernal who does well in tree tag (...)

*Number 2 of haxxor is sarcasim of corse, but thats what most ent players seem to say (I've heard one use those exact words)

Pm - private message

gtg - got to go

hf - have fun, high five

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I can't believe I have to correct someone on their 1337 terms. T_T

UnknowVector said:
haxxor - 1.someone who is a hacker 2.apperently any infernal who does well in tree tag (...)

Haxxor is uually pronounced h4xx0rz, Your a hacker, you have hacks, I'm going to hack you, etc. When someone puts zor, xor, or zorz, they usually use an 0 instead of o.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
tys1701 said:
KFA-Kayboard Fly Away

Umm, I've never heard that used before. I've heard AFK, which means Away From Keyboard, but not kfa (Which doesn't make since anyways)

S

Slaughter

@ Rad - he's right though...'j/k' or 'jk' is 'just kidding,' which stands alone as a message better than 'joking.'

@ Conan - lazy 1337 bothers me. haxor is so...bland. more people need to put like |-| /\ >< >< 0 IR IR and stuff...b.net is home of some of the most lame 13375P33|<

Did anyone put
w/e - whatever

IMO - in my opinion
IMHO - (usually appears in all caps, because people saying IMHO are usually either pretending to be very pompous, or is so) in my _humble_ opinion.

gtg - 1. gotta go. 2. good to go. meaning is pretty much opposite, but you can usually tell from context, i.e. if they say gtg and then quit, it was the first.

Rad

Reaction score
2.a slow dler (lagger)

My friend Siffur has 56k (Actually its 28k, I call anything under DSL 56k as its inferior to my cable anyways). He took 30 minutes to download parasite, yet he doesnt lag AT ALL. Maybe once or twice he had lagged before, a few times he got disconnected which makes him 'lag' out like for most people.

So, he downloads EXTREMELY slow and people say "boot hes a lagger", so I boot them for being so ignorant. Just because he downloads slow doesnt make him a lagger. I know its not a big deal but Im sure if he used these forums he would be offended by that.

Of course, your first explination for Lag is different from mine. Slow connection yes, but that doesnt automatically make you a "lagger". He has command lag, but thats no problem and hes used to it (But will never be able to play GTA, b/c driving uses arrow keys which lag slightly even for the host...)

My definition of lag is anyone who consistantly goes into the 'lag' screen, not exactly sure what you would call it. If they drop they arent a lagger they simply got disconnected, if it goes back then hes lagging (With some exceptions). You can also lag ex command lag, and when the game seems to 'freeze' for a few seconds.

OTHER GAMES have a totally different setup for "lag", example Guns is retarded as they become invincible and if you can 'fake lag' you can still walk around, and its "lagger friendly" which means its extremely friendly to laggers :nuts:

S

Slaughter

I used to have dial-up. Very rarely lagged, but slow dl always. Rad is right about b.net on dial-up. t's quite reasonable to have a very stable 56k connection and never cause others to have their game stopped (lag screen with timer) or cause stuttery game. I could even host some games without causing problems.

Here at college my dorm network can be quite unstable, and lag screens aren't that rare an occurence. Downloading is FAST but now I lag more.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Pretty much all lag comes from having a slow computer. you can easily lag on T1 even if your computer isn't very good. alternatley you can have a fast computer and 56k (like me) and not lag even the slightest. DL, however, is an entierly opposite case. (you should add DL - Download)

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
ROFLMAOOL-Rolling on floor luaghing my ass of out loud
i actually heard this one on bnet.
heres a good one
UAREANOOB-Legend(haha jk(just kiding))
RF-refresh slots

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.